• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Demon Slayer (Kimetsu no Yaiba) Discussion Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard Melee Range: 50 cm - 1 m

• Applies to fighters using mostly their arms and legs as weapons.
  • This includes most standard melee weapons, such as daggers, swords, axes, maces, etcetera.

Then I don't know why most characters on this wiki who use swords/axes/ 1 meters weapons overall have extended melee range

Hmm, it looks more like everything didn't get updated when I was supposed to.

Unless you are talking about an oversized fantasy sword, a normal functional sword IRL is standard melee range (unless sword-throwing is involved, lol).

However the sword slashes of KnY extends beyond normal sword range and do some longer-range shenanigans like in MGR HF blades, which is why it is currently at extended melee range (but it sometimes it can be even higher, which should be indicated in a future CRT).

For example, Tanjiro's water wheel extends longer than his sword. His Waterfall Basin's range allows him to slash enemies on his sides simultaneously, his Twisting Whirpool allows him to create a whirlwind/whirlpool around him (which is Air Manipulation that should be added in future CRT). Tanjiro also does a long-range sword slash with DotFG (which some thought was an outlier or bad paneling where Tanjiro is moving at very high speed)

Not only that, but the extended sword slashes are not just using the air to slice enemies, but it counts as extension of the Nichirin blade. For example, Tanjiro killed the Swamp Demon siblings with his twisting whirpool even though the metal did not touch their neck. Tengen decapitates Daki with a slash that extends tens of meters, and then he asks why she did not disintegrate and crumble yet due to being beheaded which means the long-range slash had the same effect as the Nichirin metal. Gyokko notes that Muichiro's slashes has an amazing attack range, and notes that the Nichirin is going to turn the demon fish into dust even though the metal did not touch the fish if the range extends beyond the blade.

While I disagree about water wheel and the last one, since the panels before it make it quite clear that tanijrou sped past the pair and made that attack. On eighth form, Tanjiruou is attacking the middle demon while the other two find their limbs getting in the way of tonjirou's strike hence why they only lose arms from the attack. I will agree that the whilrwind does extend range when in water though not of the blade, the official translation makes it clear that it pulls people in while cutting make it more likely that the demons got pulled in and then cut by the blade, which also makes more logical sense.

Now for tengen's attack, the damage behind that had already been done before he attacked the demon, and once again the attack itself was a case of speed blitzing done by Tengan.

With the case of Muichoro, while it is a comment that doesn't automatically mean his range is greater then extended melee range.

If there is ambiguity, we can consider them resolved with the anime, especially since the author was considered intimately involved in the adaptio.

For Tanjiro's sword to touch the ground via. water wheel, the sword needs to be longer than his height, which is why it should be considered extended.

Your explanation for the eight form implies that the demon in the middle should be dead or at least much more injured. Also, Tanjiro said that he was going to "take them all" and that he was trying to cut through the demons' vitals (head or possibly torso) which is not plausible without extended range, so they only had their arms cut through the strike being shallow due to Tanjiro suddenly switching forms.

Both the official and unofficial translation stated that Tanjiro forms a giant blade that sucks his enemies in; a giant blade implies that the whirpool is what does the cutting. (the official translation is not necessarily better; it is criticized for inconsistencies and mistakes especially in the beginning) For the unofficial we have: "The whirl-pool forms a giant and sharp blade... Destroying everything around and slicing open anything caught in its way." For the official we have: "The spin becomes a large sharp blade... Dragging in anything around it and cutting it up." And of course we have the anime adaption scene to support this.

Tengen's attack can be adequately explained by a speed blitz, so I concede on that.

For Muichiro, is either extended or several meters; surely longer than his 0.8 m sword. Muichiro jumped up in the air, and then neatly sliced thousands of fish under him before he lands on the ground; that alone implies longer than standard melee range.

So looking at the Korean scans of the latest chapter it seems like Muzan is finally doing something other than swinging his whips around. I have absolutely no idea why he didn't just use these abilities from the start.

Muzan also used his whips to suck air and create whirlwinds, and used his thighs to generate surprise whips! Never understimate the whip moonwalk!

If Muzan uses a new ability, any surviving demon slayer will be more prepared for it next time (and he gave up on killing all demon slayers in one night). So it can be explained with him preferring not to reveal too many of his abilities per encounter.

By the way, an early translation from the Korean scans was already made which I gathered below; plot-wise it makes sense more than ever for Muzan and Tanjiro to get a power-up or get healed. Also, there is a mystery of how Muzan's technique works; it managed to somehow affect the Ubuyashiki through the talisman so we might get more information about it.

Chapter 197 Translation
Tamayo: I don't have to be stronger than you to kill you
If I can make you weaker

Just as you will do aanything to live

I... 'We' will do anything to kill you

[Muzan]: If it was like usual

All this would be meaningless

This level of attack, of damage, would be ineffective on me

Any demon hunter was far behind that man

Even that fatigue of Regenerationn would be minuscule

But those four drugs have turned all those ineffective attacks

Into as effective attacks as possible and drive my body into a corner

[Muzan]: I never imagined that woman would make that many drugs in such a short time

And it's completly different from what they used on Douma

It's my first time tasting this

It's taking time to analyze and decompose it

[Tanjiro]: !!

He stopped moving

I think it's thanks to Tamayo-san's drug

It's possible!

We can win! It's only a little bit left until sunrise

[Muzan does his Thunder Cross Split Attack]

[Tanjiro]: (Gasping) What - Just - Attack - Shock - Stopped - Shockwave - Gyh - Gyh - Convulsing - Can't move - Breath - Breath is - Breathing is - Body - Body is - Can't -Can't -I can't - Muzan - Muzan - Mu - Escaping - Escape - Escape - Escape

Rengoku Sr.: Master!

Ubuyashiki Jr.: I'm

I'm fine

Don't worry

Are Obanai and Tanjirou safe

[Rengoku Sr.]: Muzan's attack can reach all the way here?

There's no way

There's no way he's discovered us here

White-haired Ubuyashiki: The eyes...

The position of the eyes have changed, so I can't see

Until daybreak comes

It's...

Twenty five minutes

Ubuyashiki Jr.: Just

A little more... A little more

Lock Muzan down

Please, somebody... Someone who can fight...

[Tanjiro]: Stand up

I have to stand up

Aaa I can't breathe

Lungs... Lungs are squashed

That

I

Where is Iguro-san

Muzan is escaping...!!

Inosuke: (Heavy breathing) You

Hit me

Pretty good. I won't forgive you

[Tanjiro]: Inosuke

Inosuke

Danger

It's dangerous

[Muzan]: (Heavy breathing) I can't unleash a blood demon technique

My fatigue has piled up

Inosuke: (Heavy breathing) We'll cover this

(Heavy breathing) Old man prayer beads' leg

And half-and-half haori's arm are torn off

The bodies of the comrades I ate meals together with are scattered about

Give them back

The hands, the feet

Give back all of those lives

If that isn't possible

Inosuke: Then die a million times as an apology!!

[Tanjiro]: Inosuke!!

Aaa Inosuke!!

Help, I have to help

I can't, I'm dying

I'm going to die first...!!

Zenitsu: Inosuke, hang in there!

Tanjirou is still alive, I can hear the sound of his heart (Cough)

Zenitsu: Tanjirou, just think about living

Listen to me, you're not dead

There's no way you'll die

You're going home with Nezuko-chan

With a Nezuko-chan that's been returned to a human

You have to return to your hometown

Your family is waiting

For you to return

Inosuke: Keugh

[Tanjiro]: A blood demon technique

Muddled up my nervous system

If that's the case

Wouldn't nichirin

Be

Effective

Lift

Hold, lift

Quickly

Quickly

Stab it in the gap

Between blood vessels

Avoid vital areas

[Tanjiro]: Come

On

Please

Stop

Stop

The convulsions

[Muzan]: (Heavy breathing) I can't move my arm

My body is like a heavy chunk of lead

Zenitsu: (Heavy breathing)

[Muzan]: He can still stand up

Inosuke: (Heavy breathing)

[Muzan]: These vermin bastards

[Narrator]: Without missing a beat

They gather

Together

They stand any number of times

Until dawn breaks

Until their lives' last breath

Inosuke and Zenitsu coming in! Also the rest of the Demon Slayers are joining the fray

The story keeps coming up with ways to prevent Tanjiro from fighting so that the other Demon Slayers have a chance to save him

Point being, Muzan and Tanjiro definitely gonna get healed and even a powerup, the stories probably gonna have them have a final 1v1 at the 5 minutes left mark or something, the other Demon Slayers will be biding time till Tanjiro gets healed

Such badasses Inosuke and Zenitsu. I almost cried a manly tear seeing Inosuke crying for his dead and injured comrades, you dont see that side of him all the time. Seems like its Himejima and Giyuu's turn of being the meat shield, like Tokito did before, they cant allow any pillar-level slayer with all their limbs to get taken out from combat.

He probably wouldn't. Muzan is so weak now that even Mitsuri was able to rip off his arms. At this point everybody is probably just around 8-C due to being wounded and weakened.

I remember him saying it was wrong but didn't he say he was going to update it? Or did it turn out that the remade calc is nothing impressive so he didn't bother changing it?

I have a really bad feeling now... everything's going too well, Nezuko still needs to arrive and Muzan's getting overwhelmed

Could Muzan evolve and get sun resistance because one of the poisons in his body is accidentally the perfect cure for the sun...

I feel the final battle needs one more power boost for Muzan

I'm not sure how they could kill Muzan if he manages to develop sun resistance. But it is true that things have gone too smoothly, so something bad is bound to happen. I'm mostly wondering how good could the animation of this be when and if the anime does this fight.

Yeah I also don't think they are gonna win this easily. I also think one of the 4 different poisons had an accidental side effect that made him immune to the sunlight.

I just hope it ends with a perfected 13th Form Tanjiro vs Muzan, it doesn't have to and there's a solid possibility it won't, but I really want to see Tanjiro reach the level or Yoriichi

As for how the story is going to go, I have no idea, I honestly have no idea how it's all going to end

Muzan will die with the 13th form with the scars as a reference, however everyone's game plan is to stall for the sun, so Muzan will probably become sun-immune.

Nezuko also came for the purpose of saving her brother, but she can't add anything as a normal human, so will probably get a powerup related to rejecting the medicine.

Muzan gotta eat, and Wani is merciless (these are crocodile tears if I've ever seen them). Obanai had one heck of a redemption arc, but he gotta go to allow others to shine. Gyomei doesn't have long to live due to the Mark, so he is going out with a bang. Giyuu is foreveralone, so I am thinking he'll survive.

So Zenitsu says "I am too slow" after landing a hit on Muzan with Thunderclap and Flash, he then uses Godspeed. This proves that Zenitsu's speed correlates to his attack power, so he should be eligible for Kinetic Energy Feats. This would upgrade him to 8-B+, and other characters would be upgraded via. scaling.

This is looking like the end, I imagine one or two more chapters till Muzan dies, Tanjirou lost his arm and proves once again why he is the strongest Demon Slayer in the group right now, everyone got blown away by Muzan's attack besides him, then he got absorbed into the flesh and is now probably gonna do the 13th Form from within Muzan himself

That's just insane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back