• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dilated Time Speed Calcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan

VS Battles
Calculation Group
There is a problem about "dilated time" speed calcs. Meaning to get a character's speed from his slow-motion perception.

If it comes to slow-motion perception, then it's easy, you just divide the actual speed and the speed in the character's perception and multiply by the speed he's going in his slow-motion perception. For example he's jogging then 3.71 m/s, he's running then maybe 5-7.7 m/s.

The problem is when the character is viewing everything as completely frozen, how do we calc the dilated time? For me, I assume "frozen" things only move 1 mm, then calc the dilated time, but the other calc group members seem to disagree. It would be better if there is some "standard method" or formula to calculate thses "frozen" feats.

That's one possible method.

I will invite all the calc group members and DontTalkDT. Should we make this calc group members only? (Kaltias is still welcome to post here, he could have become a calc group member should he want to)

Your choice if this should be calc group or staff, for me it's indifferent.

Should I highlight this?

We generally use the speed of a snail (0.0001m/s) as an approximation to the word "frozen" in fiction, since it's difficult to know if they're just painfully, painfully slow or really suspended.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
Thing is, some calc group members (namely Antoniofer) disagree with using 1 mm.
I disagreed with using the distance of 1 mm (that cames from nowhere), apparently is used 1 mm/s when everything is frozen, a speed unit, and it cames to comparing to a snail, so that is something. Also, in your calc everything weren't entirely frozen, some characters, attacks and Cap's shield were moving, slow, but not as slow as a snail.

1 mm is the standard for these things on the OBD.

I explained how Cap's shield isn't moving. But let's not derail this thread.

If you agree about a standard, it is probably good to write it down in one of the calculation instructions pages linked to in the front page. The question is which one that would be most appropriate.

Same about Kal's method. Though in real life time appears to slow to a crawl/stop as you approach/hit light speed.

Though in fiction it might be treated differently when there's simply a vast speed difference.

I've actually thought about this issue before. Can't believe I never thought of using a snail.

I can agree with Kal's suggestion. However snails are still visibly moving if you look closely enough imo.

So everyone seems to agree with using a snail.

However, we have to decide what value of a snail should we use. Kaltias suggests 0.001 m/s, Kepekley23 suggests 0.0001 m/s and Antoniofer suggests 0.0049 m/s.

Most people seem to agree with Kaltias though.

So, where should this value be listed specifically?

I suppose, but it depends on if there is enough material to add to it.

I don't think so, it's as simple as creating a ratio between something fast and slow. It could be added as a footnote to a pre-existing page.

Okay. One of our more general calculation instruction pages perhaps?

Okay. Could you or some other calc group member check for a good page and spot to place it in?

Perhaps somebody could ask all of the other calc group members to give input here?

I'd prefer the median of snail speed. It's based on a real figure rather than one pulled to sound small.

That seems fine to me as well, but we still have to decide the practical issue of where to place the new instruction.

I also agree with Kals method, I think using a snail's speed is a solid low ball.

Where does 1 mm come from?

Okay, so in which of the calculation instruction pages should this information be placed, and is any of you willing to handle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back