• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

Chaos Fix
Introduction
We currently treat Chaos (final boss of Aria of Sorrow) as the total entity of Chaos, and this creates a somewhat strange scale.

Julius > Soma > God = Chaos

Yes, it doesn't make sense. But after seeing some new information about the game's Japanese dialogue, I discovered that this Chaos (boss of Aria of Sorrow) is not exactly the entirety of this entity.

Arguments
First Evidence
Starting with that, why do we consider that Chaos (head of AoS) as the understanding of chaos?

It's simple, it's because of its name and its description in the game.
The root of all chaotic things.

~ Aria of Sorrow Bestiary

The problem is that this doesn't exist in the Japanese original.

Here is the description in Japanese.

As you can see, the description of this boss is just his name. This already makes us aware of the nature of this boss.

Second Evidence
In Aria of Sorrow when we defeat Grahan, Alucard appears and we have a dialogue with him.

He is the one who gives us the idea of facing Chaos, and in the Japanese dialogue, Alucard explains more about this "chaos".

Here is the video of the dialogue in Japanese.
有角 幻也
ドラキュラの魔力と、お前の魂は、もともと一つのものだ。
どんな手を講じようとも、こうなる運命だった。
それならば、俺の力が届くところで、目覚めさせるしかないと考えた。

ソウマ
何を言ってるんだ?
意味がわからない。

有角 幻也
魔力と一つになったお前には、巨大な邪悪な意思が流れ込んでいるはずだ。

ソウマ
あぁ…。
さっきから、少しずつ大きくなってる…。
飲み込まれないように耐えるのがやっとだ…。

有角 幻也
お前が、それをすべて受け入れたとき、魔力はお前のものになる。
しかし、以前と同じように、魔王の宿命も負うことになる。
俺は、そうさせたくない!

ソウマ
俺だってなりたくなんか無い。

有角 幻也
分かっている。
だからこそ、危険を承知でこの方法を選んだ。

ソウマ
それは、どんな方法なんだ?

有角 幻也
ドラキュラの邪悪な意思は、破壊と混沌を求める人間達によって作られたものだ。
ならば、その意思に影響を与えている混沌を切り離せば良い。

ソウマ
そんなこと出来るのか?

有角 幻也
ドラキュラの魔力から生まれているこの城は、精神世界そのものだ。
つまり、混沌もこの城のどこかに存在する。
ドラキュラに目覚めたお前だけが行ける場所…。
そこに混沌はある!

And below is the translation I have (only the part that interests us).
Genya
Dracula's magic and your soul are originally one.
No matter what steps I take, it was destined to happen.
So I thought I had to wake you up where my power could reach

Soma

What are you saying?
I don't understand.

Genya
A giant evil will flow into you when you become one with the magic

Soma
Aaaah....
It's been getting bigger little by little
I can barely stand it without being consumed.

Genya
When you accept it all, the magic will be yours
However, just as before, you will also bear the fate of the Demon King.
I don't want to let that happen !

Soma
I don't want either.

Genya
I know that.
That's why I chose this method, knowing it was dangerous.

Soma
What is that method?

Genya
The evil will of Dracula was created by humans who seek destruction and chaos.
Therefore, if we cut off the chaos that is affecting that will, it'll be fine.

Soma
Can you do that ?

Genya
This castle, which is born from Dracula's Magic, is the Spiritual World itself.
In other words, the chaos also exists somewhere in this castle*
You are the only one who can go to the place where Dracula has awakened
That's where chaos is !

As you can see from the bold, Alucard is not talking about the concept of chaos itself.

He is talking about the human-created evil will that exists in Dracula. A will that was created while Mathias was already Dracula.

It's more Dracula's personal Chaos, the other side of Draucla's existence, and not the whole thing that exists through Castlevania's cosmology.

This is why Dracula is evil throughout the series and never really seems to change sides. Even after SOTN and his dialogue with Alucard. Because he is already totally influenced by this desire, something he didn't seem to be before (when he lived with his wife)

Especially because "chaos" has always been treated as a type of energy of nature, like magic, and not something more solid like God. At least from my point of view.

Third evidence
This part I will just show additional evidence that supports my arguments.

It's not something primary.
-
Do you know when I said that this evil spirit was a part of Dracula?

So, we have this dialogue in Japanese from the beginning of Aria of Sorrow.

He seems to me to be making an implication that chaos (an evil spirit that is still in the castle) is looking for his other half again. Your other self.
-
And speaking of the other half.

We literally have an achievement on Steam from the Castlevania game collection that explains my argument a lot.
Captura-de-tela-2023-06-20-132257.png

As you can see, overcoming this chaos is a victory over yourself.

Yes, it is a Steam achievement. That's why this evidence is literally the last of the crt and only serves as support for the rest.

Conclusion
As explained in the novel Akumajō Dorakyura: Kabuchi no Tsuisōkyoku, chaos arises from the hearts of humans. And as Death said, "We were born from the chaos of humans."

All chaos creatures obviously have chaos.

But chaos is like magic, an energy that exists. Since chaos arises from the hearts of humans, it would not have a "root" or "source" of a single greater Entity, such as God.

In the case of Dracula, in my interpretation, humans, due to the desire for destruction and chaos that they always seek (something referenced in Castlevania Judgment when playing with Dracula) ended up creating this evil will of Dracula made of chaos, which became part of the same , the other side of your being.

For this reason, throughout the series, Dracula remains evil, despite his dialogue with Alucard in Castlevania SOTN.

There are some things that depend on interpretation, but many things are very explicit. Like this being (the boss chaos) being the other half of Dracula, and being an evil will created by humans, while Mathias was already Dracula.

And also I think this is more consistent than Julius and Soma being above God.

What does this change?
At first? Just the scale of the characters.

Something like:
God > Julius > Soma > Chaos (Evil Will)

Of course, Chaos' profile will be changed to say that he is not the entity that is the entirety of this concept of chaos that exists throughout Castlevania's cosmology.

For the rest? It will be discussed as posts arrive.

Votes
agree: (3;2) @Theglassman12 (agrees and suggests creating a separate key), @DarkDragonMedeus (Same as Glass), @LephyrTheRevanchist (Same as Glass), @Lightning_XXI, @Stillwinston

neutral:

disagree:

Last edited:
Already saw this before, I’m fine with a separate key for Chaos, one with Dracula’s will and the other being the overarching concept in the series. Though this does bring some potential buffs as Dracula’s literal will is a chaotic universe, it could be a ground for Dracula having some Higher dimensional existence.

Already saw this before, I’m fine with a separate key for Chaos, one with Dracula’s will and the other being the overarching concept in the series. Though this does bring some potential buffs as Dracula’s literal will is a chaotic universe, it could be a ground for Dracula having some Higher dimensional existence.
Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back