• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SMT Concerns and Inconsistencies

DarkDragonMedeus

Hard Working Individual
He/Him
VS Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
I recently played Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster, and thus have gotten a lot more interested in SMT as a whole and getting into others; next one I might play when I have time is SMTV. But I looked through the pages and noticed some inconsistencies in the stats that don't always line up with the scaling chains mentioned. I'll start with the weakest characters we have on the profile and work up.

The weakest demons at least as far as ones with profiles are the regular commoner forms are Pixie and Jack Frost. They are rated as 8-C based on two feats; the boulder moving feat and this outdated calculation. The issues? The latter is actually 9-A now. But this may not be a downgrade, but an upgrade. I made a calculation pending input, but it may actually give a slight upgrade. But the previous link for Lharm Derg vaporization should still be replaced. There are a few early game protagonists who have keys scaling to them in AP and speed. Only human characters effected by this are the early game Navarre and Asahi

Now next topic since it's pretty short is the speed. I know most if not everyone should pretty much be Immeasurable. There were a couple 1-A characters with Unknown speed ratings whom was agreed to just outright upscale from characters much weaker who also have Immeasurable speed. Also, I noticed every demon save the 2 mentioned have Immeasurable in all keys save ones Omnipresent. But the issue is that we have a whole bunch of protagonists in their early game keys; some ranging from Tier 8 to Low 2-C who are rated as Relativistic+ to Speed of Light to FTL scaling from Plasmas who attack using EMR Waves. Sure looks cool, but in the AP section. It mentions that they also scale from Aeros. And according to the likes of Nemissa or Demi-Fiend, Aeros are Immeasurable speed and those are comparable to Plasma's too apparently. So perhaps we could upgrade all those Relativistic+, Speed of Light, or FTL characters to Immeasurable? Or should those two have their early keys downgraded. If the statements on Demi-Fiend's profile are true, I'd vote for the upgrade. And of course Nahobino really should be Immeasurable since he scales from Anahita most likely.

Now as for the Tier 8 to Tier 6 scaling, while the 8-C and High 8-C's might gets upgrades via Pixie's feat, some other 8-A to 6-B are pretty inconsistent. King Frost has a neat High 6-A feat, but I'm wondering where Black Frost would be. He can only be fought after numerous Low 1-C bosses are beaten, and he guards the Satan Magatama. He is also an optional boss, and optional bosses tend to be stronger than even various late game bosses. Speaking of which, Demi-Fiend's profile in his Low 2-C key has mentions of Thor being in his scaling chain who is Low 1-C. Several other Low 2-C characters have "Superior to Thor" mentioned in the speed sections. Seems like some Low 2-C's should be Low 1-C if it's consistent. Not sure how that would effect Matador however, he may be the weakest of the 10 fiends but I wasn't sure how he's that much weaker. Though he is stated to be comparable to Morax which is where the Low 2-C scaling starts. Speaking of which Yumiko is Low 2-C early on for no reason. But her late game key says she's comparable to Akemi, who is Low 1-C in early game while being comparable to Loki and the like. So Low 1-C for hear early game same reasons? Then there is this guy, his 6-B not only mentions Aeros and plasma in scaling chains, he also defeated Archangels. Which based on Michael or Gabriel, Archangels are Low 1-C. Demi-Fiend also fights them fairly early game too. Though I guess it's skeptical to assume the nameless common archangels are on par with the real archangels. But Tanado's Low 1-C also mentions three characters who are Low 1-C, most notable Asura. So more inconsistencies?

Now there are some Low 1-C's who appear like they belong in the 1-A scaling. Theodore is listed as being equal to Elizabeth, but he's only Low 1-C where as she is 1-A. Elizabeth defeated multiple entities who are 1-A apparently, so 1-A. Also, Noah also feels downplayed. Despite being a boss in the Tower of Kagutsuchi, he is only Low 1-C. I am not disagreeing with him being overall weaker than Ahriman or Baal Avatar, but why would be weaker than various 1-A characters fought as common enemies such as Mitra and Mot (Who is consistently stated to be equal Anat and Baal on a lot of profiles) Mot and Mitra were also bosses in the Diet Building before this. Noah is easily above Demi-Chiaki who stomped the combined might of the three Archangels if you decide to agree with her. I know Thor also appears in that tower and was stomped by Demi-Fiend but so was Baal Avatar Chiaki. I know it seems a bit outliersish, but Odin at least got a 1-A key in SMT4, so maybe Thor could get the same for SMT3 End Game? He was both an early game boss and and near end game boss. I know some people might argue the Four Heavenly Kings would have a 1-A feat by this logic since they guard the Masakados Magatama and require beating Ahriman at minimum before facing them. But those are outliers or something that would grant a very specific amp. Still, I think all Tower of Kagutsuchi bosses should be fairly within the same ballpark. And don't have much to say for many others though I do notice games with a lot of profiles have inconsistencies where only some characters have 1-A end game keys while others are Low 1-C.

Edit: Some other things were discussed, so a recap of what is agreed and what is rejected.
  • Low 2-C and below are not Immeasurable and are to be downgraded to Relativistic+ combat speed
  • Pixies getting upgraded to 8-B as well as other fodder demons/characters who scale
  • Nameless Archangels are NOT Low 1-C, so some characters being that high that early on is rejected
  • Some deleted pages might need to be removed from the verse page until they get remade
Stuff to still be discussed and/or saved for later.
  • Some protagonists are going to have their early keys reorganized to match who they scale from, but may be saved for a later thread and details will be spared until ready
  • Noah scaling to other bosses in the Tower of Kagutsuchi still has yet to be discussed
  • It has yet to be decided if Thor being a Tower of Kagutsuchi boss is an outlier, or if he may have an end of SMT III exclusive key
  • Theodore being Elizabeth's equal and being 1-A looks pretty simple but no comments were made
  • Plenty of other things that should be saved for later and NOT for this thread.

Last edited:
Yup plated my first SMT game, and it was something a friend considered one of his favorite games of all time.
Yeah Nocturne has a pretty good track record for peeps loving it and I'm glad to hear you liked it as well (I enjoyed it myself but I hadn't beat it fully) though I've played like 5 persona games beat 2 and played nocturne for quite a bit

Don't know all the stuff there so I'll answer what I know.

So the Archangels =/= Gabriel and Michael. They're just common angels to fill in the ranks of Heaven and don't scale to them obviously.

Speed's being worked for a later revision so we can leave that for another time. But long story short they're not Immeasurable so yeah.

For Thor, depends how late game DF is. For Odin's case, he was fighting a Flynn that was ready to take on Lucifer and Merkabah. Thor's scaling depends on when in time Demi-Fiend was.

So the Archangels =/= Gabriel and Michael. They're just common angels to fill in the ranks of Heaven and don't scale to them obviously.
I pretty much figured
Speed's being worked for a later revision so we can leave that for another time. But long story short they're not Immeasurable so yeah.
Not all Immeasurable perhaps, but I was positive the Tier 2 and above cast were and that Tier 1 cast definitely were, statements seemed to have met criteria for Immeasurable do exist based on various statements.
For Thor, depends how late game DF is. For Odin's case, he was fighting a Flynn that was ready to take on Lucifer and Merkabah. Thor's scaling depends on when in time Demi-Fiend was.
Thor fights him twice, first early game during the Trial of strength, he wasn't higher than Low 1-C then. But he later fights Demi-Fiend who is later ready to take on Kagutsuchi and later Lucifer. In the True Demon Route, he fights the same Demi-Fiend that defeated Metatron and on his way to fight Lucifer.

After talking about it on Discord server, was informed about some concerns that will be saved for later, but Yumiko still needs a 1st key fixed in some way or form, and Theodore appears to have some face value 1-A scaling in the justification.

Was informed only those Low 1-C and above are Immeasurable speed via more elaborate statements. And Cognative Physiology was going to be rewritten and some deleted pages might need their links removed from verse pages at least till they get recreated possibly.

It's important to note that even their low end keys are more so specifically talking about ones fought in random enemy encounters. Since hypothetically, any demon that joins the party could eventually reach 1-A via leveling up; just look at Nocturne Pixie. And Archetype keys exist just to show how strong every demon including fodder ones could eventually become. Though more accurately, every demon's "Physical form" are merely avatars of their true selves.

I also heard some Low 1-C characters will be getting 1-B upgrades and there are High 1-A upgrades happening eventually. Looking forward to those, but I suppose I will use this thread to handle the simpler things proposed.

It's important to note that even their low end keys are more so specifically talking about ones fought in random enemy encounters. Since hypothetically, any demon that joins the party could eventually reach 1-A via leveling up; just look at Nocturne Pixie. And Archetype keys exist just to show how strong every demon including fodder ones could eventually become. Though more accurately, every demon's "Physical form" are merely avatars of their true selves.

I also heard some Low 1-C characters will be getting 1-B upgrades and there are High 1-A upgrades happening eventually. Looking forward to those, but I suppose I will use this thread to handle the simpler things proposed.
Just wish there were at least some matchable characters in smt without the Smurf hax getting in the way

Funnily enough no one scales to the Gnostic Spheres not even Abraxas. So there are no 1-B characters right now to my knowledge.

The point of the Spheres is to reinforce the idea that the cosmology of the verse is irrelevant compared to Atziluth (baseline 1-A), it doesn't matter if it's 5th-dimensional, 6th-dimensional or 365th-dimensional, all are equally meaningless in comparison to Atziluth. It's just further 1-A evidence if we need it.

I actually can't remember if we're removing archetype keys or not. They're just blueprints of demons which exist in a state of oneness with Atziluth iirc.

Funnily enough no one scales to the Gnostic Spheres not even Abraxas. So there are no 1-B characters right now to my knowledge.

The point of the Spheres is to reinforce the idea that the cosmology of the verse is irrelevant compared to Atziluth (baseline 1-A), it doesn't matter if it's 5th-dimensional, 6th-dimensional or 365th-dimensional, all are equally meaningless in comparison to Atziluth. It's just further 1-A evidence if we need it.

I actually can't remember if we're removing archetype keys or not. They're just blueprints of demons which exist in a state of oneness with Atziluth iirc.
Ah, I see

Bumping this, I have added some brief recap a few things accepted/rejected in the OP, and a few other things that were not yet weighed in on. But I will save some lower tier reorganization discussions for later, but for now I will focus on the more simple parts of the thread. Noah's tier, Theodore's tier, and the possibility of Thor getting a key; first two sound uncontroversial in my eyes so far but the 3rd one I suppose leaning towards calling his ToK boss moment in outlier seems leaned on until further notice.

Downgrading everyone less than Low 1-C to Relativistic+ is something agreed but not sure if people are ready to handle all revisions quite yet. But the Pixie upgrades are the main thing everyone seems like they like to see.

Back