• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemmysaur

VS Battles
Retired
Infinity war thor
Continuation from this Scarlet Witch Downgrade.

Points to Discuss:

• The power stone's variable AP and why isn't it accepted yet.
  • Why not just scale Iron Man to the 2.126 gigaton meteor?
  • Oh yeah, it was only Large Mountain level.
  • Why not scale Iron Man to Thanos' physical stats since his hand crunching at the former's helmet does more damage than the power stone beam.
  • Does that not mean that Thanos is only able to use the power stone as a ranged attack and not some AP boost?
  • Dr. Strange's binding spells and whether or not his physical lifting strength scales to it.
  • Someone should replace Thor's Infinity War tab image. Seriously. To the right is a much clearer version of the current image.

Gamora mentions that the stone varies in power and it visibly does so. Thanos and Ronan's 5A key should be "varies up to 5A". Iron Man and Strange should be High 6B, since they scale to Thanos physically but not to the power stone's max output.

Finally imo Thanos overpowering Strange was lifting strength vs lifting strength not AP.

Something new I want to add regarding Doctor Strange; I don't think he blocked the Power Stones blast exactly (thus making him Large Planet level with barriers).

I think he simply warped it away using the Mirror Dimension (his profile mentions he intended to trap Thanos in the Mirror Dimension, so I think it is the same case with the energy beam. He trapped it in the Mirror Dimension), making it not a Durability feat.

The warp only has two appearances. The hole with the spinning orange and the broken glass wall. He definitely blocked Thanos' power beam with the latter, but then, Thanos punched it with the power stone.

His regular shield blocked Thanos' kicked though so his magic scales to Thanos' physical stats at least.

I still stand my point, if he trapped the energy beam, then the blast would just past through the mirror, not disperse.

About the power stone

"Also the "dependent on size" thing is being misinterpreted. That doesn't say that the beam is weaker if the target is smaller. It just says that it destroys what it hits. If it hits a person it destroys it. If it hits a planet it destroys it also. That's really simple." - Matt

Eficiente said:
About the power stone
"Also the "dependent on size" thing is being misinterpreted. That doesn't say that the beam is weaker if the target is smaller. It just says that it destroys what it hits. If it hits a person it destroys it. If it hits a planet it destroys it also. That's really simple." - Matt
No.

I gave a litiral quote from gamra saying "The bigger the target, the bigger the power surge".

That doesn't have anything to do with destruction.

" The stone reacts to anything organic. The bigger the target, the bigger the power surge. All Ronan's got to do is touch the planet's surface and zap. "

Surge

- A sudden or great increase (Cambridge Encyclopedia)

- A sudden or large increase (Oxford Dictionary)

What do we make of this? It sounds to me like the power stone gives only as much spike in energy to destroy what it's hitting. Not that it is at a constant max energy and is only controlling how much area it spreads that power to.

> His regular shield blocked Thanos' kicked though so his magic scales to Thanos' physical stats at least.

I definitely agree his shields should scale to what they've blocked.

I'm just saying I don't think he blocked the Power Stone blast.

We have a canon explaination of how the Power Stone functions from Gamora directly from the source matieral,I'm more inclined to believe that over fan interpretation.

Yeah I explained why the Power Stone doesn't have variable AP many times already. You also have to consider that Celestials, who are scaled out of a 5-A feat themselves, consider it a powerful and worthwhile weapon. If it could only be Planet level if used on a planet (Which makes no sense), they wouldn't.

Iron Man should be High 6-B scaling from base Thanos.

Thanos used both the Power Stone and the Space Stone against Strange.

You can also read the Guardians of the Galaxy MCU Guidebook, it never talks about the Orb / Power Stone having variable power. In fact, it literally just attributes it destroying planets to it being powerful enough to do so.

The only think the Stone does is that it causes more damage on a larger target, but it doesn't mean it uses less power on a smaller target. That's illogical and counter-intuitive.

So you're saying Thor (pre-Stormbreaker) is Planet level? Because Thanos directed the energy of the Power Stone into his head but clearly did not seriously harm or kill him.

And the ship that Thanos blew up with the Power Stone... that explosion was Planet level too? So every Asgardian is now Planet level?

No. You are making a false equivalency. There are times where Thanos isn't using all of the Stone's power.

Other time he is, like when he blows up Titan's moo. You can clearly see that Thanos did considerably more damage than just raze the surface. And all he needed to do was clench his fist for it.

Meanwhile when he fired at Iron Ma he was putting far more effort, firing a continuous energy beam.

So yes, Iron Man's shield > Moon-busting energy even while keeping for feats in that same scene.

Okay, so fine, he used considerable power to blow up the surface of Titan's moon.

I don't think he used comparable power to hit Iron Man.

And regarding the Space Stone's usage against Strange, how do we figure out exactly how strong that was?

You do realize that you're arguing that the amount of effort Thanos put on clenching his fist casually is greater than him actively firing an energy beam at Iron Man, right?

What argument do you have to suggest he didn't use comparable power. Are of Effect?

Thanos also used the Power Stone against Strange. He needed to do so to break Strange's bonds and attacked Strange with it.

And your argument that he used comparable power is... he fired a beam?

So what exactly? How does that prove the energy he used in the beam is remotely comparable to blowing up the surface of Titan?

And come on, while "closing his fist" is pretty casual, the visible effort Thanos is putting in here is far from casual. Nowhere else in the fight does Thanos appear to be putting in this much effort to his attacks.

Could it not be that the Celestials consider it a worthwhile weapon because it has the attack range that they themselves have not shown to have and that it doesn't need prep time to kill off a planet?

Why would the stone being only planet level when used on a planet not make sense when it was literally described as such?

Matt, I would like to request a scan of the GotG guidebook that mentions the stone. I haven't seen it yet.

The stone rupturing the moon's surface clearly showed great stress from Thanos, I mean, look at that constipated face, as compared to hitting Iron Man with it that he didn't show as much strain.

I never saw the notion that the Celestials would need it out of range, they have better range themselves, and they have planetary levels of energy without prep.

Because it's not described as such. It's a misinterpretation of what it does. And it's not the only stone with Planetary potency either.

> You can also read the Guardians of the Galaxy MCU Guidebook, it never talks about the Orb / Power Stone having variable power. In fact, it literally just attributes it destroying planets to it being powerful enough to do so.

> Matt, I would like to request a scan of the GotG guidebook that mentions the stone. I haven't seen it yet.

This is the Guidebook on the Power Stone . It doesn't confirm that it has static power either. Just that it was capable of wiping out planets. Our only knowledge of the stone's properties comes from Gamora who states its energy varies based on the size of the target. To use a example its like the Death Star. It ranges from High 6-A to 5-A depending on how many reactors they use to power the Super Laser. Only instead of reactors its target size.

> I definitely agree his shields should scale to what they've blocked.

Here's a gif of the scene. To note I think Thanos used the Power and Reality Stone to break the barrier

> how do we figure out exactly how strong that was?

Energy needed to pull the chuncks of Titan's moon to the planet. So Low 5-B to 5-A

@Qawsedf

There's other parts where it mentions the Power Stone and it just says it has the power to destroy planets, and that Ronan "gained the power to destroy Xandar without Thanos" when he got the Stone.

Meaning that before he had to rely to Thanos to destroy planets somehow.

> Meaning that before he had to rely to Thanos to destroy planets somehow.

Couldn't that just be Thanos's army? Infinity War and GotG made some heavy implications that Thanos wipes out or kills off half the population of planets on a semi-consistent bases. With the stone Ronan no longer had to rely on Thanos's military since in-universe the Chitauri and the Outrider are pretty strong (although considering the Chitauri only caused 74 casualties in NYC over a one hour+ period maybe the alien races just suck hard).

Matthew Schroeder said:
He broke the barrier, same barrier that previously tanked the Power Stone by itself. And then after doing that he shot a "Black Hole" at Strange and it got unmade.
So he can use the Space Stone offensively too.
I feel like you haven't been reading anything I've been saying.

@Damage3245 Mirror Dimension Wall maybe?

> The unrealistically low casualty rate in Avengers 1 can be explained by the fact that they wanted to keep the atmosphere fun and lighthearted.

I wanna say that but there's extremly low numbers in Winter Soldier and Age of Ultro as well. Although this does support the idea that MCU writers have no sense of scale.

I'm pretty sure that when Gamora says how it's power varies in size, she's referring to what the stone makes DIRECT contact to (as in the physical stone). When tapping into its raw energies it is shown frequently to be destructive, with it blowing up that one girl who picked it up, and it needing to be distilled through all the guardians in order for them all to not die.

This is opposed to the Infinity Gauntlet, where that sporadic and unchecked power and be more easily controlled and concentrated, like when Thanos is shooting beams and throwing moons.

In GotG both the Celestial and Ronan didn't need to have the power stone directly touch the planet, just have whatever was harnessing its power make contact. While Thanos has shown more control over the stone than with other people, it doesn't dismiss the statement about bigger target = bigger surge. Which is why people are currently scaled to being 5A.

Also in the MCU I don't believe the IG actually makes the stones more controllable, it just makes containing them easier. If you replaced Thanos with Drax, Drax would've been killed by any of the stone's power surge. I'd need to rewatch the Etiri scene to make sure though.

It makes both. The Infinity Gauntlet allows the Stones to be better controlled, as well as contains and combined their powers.

However, Kevin Feige has stated that if anyone other than Thanos had wielded a Six Stone Gauntlet, they'd die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back