• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, Thor's portrayal in Endgame is a realistic depiction of depression with zero means to channel it into something productive. I mean, he's a warrior first and foremost, and he has no one to fight. He's supposed to be a leader, but he self-admitted that he's not fit for that, not yet at least. He's a protector, and his people are reduced to little more than a small village. He got the victory he wanted, but it didn't do any good. All his bravado, his recognizing himself as the strongest in the team, his belief that fate has set a path for him to succeed, it all came crumbling down when he failed to stop Thanos.

He's at the lowest of his life, and compared to fellow drinker of sorrows, Valkyrie, he didn't have a purpose, so he just wasted himself away. He changed topics when talking about Infinity War, he freezes when Thanos is brought up, he begs... BEGS... to wield the gauntlet.

His entire arc for Infinity War and Endgame can be summed up in his own words.

"Please let me do something right."

The Wright Way said:
Does anyone know why Marvel is suddenly pushing Captain Marvel to the front despite people evidently not liking her?
Because Marvel is likely the next in a long line of media producers who take to flipping off their audience as opposed to admitting mistakes because it refutes the political adgenda they're pushing.

I still have some hope but what happened with Star Wars gives me doubts.

It is sad the investors try to make Captain Marvel a black hole eating Wonder Woman with no weakness against piercing weapons...

Just turning out Captain Marvel can be totally replaced by Scarlet Witch, Iron Man and even Captain America - she turns out to be a disposable, replaceable character whose feats in the movie can be replaced by anyone else. Even Kool-Aid Ma may be more useful than Captain Marvel - perhaps KAM is at least as useful as Ant-Ma.

To play devil´s advocate, them trying to make captain Marvel a flagship character for Marvel comics is seems like a logical thing to do. The problem is that not only they are forcing her, she also far, far less charismatics than the other characters.

Yeah, I get having an agenda, but that doesn't excuse having terrible writing. If you want to make a strong female role model, make her likable. This is writing 101. Make her work for things, make her struggle, CM is forgetable because she is almost never challenged. The climax of her film is basically just her stomping Ronan's army with no effort, and when she does struggle against the supreme intelliegnce, she just pulls a heroic second wind out of nowhere and powers through it. She doesn't use smarts or charm or anything to get out of a bind, she just uses more power. She doesn't put her character traits to good use because she doesn't really seem to have any. Here's hoping getting decked by Thanos might give her some character development or something. After all, her "you didn't have me" haughtiness was basically smashed to pieces there, so there could be a lot of good character development coming from that.

This is coming from a guy who wanted to like her movie too.

On a more humorous/chill note, has anyone seen the article about some MIT students hacking the dome and changing it to Caps shield?

Yeah, she's Thanos level without much excuses behind it: Thor had to train and unlock his full potential and even risked his life to get the weapon he needed to kill Thanos, Tony had to constantly develop better armors because of the possibility that Thanos could be a threat to Earth again, Strange had to protect the Eye of Agamotto from any possible menace, etcetera.

Carol just absorbed some energy from a reactor or something, which is fine, but it's not a good reason as of why she should be this strong compared to everyone else, who deserved it much more. Not to mention, an arc she had in her movie was about learning not to constantly spam her powers, which is what ends up being the solution anyways.

Also, she is way too cold in End Game: in Captain Marvel, while yes, she had an identity Crisis and crap, she realized the Skrull's problems and their sufferings, despite her being told that they were enemies for such a long time, and she diced to help them at the end, even at the cost of betraying her Kree partners (which technically were the ones to brainwash her first, but whatever). In the next movie, she doesn't care about anyone's emotions.

I apologize a bit since I dislike to endlessly complain about stuff, but those are just my opinions.

The Wright Way said:
Yeah, I get having an agenda, but that doesn't excuse having terrible writing. If you want to make a strong female role model, make her likable. This is writing 101. Make her work for things, make her struggle, CM is forgetable because she is almost never challenged. The climax of her film is basically just her stomping Ronan's army with no effort, and when she does struggle against the supreme intelliegnce, she just pulls a heroic second wind out of nowhere and powers through it. She doesn't use smarts or charm or anything to get out of a bind, she just uses more power. She doesn't put her character traits to good use because she doesn't really seem to have any. Here's hoping getting decked by Thanos might give her some character development or something. After all, her "you didn't have me" haughtiness was basically smashed to pieces there, so there could be a lot of good character development coming from that.
This is coming from a guy who wanted to like her movie too.
True. If Marvel wants to make Captain Marvel lovable, write her up to be loveable. If Marvel wants to make Captain Marvel strong AH, write her up to be strong AH. But if we look at her feats - suppressed Carol is possibly worse than Hercule Satan, her pre-Endgame feats can be replicated by Shazam and Segata Sanshiro, and, worst of all, her spotlight was stolen by Wanda and looked less useful than Kool-Aid Ma - at least KAM can do time traveling and space traveling, and can smash walls of spaceships too.

Marvel can make Black Widow lovable. Marvel can make Scarlet Witch lovable. It is sad they cannot do the same for Captain Marvel when she's such a pillar she's named after the publishing company herself.

Can't wait to see someone create her suppressed key, her pre-Endgame key and Endgame key and see if she would just be destroyed.

I always enjoy a good dab in media

It's like the loss meme

You're tired of seeing it but that's why it keeps showing up, and it's wonderful.

Cap Marvel is pretty haxless. Throwing her at anything would be an easy win for the opponent.

On a side note though, I don't even hate her actress. Carol is just such a bad character, and has so little screentime that it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care if she's an agenda driven character, Alita did that with way more subtlety and that was an enjoyable film. I don't think Carol has even lost anything to be honest. If we're counting characters with the less screentime than Carol throughout the MCU:

Nebula was literally taken apart and replaced with metal.

Yondu was dishonoured and shunned.

Valkyrie lost all her sisters.

Hell, the guy who helped Tony escape the cave had more depth and character than Carol had in two movies. And he was only around and died in the first part of the movie.

The Wright Way said:
So everyone here agrees that we all hate Captain Marvel and we hate dabbing. Now let's combine them.
hehe.... hehe... HEHE....

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA' I don't have photoshop but hAHHAHAHAHBSAHFAWOHIFWAHIOFHOIAWOHIOHIHIWF

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
Professor Hulk is stronger than fat Thor and Iron Man as he said that they would all die if they put on the gauntlet.
Wasn't Iron Man's gauntlet 6-A btw?
Pretty sure they attributed this to Gamma radiation

WeeklyBattles said:
How messed up is it that since fortnite exists, that means the Thanos event is canon to the MCU
If Fortnite exists, that mean the 2018 YouTube rewind exists, and Will Smith made a very distasteful Thanos snap joke.

Hold on. So cull obsidian gets scaled to the hulk buster mk2 (and bleeding edge iron man) and then that is scaled to mk1 hulkbuster. But the hulk buster mk2 is high 6-B whilst the mk1 is 7-A.

And this is just because we dont want giant man to be high 6-B. Why exactly?

I bet that the whole Thanos situation would be so controversial that YouTube videos would get demonitized/taken down just by featuring people snapping their fingers.

So was anyone else really disappointed in how Gamora was handled? Everyone else got loving reuinions but Starlord got a knee to the groin and then she just went away and we never saw where she ended up.

It makes sense though. She doesn't know him, and he's not exactly boyfriend material at first glance, plus, she suddenly got her worldview turned on its head, not to mention being lost at what to do now that she's stuck in another reality where she doesn't really know anyone.

Gamora and Captain Marvel were really the only two disappointing characters to me, although Gamora's situation was 100% understandable.

Well, Star Lord is not particularly bright after all. You'd think that a kid that age when he was abducted would know what planet he came from.

True enough but its just annoying when people moan about how he lost them the fight on Titan, ignore the context of why he acted like that and when it gets pointed out, they just say he should have kept his cool when practically every other person put in that position would have done the same coughIronMancough

I feel bad for the treatment he and Thor received, as well as Thanos', who was an entirely different character from his Infinity War self.

Give them an example or something. Call their mom an asshole and watch them get all pissy, then tell them to multiply that by cliff diving, and you got yourself a ringer for how Star Lord felt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back