• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DBS Manga: God Tier speed upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those scans don't seem to work anymore by the way.
Do you doubt any of their validity?

I was mistaken about that. I thought Goku crash-landed there after being propelled by the planet's explosion.

What actually happened was that he got in one of the Ginyu Squad's spaceships and it flew him to Planet Yardrat over an unknown span of time.
Both realities wouldn't refute the idea of Yardrat being outside of the galaxy, so it's not really relevant.

Well, in my opinion.

Across when referring to movement over a distance means 'from one end to the other' without any further context, across the road, across the river etc

I mean, if anyone has an issue with it being literal, then the burden of proof is on them to say so, if anyone thinks it's from one galaxy to another, again, burden is on them to prove so

Gas was stated to fly across the universe in a distance too far for one IT trip, if there's proof that this statement is not literal or it means he flew within a galaxy or any other assumption, they must be proven, taking the statement as it is provides the least amount of assumption. Saying "it could be this or that" is not a reason to ignore Occam razor

They didn't say across a galaxy
They didn't say across galaxies

They said across the universe

It's like a statement saying someone went across the planet earth, and then one starts saying it could mean from a city to the next in one country, or one country to the next in the same continent, and even this would pale to this particular case

Last edited:
Well, in my opinion.

Across when referring to movement over a distance means 'from one end to the other' without any further context, across the road, across the river etc

I mean, if anyone has an issue with it being literal, then the burden of proof is on them to say so, if anyone thinks it's from one galaxy to another, again, burden is on them to prove so

Gas was stated to fly across the universe in a distance too far for one IT trip, if there's proof that this statement is not literal or it means he flew within a galaxy or any other assumption, they just be proven, taking the statement as it is provides the least amount of assumption. Saying "it could be this or that" is not a reason to ignore Occam razor

It's like a statement saying someone went across the planet earth, and then one starts saying it could mean from a city to the next in one country, or one country to the next in the same continent, and even this would pale to this particular case
100% agree with this
why are we not literally taking this at face value?

In English, across generally implies moving from end to end. So unless the translation missed some nuance, I would say a universal distance is fair. Of course, this would also imply that Cereal is on the edge of the universe.

Well, in my opinion.

Gas was stated to fly across the universe in a distance too far for one IT trip, if there's proof that this statement is not literal or it means he flew within a galaxy or any other assumption, they must be proven, taking the statement as it is provides the least amount of assumption. Saying "it could be this or that" is not a reason to ignore Occam razor

Absolutely agree the burden of proof is on opposition to prove that it is not literal when it has shown to teleport to great distance remember with I.t goku can teleport to new namek which could be in the another galaxy than earth so goku resorting to use i.t many times proves the distance is huge

Or it could mean that goku didn't have a ki signature to lock on now remember goku is capable of scanning large distances in space for ki signatures which can range to multi galactic distance goku not being able to lock on vegeta's ki signature on planet cereal and had use I.t many times proves that the distance is very great and the statement flying across the universe makes sense here

Last edited:
I don't think across the universe is a literal statement here, it is used to say they travelled in space, but there's no indication that planet Cereal and the dinosaur planet stand at the two edges of the universe.

It indeed is a super long distance, possibly superior to the one between Earth and Beerus's planet, I don't know if that was ever calced, but Gas's little experience with IT might have something to do with it, considering he could Teleport-Hop back like Goku did, despite having a superior form of IT.

We know for sure its many many lightyears outside of a nebula, so I could do a quick calc on the radius of an average nebula ( and add it to what our galaxy?) or should we just use nebula size?

Also Gas didn't use IT.

I thought "宇宙" meant "universe".
Largely context-based. Either way, the overall meaning of the sentence is unchanged; Gas's travel took place throughout space/the universe, as he passed through the numerous planets he and Goku teleported about towards Cereal, but nothing ever implies he traveled across the entire diameter.

It can also refer to space in general
Yea, according to a translator I used, that statement either can be gas travelled through space or can also be through the universe

Unless we have a reason to think the official dragon ball site made a mistake on which interpretation it picked? I mean if either one can be used there, why not take the one on the official site at face value I keep they got it completely wrong?

It’s a machine translation, they didn’t pick anything, it wouldn’t matter either, traveling though the universe isn’t always a universal travel feat.

It’s a machine translation, they didn’t pick anything,
By "they" I mean whatever translated the words, if the translation on the site says universe, and universe is indeed ola correct interpretation, why bother trying to change it to something else?
it wouldn’t matter either, traveling though the universe isn’t always a universal travel feat.
Except it said they flew across, which is why it being a universe or not is the only issue worth discussing

The average nebula is 8000 light-year across. Goku needed 5 ITs to teleport back so it should be 40000 light years.

That doesn't quite work because Goku wasn't necessarily teleporting in a consistently straight line away from Planet Cereal nor was he necessarily teleportating the same distance; he was just jumping between locations where he could sense someone he was familiar with.

That doesn't quite work because Goku wasn't necessarily teleporting in a consistently straight line away from Planet Cereal nor was he necessarily teleportating the same distance; he was just jumping between locations where he could sense someone he was familiar with.
The minimum of 8,000 light years is still a good enough low end as Beerus' planet is further (far further) than a simple nebula away, and Gas' Instant Transmission should still be on par with Goku's casual uses of it, yet, it was too great of a distance for him to do it in one go.

The minimum of 8,000 light years is still a good enough low end as Beerus' planet is further (far further) than a simple nebula away, and Gas' Instant Transmission should still be on par with Goku's casual uses of it, yet, it was too great of a distance for him to do it in one go.

Sure, it's better than the other suggestions from what I've seen.

The major deciding factor in determining the minimum distance is the range of Instant Transmission—which can transport Vegeta from Planet Yardrat, which exists outside of the Galactic Patrol's jurisdiction, to Earth.

The average nebula is 8000 light-year across. Goku needed 5 ITs to teleport back so it should be 40000 light years.

Nice...

Lets keep that in mind, we might still be able to get a more accurate distance, I know for sure Goku's IT can go way further than that.

The major deciding factor in determining the minimum distance is the range of Instant Transmission—which can transport Vegeta from Planet Yardrat, which exists outside of the Galactic Patrol's jurisdiction, to Earth.

Alright this is a good point.

This suggests Goku's IT can travel galactic distances.

What do you guys think?

Idk why nobody is keeping this in mind but the distance could be more than galactic remember goku and vegeta are capable of sensing ki signatures from very large distances in space goku not being able to sense vegeta ki and opt to use I.t many instead of directly I.t to vegeta means that the distance is far from galactic or you could argue vegeta ki was low

It's not necessarily about Goku's range though. Goku states that Gas' range is inferior to his own.
This is entirely different from what's being talked about, sure gas' teleportation is inferior, but the point is that gas had to fly a distance that was too far to travel in I.T in one jump. And gas was able to traverse that distance. Gas just wasn't able to jump back to all the different spots they had went to. And we also know goku talks about how skillful gas is with I.T and how they were using it sloppily, like the fight with granolah.

This is entirely different from what's being talked about, sure gas' teleportation is inferior, but the point is that gas had to fly a distance that was too far to travel in I.T in one jump. And gas was able to traverse that distance. Gas just wasn't able to jump back to all the different spots they had went to.
Exactly, because unlike Goku, Gas did not know the ki signatures of Jaco, Monaka, etc. but was guided by Goku's ki to follow him.

Exactly, because unlike Goku, Gas did not know the ki signatures of Jaco, Monaka, etc. but was guided by Goku's ki to follow him.
Goku would say that if that was what he meant. Your explanation does not line up with Goku's words in that page I linked.

Goku would say that if that was what he meant. Your explanation does not line up with Goku's words in that page I linked.
He literally follows up with he is using this technique for years and years meaning the mastery of the technique is in question not range since goku has better ki sensing than gas

Well, but some type of rationale would be needed for why Gas's IT rank is inferior to Goku's in more than just mastery.

That's interdimensional travel and can't be calculated through conventional means.
It is likely that hopping from a dimension to another is easier than crossing astronomical material distances.
That is indeed a problem, aye.

Dude goku is literally talking about the mastery of it in the same panel that you linked, and why does this matter? We can still calculate a distance because goku couldn't travel back to the cerealian planet in one go regardless.

The statement seems to imply to me that higher mastery grants more sensory range for the IT technique to lock onto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back