• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Boros' Attack Potency

Status
Not open for further replies.
SeththeProgrammer, eh? not sure if I want to see that video; but if there's a official guide about that maybe you should link it. However, I think it will be considered a hyperbole/outlier.

Someone who can take over the universe and has claimed to and has not met any opposition being able to destroy a star doesn't seem very outliery. Also it seems he could casually destroy planets and only had to really go all out on Saitama from what's stated.

If we're going by context, it has no reason to be an Hyperbole since it's a serious guide, and if Boros final attack do indeed temporally breaks his limiter, there is also nothing stopping it to be a real feat, since we don't have an accurate value on how powerful a being can be without the limiter. I propose that Boros, consequently Garou to be upgraded to Star Level and Saitama to At least Star level, possibly far higher.

From what it seems his base stats with the armor is separate from his Meteoric Burst and that final attack of his if he's casually destroying planets.

Welp, can't determinate if is hyperbole/outlier by my own, and I don't read OPM since 2 years ago, so I'll give the topic to the other members. Anyway, I think there's another thread that is talking about this, shouldn't I close this one?

I'm fine with whatever the rest of staff decide. But I'm a bit uncertain about this statement, as it's kinda directly contradicted by main canon, secondary canon and another guidebook.

On one hand, said guidebook is untranslated yet iirc? And star could've been mistranslated into planet.

https://youtu.be/aF1I2NKAlCs?t=159

Also he did remark that it was what he would do to Earth and not his max capabilities in general. Can always go the 'possibly' route but that would look messy.

For the other two.... well ONE did help collaborate with this iirc.

I'm... conflicted on this.

On one hand, this guidebook looks definitely professionally translated. Unless someone spent hours making sure all the text warps appropriately to the page and has the right lighting and all that. This does lead credence to the idea that "world/star" wasn't mistranslated, and that this is a legitimate statement.

On the other hand, like Ryu said, this does go against a lot of what has been shown and stated. Noting a few interesting things below.

• Seth does seem right in that the guidebook seems to imply armored Boros can destroy planets, as they seem to divide up his abilities by which form he's in
  • Boros is stated to surpass his limits with Meteoric Burst and was even capable of somewhat "clobbering Saitama". This seems like it suggests Boros temporarily surpasses his limiter with this move and would potentially give us a vauge upper estimate of Saitama's strength since Boros could mildly hurt him in this form
  • And then of course there's the statement Boros can obliterate stars with his final attack, no real extra thoughts there

I can agree there is some probability it could not have been a mistranslation, and that the guidebook makes some other interesting statements about Boros.

However what I'm slightly conflicted on, is this guidebook calls the final attack a star buster.

• The main canon manga calls the final attack a surface buster
  • The secondary canon anime calls the final attack a planet buster
  • The other manga guidebook also calls the final attack a planet buster
These are kinda direct contradictions to this guidebook's statement. So I'm not sure whether we'd discard it in this case or not. Like I said I'm okay with what the rest of staff says though.

Personally, I think that star level Boros &Saitama is plausible. Saitama's full power hasn't been stated, so star level is no real problem for him. The only problem might be for Boros, but I guess it is somewhat applicable because Boros is one of the only characters to make Saitama go serious meaning this could be possible.

On that part Ryu, the manga guidebook, well... have we seen an actual fully translated version of that? I don't think I've seen any Japanese readers clarify and would love to see them do so. On the other hand I think the manga goes in tandem with the guidebook, though I see your troubles there.

Also in said anime they called the attack Collapsing Star so.... I think even it was kinda supporting Star level attack.

It's more likely that Boros is a star level guy considering a dominator of the universe who casually destroys planets and can destroy a star at his strongest would be much more believable than just someone who took over the universe and can only dish out island level stuff till he uses his trump card planetary move.

Also as a hole on the argument of mistranslation, if it really was just planetary then why did they focus on emphasis on the final roar cannon?

Example, Boros is stated to casually destroy planes a few pages earlier right? On Sealed form too it looks like it.

And then it goes to move on saying that "he becomes formidable enough to destroy a star". If that was planet why is it emphasized to be stronger than the casual planet busting feat earlier?

Names of attacks shouldn't be taken too literally. From what I've heard, it was a mistranslation from the dubbing company, but I guess that could be an unproved rumor because the OPM wiki has nothing against it. Also, dominator of the universe shouldn't automatically mean star level. Trigon was a universal threat pretty much meaning the same thing in the Teen Titans cartoon. If we applied that logic, I'm assuming White Raven is star level also. Regardless, I still support star level Boros. I'm not trying to bash on you or anything, but there are flaws in what you kind of pointed out.

On that part Ryu, the manga guidebook, well... have we seen an actual fully translated version of that? I don't think I've seen any Japanese readers clarify and would love to see them do so. On the other hand I think the manga goes in tandem with the guidebook, though I see your troubles there.
The guidebook has been reliably translated and numerous translators have agreed that it's stating Boros would destroy the earth.

Also in said anime they called the attack Collapsing Star so.... I think even it was kinda supporting Star level attack.
Yeah as much as Dragon Ball is supporting Universe level Android Saga Vegeta with "Big Bang Attack." It doesn't matter what the name of the attack was. Boros explicitly referred to his attack a planet buster in power. That cannot be denied.

It's more likely that Boros is a star level guy considering a dominator of the universe who casually destroys planets and can destroy a star at his strongest would be much more believable than just someone who took over the universe and can only dish out island level stuff till he uses his trump card planetary move.
Dominating various civilizations across the universe is not remotely the same as destroying it or its civilizations. The amount of power he needs to be doing the former only relies on how powerful the civilizations in question and their armies/weaponry are.

What I mean is that it's likelier for someone who has claimed to dominate the universe to be on the higher scale of the spectrum instead of not even being planetary. I'm not claiming Universal Boros or anything close to it but I think people would agree that someone who can take over the universe is well... at least on a minimum a planetary threat.

Of course we have people who are threats to the universe that are probably not even planetary but considering the context of things Boros seems likely to be... well.... higher.

Edit - Just explaining myself and clarifying, not trying to start an argument. And no worries, I didn't take that as bashing.

It is likely a mistranlation.

The japanese word "Hoshi" can be translated as both Star and Planet, which is why Boros' attack is sometimes rendered as either "Planet Busting Roar Cannon" / "Collapsing Star Roar Cannon".

So while this is an official translation, it is innacurate. The best objective feat in all of One Punch Man is High 6-A. Even assuming 5-B is a stretch, but it is much more logical given the context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG8p5XcWpY

^ Look at this scene. You can visibly see Boros use the word "Hoshi" when he's talking about destroying the planet. Given the context, it makes total sense to translate Hoshi as "planet".

So no, Boros can't Star Bust. The Hoshi in his attack's name and his dialogue refer's to Planet.

I can't really argue with that anime feat

However, that would mean putting emphasis on planetary.

It's basically like

"Oh he can destroy planets."

which then escalates into

"Holy shit!! That guy's strong enough to destroy a planet now!"

If we agree that they mistranslated everything as planetary. Kinda self-contradictory too.

Also, Planet level Armored Boros? Really? Sealed Armored Boros was stomped by a super casual Saitama punch, which as calced is Island level or so. And Unsealed Boros died to an attack that was calced at High 6-A. So even Planet level is a stretch, since he never destroyed a planet and died to a much weaker attack, yet I accept given the anime dialogue and the subsequent japanese guidebook statement.

Also, yeah this is a guidebook, neat, but guidebooks should be regarded as secondary information that can be discarded if contradictory. The Naruto Guidebooks are a prime example, given how they wank characters to FTL, Planet level and Universe level.

They calced the attack Saitama specifically used on Saitama as Island level? Saitama doesn't really toss the exact same strength everywhere.

Said guidebooks were however adjusted by ONE himself, kinda different from the guidebooks. I recall that being the primary reason why we used them in the first place.

> a super casual Saitama punch, which as calced is Island level or so

To be fair, I don't think the casual punch he tanked was the Island level one. It's not like every casual punch has to be the same tier.

Actually, I just checked. Boros isn't even scaled from Saitama, and Saitama's punches aren't the Island level calc. Both of those are Tatsumaki.

@Core

Saitama's casual punch against the bullets is like, High 7-A. That is his super held back strength. And it makes sense given how he always one-shots City level threats.

Sealed Boros was defeated by one casual Saitama punch. The burden of proof is on you to prove that that punch contains millions of times more powerful than his other casual punches.

Saitama's Serious Punch was calced at High 6-A. He negated Boros attack and the remaining energy both killed him and split the clouds. That energy was calced at High 6-A. But I accept Boros as 5-B given the japanese guidebook and the anime dialogue.

@Xcano

Yeah, Boros is scaled of of casual Saitama.

Durability: Unknow. Likely at least Small Island level+, possibly higher (Survived a casual punch from Saitama before their actual fight began [same Saitama sent one of the Dark Matter Thieves' artillery shellsback at their ship)

Saitama's best casual feat is High 7-A. Since Boros survived casual Saitama, he is High 7-A. This is kinda basic.

Yeah but the casual punches always differ. We can't say people like Tanktops and Sonic are island level because they can survive hits from casual Saitama much less the Serious Side Hops. Basically, it's not as if we can really make a true defined limit for Casual Saitama but yeah.

Huh? Wait I'm not really supportive of the planetary sealed armor, I mean that's kinda silly. I just used it as a comparison or as a theory. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

We also have the system of Attack Potency where something that looks weaker can take out something that visually looks stronger. Like characters who's on the planetary tier but aren't wiping out planets with every attack they make. Maybe I'll ask Murata next time he streams.

"Yeah but the casual punches always differ. We can't say people like Tanktops and Sonic are island level because they can survive hits from casual Saitama much less the Serious Side Hops."

Yes, that just shows that he can hold back. You are assuming that his punch against Boros is SO much more powerful it is Planet level, which is ridiculous since a vastly stronger Boros died to a Multi-Continental attack.

Oh, you are not arguing for it? Good, because its severe wank.

And the argument isn't about weather or not Boros looks stronger. Here is the argument:

• In the primary canon (Manga), Boros' line is about a High 6-A feat (Which is consistent since he's killed by a High 6-A attack)
  • In the anime, his line is about Planet Busting.
  • In the Encyclopedia, based on translations from the japanese Raw, Boros is planet busting
The anime first aired in October 5, 2015. While the Encyclopedia was first released in October 3, 2015. Meaning that both were being worked around the same time, and the Encyclopedia was released to generate hype for the anime.

http://onepunchman.wikia.com/wiki/One-Punch_Man:_Hero_Perfectio http://onepunchman.wikia.com/wiki/One-Punch_Man_(anime)

So Boros' quote in the japanese encyclopedia, stating that he can Planet Bust, makes total sense as it is in line with what is said in the anime.

Now comes this US Encyclopedia from 2 years later, with statements that aren't in the jp one and which contradict the anime and manga, and you people want to use it instead simply because it wields higher Tiers?

Also, I figured out what this Encyclopedia he is using is.

This is the Secret One Punch Man Files COMPUS, which comes with the One Punch Man Limited Editio Blu-Ray by Viz Media. It was developed exclusively to accompany the dubbed version of the anime. Meaning that this guidebook is something that the US publishers made up.

This is the equivalent of someone circa 2013 using the the Funimation Dub of Dragon Ball: Battle of Gods to argue that Beerus is Multi-Galaxy level.

@Matt

I was looking at AP, which is:

Attack Potency: Unknown. Likely at least Small Island level+, possibly higher (Comparable to casual Saitama before their actual fight began. Far stronger than Geryuganshoop, who was stated to be the strongest Esper in the universe, though this may not be accurate.)

With Geryu scaling from Tatsumaki.

Also, while I doubt his punch was planetary in that case, I still think the reasoning of "It was a casual punch so it was this level" is wrong. "Casual" can mean anything from some infinitesimal amount to 50% depending on how you define it. Me swatting a fly isn't an equal amount of AP as beating up a 5 year old.

@Xcano

I agree, which is why this guy isn't Small Island level.

But unless we have conclusively proof that Armored Boros, a form that appears for a couple of minutes and who's only feat is surviving a Casual Saitama punch, we'll go by the best feats Casual Saitama has shown.

@Matt

Since he has no AP feats, "destroys planets" would be his only feat since a "casual punch" is some unquantifiable amount. But this is irrelevant becauuuuse...

Guidebook says he can destroy planets with his "latent" energy. "Latent" meaning hidden or restricted. This would mean that only second form/unarmored Boros would be planet level, not base.

Ryukama said:
  • The main canon manga calls the final attack a surface buster
  • The secondary canon anime calls the final attack a planet buster
  • The other manga guidebook also calls the final attack a planet buster
These are kinda direct contradictions to this guidebook's statement. So I'm not sure whether we'd discard it in this case or not. Like I said I'm okay with what the rest of staff says though.
ryu... the other guidebook NEVER said that boros's collapsing star roaring cannon is limited to destroy a planet. all it said was that it COULD destroy a planet. and its true that a star busting attack can also destroy a planet (obviously) an attack can be both a planet buster and star buster at the same time ya know?

As I told LordXcano privately I disagree heavily with base boros being planetary level.

Literally if you read the statement where it came from it clearly states.

"Boros himself boasts abnormally superior physical attributes even for his species, along with LATENT ENERGY that can destroy planets"

Latent energy being his unrestricted forms, so yah base boros being planet level is a big no. And it doesn't contradict the fact the statement is on his base form description cause, once again they are referring to his final forms than his first form.

It's ridiculous and hilarious to imagine. If Base Boros was Planetary, then island cannons are planetary, then that means Sneck is planetary, then that means everyone is planetary

Well that's just a joke. Don't take that statement seriously.

Jonathanlighter said:
ryu... the other guidebook NEVER said that boros's collapsing star roaring cannon is limited to destroy a planet. all it said was that it COULD destroy a planet. and its true that a star busting attack can also destroy a planet (obviously) an attack can be both a planet buster and star buster at the same time ya know?
The other guidebook says that the attack is going to destroy earth and it's an attack to destroy the planet. If the other guidebook thinks Boros's attack has Star level power, then why not just say that instead of only saying it'd destroy earth and merely calling it a Planet level attack? Even then, main and secondary canon still undountably contradict this statement.

@grudge

i made that point str8 up combust into flames u liar.. you false speaking heathen /s

CoreOfimBalance(COB) said:
It's ridiculous and hilarious to imagine. If Base Boros was Planetary, then island cannons are planetary, then that means Sneck is planetary, then that means everyone is planetary

Well that's just a joke. Don't take that statement seriously.
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? why the hell would base boros being planetary make the island cannons planetary?? and how does sneck scale to that??? sneck has NOTHING to do with ANY of this. base boros being planet ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT make everyone else planetary? explain yourself. im not trying to be rude but what you just said is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS and makes zero sense.

@Jonathan

µÿƒ < This shit can mean both planet and star. Boros was talking about blowing up the planet in the anime. JP Encyclopedia says that he is a Planet Buster. Now this shit says he is Star level and you buy it. There's no proof.

Also, the thing isn't even dividing Boros' power in forms.

Boros2
^ The character profiles included in the US Secret Files book are all pulled straight from the japanese Blu-Ray extras. The only new thing that comes in this "Secret File COMPUS" is the interviews.

In the left it talks about Boros generically, explaining his character. In the top right it explains the two forms. In the bottom right it details his fight with Saitama ("Fist Punch", "Second Punch", "Third Punch & Consecutive Normal Punches", "Serious Punch!"). The description of the attack, Planet-Busting Roar Cannon comes ONLY in the later. Meaning that Boros is only 5-B at his absolute peak, using that attack.

And it is very likely that the translators failed and translated µÿƒ as "Star" (Which is a fair translation), but depending on the context can mean Planet. Given Boros' context, it definitely means Planet.

And that's okay, the translator doesn't have to know everything about One Punch Man, nor care about Vs.Debating. He likely was just hired to translate the artbook and he did his job.

Matthew Schroeder said:
@Xcano
I agree, which is why this guy isn't Small Island level.

But unless we have conclusively proof that Armored Boros, a form that appears for a couple of minutes and who's only feat is surviving a Casual Saitama punch, we'll go by the best feats Casual Saitama has shown.
okay okay.. lets go back a little. first of all, you said that "hoshi" can mean either "planet" OR "star" in japanese. so why would you automatically assume that boros meant "planet" when he said "hoshi"? YOU said it yourself that "hoshi" can mean either planet or star, so there's no way to tell exactly what boros said. dont jump to conclusions like that. what proof do you have that boros meant "planet" instead of star?

secondly, armored boros was never really defeated by saitamas casual punch. he was just a little surprised and sent crashing into a pillar. he wasnt even unconcsious for a second. the only thing the punch did to boros was break his armor, which isnt even supposed to be that tough in the first place, its supposed to surpress his power. so yeah, boros was definitely NOT defeated by that punch.

also, i would appreciate it if you stop mentioning naruto databooks. naruto has absolutely nothing to do with this. just cuz naruto has shitty databooks doesnt mean ALL databooks are shitty. thanks

lastly, even if boros was defeated by a high 6-A attack, that doesnt really mean boros's collapsing star roaring cannon cant destroy a planet/star, cuz durability doesnt always scale to AP. maybe he just has an insanely powerful finishing move, but his durability isnt as high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back