• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

[Staff Thread] Putting Standards on Reactions Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think that DontTalk's draft can be added now.

I also think that DontTalk's draft can be added now.
I’ll let DT handle the addition because he knows better where to add it on the page.
I strongly doubt DT even has the time for this, so I made the edit myself. Is this acceptable?

I strongly doubt DT even has the time for this, so I made the edit myself. Is this acceptable?
@DontTalkDT

Is this acceptable?

@DontTalkDT

Is this acceptable?
You’re necroing a two months old thread to ask DontTalk if something he wrote is fine where it was put by another staff member.

Yes, what @IdiosyncraticLawyer did was completely acceptable. He’s a content moderator for a reason. He’s competent on what he does.

Stop discrediting our input and relying on one member for every single thing related to calculations.

I am not discrediting your input. I am just trying to make certain that it is accurate. And I was extremely busy and unable to respond to many discussion threads for several months. Stop casting blame at me needlessly.

Seems pretty good.

The only thing I would suggest changing is to mention that the suggested calculation method is not the only possible calculation method, merely the most common one.
In general, you just need to somehow find an estimation of the timeframe in which the character managed to perform some mental reaction to an action, which could be done by any number of methods.
E.g. if a computer does 5000 calculations per second and the character can make a mental reaction faster than the computer can perform 1 calculation, then you know that the perception speed is 1/5000th of a second or better.

I would also make a small reminder regarding calc stacking, since usage of calculated speeds was mentioned.

So I would alter the first paragraph of the "Calculating perception time" section to:
To calculate perception time, the timeframe in which a character was able to process some information or perform some kind of mental reaction needs to be estimated.
The most common way of doing so
requires distance and speed components. The two distances being the distance an object has when it is first in the perception of the character, and then the distance where the character starts to react. The speed can be something calculated or assumed, but preferably it should be a reliable statement stating how fast a projectile, object, or even another character is. Be careful to avoid calc stacking, though. To find perception time, you divide the distance (in meters) by the speed (in meters per second), and you will get the timeframe of the perceptions of the character (in seconds).

Seems pretty good.

The only thing I would suggest changing is to mention that the suggested calculation method is not the only possible calculation method, merely the most common one.
In general, you just need to somehow find an estimation of the timeframe in which the character managed to perform some mental reaction to an action, which could be done by any number of methods.
E.g. if a computer does 5000 calculations per second and the character can make a mental reaction faster than the computer can perform 1 calculation, then you know that the perception speed is 1/5000th of a second or better.

I would also make a small reminder regarding calc stacking, since usage of calculated speeds was mentioned.

So I would alter the first paragraph of the "Calculating perception time" section to:
Done. Close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back