• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Design Wars: Pokemon vs Digimon vs Bakugan vs SMT

@Cal

You really think Gardevoir holds a candle to Angewomon? Think about this for a sec. ovo

Might I add that Gardevoir is technically an animal so having the hots for her is basically **********. ovo

Who outside of furries actually have the hots for Renamon? Sakuyamon is a different story...but she's no longer a beast Digimon but a Miko.

I take back a little of what I said about SMT designs. There's a few that are actually cool, while Jack Frost is cute (in the Mew way, not the Lilymon way).

Rip Bakugan, wil- I mean, won't be remembered in all of this.<s/>

I love SMT as a source of designs for fairly simple reasons. I actually feel like I am diving into the manifested insanity of huamn culture across the years. Serpent-demon-things with insect wings, deonic faces and spikes and multi ****, or simply angelic beings of great beauty/disturbing and alien appearence. A little girl that asks you to die for her like something out of an urban tale, humanoid and Eldritch, ******* weird and pretty normal, the SMT 1 MCs design from unfortunate youngster to hardened verran fighter in a world of apocalyptic death. There's normal and abnormal, beautiful and purely ugly, what seems of human conception to... not quite so.

YHVH's Fallen Form never stops amazing looking wicked and cool and still like he has truly fallen to a mere, if powerful, demon... And Pixie is damn bae, all be damned ovo.

This is an interesting topic, especially since SMT was actually one of the works that inspired the Digimon artwork (Along with Image Comics - And the whole American Comic book scenario and Saint Saiya).

Kenj Watanabe: While drawing Nefertimon, we had discussed about giving it a mask designed with mythological motifs in mind, so I would draw one and show them, asking "How's this? Does it look cool?". And they would reply "No, there's something off about the vibe this mask gives!" and just wouldn't give in (laughs). So I asked "What kind of vibe should I give the mask, then?", to which they replied "The mask from Saint Seiya might work" (laughs).We also talked about how the illustrations from the Megami Tensei series were really stylish and cool. A lot of the art had a really unique feel; sometimes you couldn't tell if something was meant to be a god or a monster, and you would wonder where some of the motifs come from. Sometimes, I also got bursts of inspiration while looking through the games and media that were popular at the time. I thought having Digimon be monsters that were formed by taking data from various 'mythologies' or 'animals' was a nice idea. However, if I followed their mythological descriptions too closely, I'd just end up with something that looks like the designs already in other media out there, so I kept that in mind while designing. I think the resulting Digimon designs are quite rich in variation as a result.

So this begs the question, what do you think about the rest?

Also, kinda surprised on the "cool" aspect of SMT demons.

The real cal howard said:
So this begs the question, what do you think about the rest?
Also, kinda surprised on the "cool" aspect of SMT demons.
Well, that text is from an actual interview with official Digimon staff. This means that Digimon is basically a combination of everything. ovo

The real cal howard said:
I take back a little of what I said about SMT designs. There's a few that are actually cool, while Jack Frost is cute (in the Mew way, not the Lilymon way).
SMT designs are a mixed bag. Sometimes I feel like the artists get a little stuck up their own ass with symbolism or subversion but some designs are pretty damn cool.

Some of my favorites was (original) Asura, Vishnu, Hecatoncheires, Setanta and Darkness. Least favorites are probably Mothman and Zeus (both deisgns).

I have a thing for snow-white skin, bowl cut hair, scarfs and spears

At least it's better than Cu Chulain and Tam Lin who both look like they're riding an invisible horse.

Necrozma is a big challenge against Digimon. But you raise a Necrozma and I raise a Jesmon X.

Jesmon X New Render

" there is not much detail but that is okay because they feel natural."

I mean, it's already been mentioned but Pokémon are animals and Digimon are made of data. Them not all looking natural is normal.

Eh, I mean Yamask is literally a dead human and Drifloons carry away children. Dusknoir takes people's souls or something too.

" the athmosphere that the pokemon make is more kid friendly and nice, it sticks out even if its simple."

I am here to talk about how is possible to have literally 16 keys of Dragonoid and 15 of them are 2-C and almost the same guy with minimun differences

In fact, the main designer of the Pokémon Card Game when he was called to work with Digimon, said he loved the complex designs with spikes and greater female sexual detail when compared to Pokémon 0v0.

Executor N0 said:
In fact, the main designer of the Pokémon Card Game when he was called to work with Digimon, said he loved the complex designs with spikes and greater female sexual detail when compared to Pokémon 0v0.
I forgot that was a thing.

The Digimon design of Kagemaru Himeno (Pokemon TCG designer) is very natural,it's very good.

MamemonX Collectors Perfect Card

What if someone was to make a creature that fuses the styles of FF, Digimon, Pokemon, SMT and Bakugan. What would we get?

Back