• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
Introductio

Hello everyone, hope you're doing well.

So, this has long been overdue. I've spoken about my intent to make this thread in the past for months now, but only now have got the time to do it. So let's just get to it with no further delay:

Basically? The current state of the Castlevania profiles is grossly exaggerated in regards to Attack Potency, with multiple characters being rated as Multi-Universe level due to frankly faulty feat interpretation. So what should we do about it?

Make them Wall level because no way vampire hunters with whips can be strong obviously.

All joking aside, I have an actual solution to this problem, in the form of various feats that the Castlevania Cast can scale from, which I'll be detailing in the sections below:

Tier 5 & 4 Feats
Castlevania has a few Tier 5 feats, mostly involving the moon.

One of the most famous happens at the beginning of Aria of Sorrow, where the manifestation of Dracula's Castle causes a Solar Eclipse to occur.

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow Part 1 - In Support of IGAvania
(Happens early in the video).

This was calced by Darkanine as Large Planet level.

Worth pointing out that in the game's backstory, the Priest of the Hakuba Shrine, who fought against Dracula alongside Julius Belmont in 1999, also caused a solar eclipse to seal Dracula's Castle inside it. So this is a recurring feat in the game.

Another feat happens in Harmony of Dissonance, where a shattered fragment of Dracula's spirit possesses Maxim, and this leads to Maxim unknowingly creating a parallel Castle dimension as a reflection of his will. Said dimension also has a moon, by the way.

Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance Full game playthrough-1
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance Full game playthrough-1

(Happens on 43:13)

Juste: Aaargh! Death has returned!
Death: Mortal...you know of a man by the name of Maxim, do you not?
Juste: Yes I do! What about him?!
Death: I believe that man has discovered objects that hold my lord's powers.
Juste: ?! You mean Dracula's remains…
Death: My lord's fragmented remains?! Now it makes perfect sense…
Juste: What on earth are you talking about?!
Death: You have provided me with an answer. So I shall reward you with an explanation. It's simple. This castle is a creation of Maxim's will.
Juste: What?! But he's not capable of such a feat!
Death: True of the original Maxim, but possession of my lord's remains changes everything. The castles' two spirits now embody my lord's powers.
Juste: The castles' 'two' spirits?!
Death: Two spirits now exist within his body. His original spirit and a wicked spirit born from my lord's remains.
Juste: What a ridiculous notion…
Death: And so, two castles were born to embody the two spirits. Of the two spirits, the wicked one wanted the castles most.

Speaking of eclipses, in Circle of the Moon, you face Dracula's second form in an alternate dimension, with a solar eclipse visibly happening in the background:

Castlevania Circle of the Moon Final Boss Dracula (2nd Battle) - No Damage, No Subweapons
Castlevania Circle of the Moon Final Boss Dracula (2nd Battle) - No Damage, No Subweapons

This dimension is definitely the creation of Dracula himself, and not just a random place he transports you to. Dracula creating dimensions to serve as battlefields, usually accompanied by a demonic transformation, might as well be a staple of the series at this point.

It happens in Castlevania 64, Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, and Castlevania: Rerbirth.

Hell, this isn't exclusive to Dracula, because Death also creates a dimension in Castlevania: Lament of Innocence.

Why did I list all of those Dimension Creation feats? Well, to convince you that it isn't an inconsistency, but also because one such feat is very significant to determining the tier of the characters.

It happens in Dracula X Chronicles, where upon growing into his second form, Dracula creates a dimension containing a massive black hole that is visibly sucking stars in the background. After he is defeated, the dimension fades, but is soon replaced by another as Dracula changes into his third form.

Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles Stage 8 - Bloodlines-0
Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles Stage 8 - Bloodlines-0

(Happens in 2:47)

Finally, we have Portrait of Ruin, a game absolutely loaded with dimension creation feats. Hell, parallel dimensions are actually central to the plot. Basically, the main villain Brauner creates "multilayer quantum-spaces" contained within portraits, and uses those as conduits to drain the power of Dracula's Castle. Yes, he creates dimensions solely as a means to absorb a manifestation of Dracula's power.

Castlevania Portrait of Ruin Walkthrough (Meeting Wind & City of Haze Pt
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin Walkthrough (Meeting Wind & City of Haze Pt. 2)

(At 6:19)

Charlotte: This painting... Its power is incredible!
Jonathan: Must be one of those paintings…
Charlotte: Without a doubt. Hm... I've got it!
Jonathan: Care to share?
Charlotte: This paintings function. Brauner is using it to control the power of this castle!
Jonathan: Well then, let's hurry up and rip it to shreds!
Charlotte: Impossible. Anything we do will be pointless. From what I can tell, based on the theory of curse amplification, this picture is a multilayer quantum-space barrier. A kind of paranormal phenomenon.
Jonathan: Uh, okay... And what does that mean in human language?
Charlotte: ... In short, think of it as a series of walls that surround the magic controlling Dracula's Castle. The painting itself is just the outermost wall. As soon as you break it, it'll regenerate. It's unbreakable.
Jonathan: How convenient. So now what?
Charlotte: I'll align my magic with the painting's so we can enter it. That'll be the best way to circumvent the castle's magic. the risk is quite high though.
Jonathan: No problem. C'mon, what do we have to lose?
Charlotte: Okay then. Here we go.

(And earlier in the same video, at 5:23)

Wind: Now you should be able to advance deeper into the castle. If you complete the tasks I give to you, I shall teach you even more, including magic skills. I may be able to entrust you with other items in the future as well.
Jonathan: Sounds good to me.
Wind: Oh, one more thing... Regarding this castle's lord.
Charlotte: You mean Dracula right? I've read books about him.
Wind: Dracula isn't this castle's lord.
Jonathan: What do you mean? That's why they call this "Dracula's Castle".

Wind: It is indeed Dracula's Castle. However, the castle's lord is a vampire by the name of Brauner.

Charlotte: I've heard nothing about that!
Wind: As one would expect. His identity has been kept secret for years, after all. He infuses magic into paintings to increase his power. You will undoubtedly come across these paintings in this castle. Search for these paintings.
Charlotte: He's using the paintings to make the castle's power his, isn't he? Still, he isn't Dracula, after all, so we're safe for now.
Wind: Be careful. His power grows stronger by the minute.
Jonathan: No problem. We won't let you be tied down here for long. That's a promise.
Charlotte: trust us. Jonathan might seem unreliable, but he'd never break a promise.
Wind: Heh, that's reassuring. Very well. Best of luck to you.
Jonathan: All right then. Let's go find those paintings!

So how big are these dimensions? Well... There's nine in total. And out of these, one has a moon and a setting su, one has a large solar eclipse, another has a visible su, another has a moon and a starry night sky, and a final has a moo.

So these are numerous Tier 5 and Tier 4 feats for a character notably weaker than Dracula.

But what about the Tier 2 feats, I hear you ask? Well, let's get to those:

Tier 2 Feats
Now, unsurprisingly, Castlevania doesn't have nearly as many Tier 2 feats as it has Tier 5 or 4 feats. But it has a few, and they're worthy nothing.

A lot of them happen in the fighting game, Castlevania: Judgement, where the Time Reaper seeks to destroy the Castlevania Timeline, and so that the Castlevania heroes cannot stop him, he traps them in the Time Rift, which is explicitly a parallel universe.

All the relevant quotes are posted below.

From Aeon's Opening Text:

As a guardian of time, Aeon journeyed through the ages.
One day, suddenly and without warning, a powerful entity appeared from 10,000 years in the future, determined to destroy the very fabric of time.
Aeon enlisted the power of thirteen mighty souls, setting each on a path that would lead to this great enemy.
With only a single chance at victory, Aeon must determine the most worthy champion for the battle ahead...

From Death's Story Mode:

Aeon: Right on time. Welcome to the time rift.
Death: Wanderer of time -- is this age on the verge of collapse?
Aeon: Ah, you see much. We need the soul keys, gained by passing a series of

trials.

Death: If it serves the Master's purpose, I will do whatever is required.
Aeon: My name is Aeon. Shall we begin the first trial?

From Dracula's Story Mode:

Dracula: What is your business with me, time traveler?
Aeon: There is one who would destroy this era to ensure your downfall.
Dracula: Ridiculous. And you would stop them with this contemptible farce?

From Shanoa's Story Mode:

Shanoa: What is this place? I have a task I must complete.
Aeon: This is an alternate universe. You must pass a series of trials in order to gain passage out.
Shanoa: Is that so... Then it appears I have no choice.

And finally, from Sypha's Story Mode:

Aeon: Right on time. You must be the chosen one.
Sypha: A touch of what I desired... Just as you promised…
Aeon: Excellent. However, to leave this place, you must pass one last trial.
Sypha: And what is that?
Aeon: The enemy that trapped us here. He would destroy this era of time. He must be stopped.
Sypha: In that case, I will defeat him.

So this already makes two Low 2-C feats, but there are a couple more. Namely, from Aria Of Sorrow & Dawn of Sorrow:

In the former, we have the introduction of an entity called "Chaos", which I explained in depth in my [old, though outdated blog. To cut a long story short, Chaos is the root and embodiment of all Chaos in the universe, and the entity opposite to God. It is the source of Dracula's power, and all demons are derived from it.

At the end of the game Soma Cruz seeks to end the cycle of Dracula's resurrection by destroying Chaos itself, and so he travels to Chaos' personal dimension, the Chaotic Realm. The Chaotic Realm contains stars and galaxies, constantly spinning, likely as a result of Chaos' own will.

Castlevania Aria Of Sorrow Episode 31 Entering chaos-1
Castlevania Aria Of Sorrow Episode 31 Entering chaos-1

(At 0:30)

Upon killing Chaos, the Chaotic Realm collapses, and Soma Cruz is left floating in a white void, indicating that the dimension was destroyed.

Castlevania Aria Of Sorrow - Final Boss & Best Ending GBA
Castlevania Aria Of Sorrow - Final Boss & Best Ending GBA

(At 4:30)

Finally, we have Dawn of Sorrow, where the villain Dmitrii Blinov seeks to obtain Soma Cruz power so that he may become the new Dark Lord / Demon King, and rule the Abyss (Basically Hell). Before his death, Dracula used to be the Dark Lord, and the ruler of all demons. This is why you have so many mythological monsters, along the embodiment of Death itself, among his followers.

But things go wrong, and Dmitrii transforms into a unstable monstrosity called Menace, and upon its defeat, it released all of its absorbed power, making the Abyss collapse in the process:

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - Menace and Best Ending
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - Menace and Best Ending

(At 6:00)

So, how big is the Abyss? Well, it is divided into at least six hells, one of which contains numerous stars and galaxies. So the collapse of the Abyss can be viewed as the collapse of a universe.

Conclusion, Tl;Dr
There are many Tier 5 and Tier 4 feats in Castlevania, such as:

• Dracula's Castle making a Solar Eclipse.
  • The Hakuba Priest making a Solar Eclipse to seal Dracula's castle in it.
  • Dracula's fractured disembodied spirit creating a dimension with a moon.
  • Dracula creating dimensions with moons, solar eclipses, stars and black holes to serve as battlefields.
  • Brauner creating dimensions with moons, suns, and starry skies solely so he can absorb the greater power of Dracula's Castle.
And also some Tier 2 feats, namely:

• The Time Reaper destroying the Castlevania Timeline.
  • The Time Reaper creating the Time Rift, a parallel universe, to trap the Castlevania heroes.
  • Chaos' very existence, it being the embodiment and origin of all Chaos in the universe, and the being opposite to God Himself.
  • Chaos sustaining his personal dimension, the Chaotic Realm, which contains numerous spinning stars and galaxies, and it collapsing upon his death.
  • Menace bringing the collapse of the Abyss, a dimension which contains numrous stars and galaxies.
Because of this, I think that the Castlevania characters' tier should reflect both feat lists. So something like this:

"At least Multi-Solar System level, possibly Universe level+"

Though of course, suggestions and comments are accepted and encouraged.

You were the one who made them 2C boi.

But regardless, this makes sense, but I do think there are enough Low 2C feasts to justify full on Low 2C

Gargoyle One said:
You were the one who made them 2C boi.
But regardless, this makes sense, but I do think there are enough Low 2C feasts to justify full on Low 2C
Yeah 2-C is wank tho lmao. I realized it later.

Low 2-C is definitely possible / arguable, yes.

The problem comes with ranking everyone as Low 2-C. Obviously top tiers like Soma Cruz, Chaos and Julius Belmont should be straight up Low 2-C.

People like Brauner and his daughters should just be 4-A.

Tezzeret?

The changes make sense to me.

Shouldn't Alucard scale to being Low 2-C since he's defeated the Belmont's and Dracula numerous times?

TFW Matt doesn't tell you he is revising one of your favorite verse in pm. ╠Âf╠Âe╠Âe╠Âl╠Âs╠Âb╠Âa╠Âd╠Âm╠Âa╠Ân╠Â
Raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa ca443f4786
But I agree, this is probably as accurate as we can get.

╠Ân╠Âo╠Âw╠ ╠Âr╠Âe╠Âv╠Âi╠Âs╠Âe╠ ╠ÂR╠Âe╠Ân╠ ╠Ât╠Âo╠ ╠Â4╠Â-╠ÂA╠ ╠Âs╠Âo╠ ╠ÂI╠ ╠Âc╠Âa╠Ân╠ ╠Âm╠Âa╠Âk╠Âe╠ ╠Âa╠ ╠Âd╠Âe╠Âc╠Âe╠Ân╠Ât╠ ╠Âm╠Âa╠Ât╠Âc╠Âh╠Â

Well, honestly, I think we have enough Tier 2 feats for them, Top Tiers like Dracula, Alucard, Belmonts (not counting Leon) and Soma can have a solid Low 2-C tiers, for the rest of the cast, yeah, "4-A, possibly Low 2-C" looks fine

How about Shanoa's Dominus, for example ? I never played Order of Ecclesia, but she can only hurt Dracula with this power, right ? Maybe "4-A, Low 2-C with Dominus", I dunno, don't know much about that game

Edit: And about speed ? Still the same ?

I always find it odd the different sections of the Abyss were treated like different universes since I never gotten that vibe despite beating Dawn of Sorrow more times than I can remember. I agree with this.

I still find it so weird that a semi-normal human with a whip is Low 2-C, as is a random pirate who's quick on his feet.

I love this website.

Back