• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Yeah I saw this trailer just a couple minutes ago and, being a fan of the Showa Era and having recently seen Godzilla Minus One, there's something about this movie which seems....off putting. As in, there's something about The New Empire which screams being goofy but not in an endearing way.

Now seeing the big G getting a new power up is pretty neato and all that, but that final shot of him and Kong with some robotic arm running towards the screen like that just seems so cursed and unintentionally funny

image0.jpg
Goku_VS_Superman_Taurless.png
image0.jpg

Yeah I saw this trailer just a couple minutes ago and, being a fan of the Showa Era and having recently seen Godzilla Minus One, there's something about this movie which seems....off putting. As in, there's something about The New Empire which screams being goofy but not in an endearing way.

Now seeing the big G getting a new power up is pretty neato and all that, but that final shot of him and Kong with some robotic arm running towards the screen like that just seems so cursed and unintentionally funny
It's just a gauntlet, not a robot arm.

I'm interested to see where this movie goes. We got a new monster (who's an ape, that's cool), a new civilization, and Godzilla's got a new random power-up. That literally reads like a Showa era script.

It's just a gauntlet, not a robot arm.

I'm interested to see where this movie goes. We got a new monster (who's an ape, that's cool), a new civilization, and Godzilla's got a new random power-up. That literally reads like a Showa era script.
Yeah it definitely does fit the motif and atmosphere of a Showa Godzilla movie, though I hope that it's not too campy if that makes sense. Because, coming from someone who's found new love and appreciation for Godzilla 2014, I wouldn't want New Empire to focus solely on being silly and fun and not acknowledge the dark and deep aspects to the Monsterverse.

Now my opinion will be subject to change once more trailers and the actual movie itself come out, but I wouldn't want it to be a pure circus

I'm sure readers can make and argue a counterpoint by citing an example, but on a whole his character on a fundamental, conceptual level is just so boring and uninspiring deus ex machina who's used as a plot device to resolve any on-going conflicts that can't be resolved by the other heroes, and the only other way writers can make real tension is by escalation~
Sounds like you unironically bought into Goku vs Superman 2’s NLF lol

Yeah it definitely does fit the motif and atmosphere of a Showa Godzilla movie, though I hope that it's not too campy if that makes sense. Because, coming from someone who's found new love and appreciation for Godzilla 2014, I wouldn't want New Empire to focus solely on being silly and fun and not acknowledge the dark and deep aspects to the Monsterverse.

Now my opinion will be subject to change once more trailers and the actual movie itself come out, but I wouldn't want it to be a pure circus
Oh I gotcha.

I'm sorry to say that I don't see that happening. Godzilla vs Kong made the Monsterverse viable, I'm betting that's the template they're using going forward.

Oh I gotcha.

I'm sorry to say that I don't see that happening. Godzilla vs Kong made the Monsterverse viable, I'm betting that's the template they're using going forward.
Let me be a tad more clear with my prior statement: Campiness in Godzilla is both universal and it's something I do thoroughly enjoy, but only if there's heart and soul put into it. While Godzilla vs Kong dipped more into Showa then Heisei or Millennium, GvK was still a movie made by people who gave a shit about these characters and knew when to take a second to have a quiet moment or get some development in the case of people like Kong.

Now, Adam Wingard is directing New Empire so I do have faith that he can balance silliness with depth and heart...but I just don't want it to be completely silly without thought put into it. That's ultimately why, though I'm excited, I feel some concern for how they will tone New Empire

Back