• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Battle for the strongest 8-C

Planck69 said:
That sounds ridiculous honestly. Several verses on the wiki would get resistance to soul-hax if just not mentioning souls is enough. Hell, I don't even know why we assume this for the real world and not for verses established in a representation of it, not as though they arbitrarily gain souls considering what they're based on.
I mean tbh, I'm in the camp of people who belive that if souls are never mentioned in-verse, then we shouldn't assume they exist.

This opinion of mine tripples when talking about non-magical verses, which I believe prototype falls under.

Virus's aren't even considered living things biologically. So there's that as well.

YungManzi said:
I mean tbh, I'm in the camp of people who belive that if souls are never mentioned in-verse, then we shouldn't assume they exist.

This opinion of mine tripples when talking about non-magical verses, which I believe prototype falls under.

Virus's aren't even considered living things biologically. So there's that as well.
Yeah, this would make sense if not by the fact that an entire verse would have immunity to soul hax just because souls aren't mentioned.

And what's the problem with that?

We don't assume all vampires have all standard vampire weaknesses without them ever being mentioned.

TheCrimsonEbonyCrawlingChaos said:
It's debatable if Viruses are "living".
They are once they infect someone so yes.

Also souls never being mentioned doesn't make the verse souless. Medaka tried, didn't end well.

This would be like giving a verse immunity to concept-hax solely because they never mention Platonic Forms.

Making humans rely on their souls without evidence that their soul even exists, is literally an arbitrary weakness given out for the sake of making soul manipulation stronger.

Why in the world would we assume souls exist in a pure sci-fi setting?

The problem with making that assumption would be that they're suddenly immune to a hax despite never showing such. We'd basically be giving them capabilities at that point.

It's one thing for a character to tap into a weakness inherent to the hax or have some kind ability that renders a hax useless like Ascausality and Fate/Probability manipulation. But to say that a verse is immune to a hax because they don't deal with the certain conditions would be a step too far.

Firephoenixearl said:
It's not an "arbitrary weakness". It's what's called "a default assumption".
I've been here a while Earl. You don't have to tell me how we treat things.

I'm just displaying my disapproval with such a ruling.

And yes, it's absolutely arbitrary.

psychic powers originate form the soul in warhammer my guy and the point you are ignoring in it discription is that the psyk-granade is formed from the psychic resedue form the golden thrown and it directly messes with a persons connection to the warp and in people who have greater connection to it such as psychers it cause flat out erasuer of their being as all of their supernatural powers drawn form their powerful souls turns inwards and rips them apart.

also the incap require that the opponent is out for more then 24 hours not just an hour

The grenade works on both psychics and non-psychic. It's simply worse and has more effects on actual psykers.

Also, straight from SBA:

Victory Conditions: Death of the opponent, removing the opponent from the battlefield for at least one week (BFR), knocking the opponent out for at least one hour, or incapacitating the opponent by putting him in a state in which he can not harm the other fighter(s) for over a day, are to be assumed as victory conditions.

What you're talking about is prevent the person from harming/fighting their opponent. If you can actually knock them out, it's only an hour.

I've been here a while Earl. You don't have to tell me how we treat things.

I'm just displaying my disapproval with such a ruling.

And yes, it's absolutely arbitrary.

It's more a anti NLF, since saying someone is completely immune to something because no one has used a stronger version in their verse is NLF.

C2 of Omegon
regular people are still connected to the warp my guy psyker or not and psykers are just people with more powerful souls

as for the incap my mistake forgot about the knock out portion

@XDragnoir

It's not a NLF. In order for it to be NLF there would need to be a commonality in play. Based on logical thought experiments.

For example: "Minds are never mentioned, so minds don't exist, threrefore this character cannot be mind controlled."

^This is more akin to NLF (Although I'm sure there's different name for it, NLF is just more popular)

This doesn't work with souls because unlike minds, which at the very least are based in reality (As a mind is merely one's consciousness and/or thought process), souls don't have that.

It's not based in reality. Nor is it a thought experiment like fate. Or mathmatically proven like probability.

In other words, there's no reason to assume souls exist unlike other weaknesses innate to humans , like the mind.

Well, do a thread about that if you want, i would really like if we suddenly had dozens of verse which can fight Bleach even with RC.

Can't wait to give several verses that sweet immunity.

Bleach, your reign of terror ends now!

I'll do just that sometime in the next year.

I've seen other people share similar thoughts. Hopefully they drop by and support the cause when the thread is eventually made.

Tbf i can see Yung's point. Some verses just...don't imply souls at all. Though at the same time, we can either go for 1 or the other, so we have to default to something.

YungManzi said:
@XDragnoir
It's not a NLF. In order for it to be NLF there would need to be a commonality in play. Based on logical thought experiments.

For example: "Minds are never mentioned, so minds don't exist, threrefore this character cannot be mind controlled."
No Limits Fallacies are about the limits of abilities. For instance, Saitama hasn't been shown to struggle with any of his opponents, but that doesn't make him unbeatable, it just means we assume his limit to be around the strongest opponent he's beaten. That's more of an argument from ignorance.

I was thinking in something like:

Verse A has level 0 soul hax (no soul hax or souls at all)

Character A is from verse A, and then he resists level 20 soul hax from verse B

It seems a NLF to me.

If their are no souls in verse A then soul hax is automatically resisted. How is that a NLF? Do you know what that means? Soul hax won't work on something that doesn't have a soul to effect.

I'm not sure how a person with soul hax can manipulate someone's soul... if they don't have a soul.

Though I imagine that saying "souls aren't based in reality" could be pretty controversial, considering our policies on religion and how souls are a pretty key part of the main religions.

I didn't mean soulless, i meant no souls mentioned in the verse, and not verses with explicit quotes of "souls doesn't exists"

So what if it's controversial? doesn't change the accuracy of it, we have plenty of questionable profiles here anyway, we can afford to be a little controversial in order to have a lot of sense. So What is the Assasin's win-con since Alex is immune to his main tools?

Because those people who do believe in souls existing would say it's accurate as it is. People being offended isn't the problem, it's that with the current reasoning this could very easily turn into a debate about whether souls exist or not, which I'm sure no one really wants.

Outside of the soul hax and power null, Culexus has passive mind fuckery, an immense amount of skill and he can phase in and out of reality.

I mean. Religious people know that souls are based on faith and dedication, not science or thought experiment.

Well, maybe it's different in places which are really conservative in their beliefs (Like, far more than I'm used to over here). But I don't think those kind of people would be arguing on a verses thread forum.

It's crazy how no thread can exist without a complaint regarding soul crush lol, even if the thread in question has completely nothing to do with Bleach. You'd think people would get over it, you don't see people crying about passive mindhax or passive death manipulation.

Who brought up Bleach? Or any problem regarding it being passive? My post was mostly a joke.

To be fair, I have yet to hear of another verse which gives 80% of it's characters obscure passive hax on a massive scale.

Edit:

As-in most other passive hax which is given to a whole verse is pretty common to have resistance to, like mind hax.

Planck69 said:
Who brought up Bleach? Or any problem regarding it being passive? My post was mostly a joke.
Oh really? That's awkward. I knew what you said was a joke but I saw you mention soul crush in the Recent Wiki Activity and figured somebody was complaining about it as is usually the case. I guess I was a bit too quick to post. Apologies.

And i said i would like verses which can have good fights with Bleach without it ending with "Reiatsu Crush GG"

GyroNutz said:
Outside of the soul hax and power null, Culexus has passive mind fuckery, an immense amount of skill and he can phase in and out of reality.
I don't know if mind hax would work on Alex, it is still based in the Assasin being a blank, which doesn't mean much for a completely soulless being. I am pretty sure that he resists mind hax already and isn't vulnerable to blanks like Ahriman (since he was brought up before.) Phasing won't help too much since he will need to enter reality to cause harm to Alex and skill won't get around Alex's hax.

Ahriman can resist mind-hax from other psykers with planetary mind-hax and he got mind-****** pretty hard by a blank.

Planck69 said:
Ahriman can resist mind-hax from other psykers with planetary mind-hax and he got mind-****** pretty hard by a blank.
So? Psykers have a specific weakness to blanks. I don't see how this applies to someone immune to the side effects of Blanks.

Back