• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Would you agree with this that what Unalaq and Korra did was conceptual manipulation? Raava and Vaatu are responsible for the concepts of light/peace and darkness/chaos afterall.
Interestingly enough, wouldn’t Korra, Unalaq and maybe Jinora have some level of conceptual manipulation then? As absurd as that sounds, it does seem like they’re be able to manipulate Raava and Vaatu in such a way.

-Unalaqs spirit bending almost destroyed Korras soul in the spirit world (which Raava is fused with)

-Unalaq then destroyed Raava in HC

-Jinoras spirit powers were able to speed up Raavas ressurection

-Korra gathered up all of the light that is Raava from inside UnaVaatu and pulled her out

-Korras spiritbending was able to destroy UnaVaatu

I have done the thing.

cXanpuY.png

QD9qdc2.png

This comes from the official ttrpg. I'm curious about this; it seems to imply that anyone who masters spiritbending can either make the streams light or dark. Korra only used the light variant, but could she use the dark variant if she had to? Contrast this to lightningbending, where the text specifies that not everyone who makes lightning can redirect it, and vice-versa.

Weird thing to make a topic on.

I recommend the Azula comic. Without giving any spoilers, I'll say what I believe about Azula's character as she is in the show.

The comic showcases very well that nothing obscures Azula's path to any sort of redemption more than her own pride, and the values that Ozai instilled on her, and that she embraced. Azula believes that power is the measure of how worthy you are, and she believes that failures are unacceptable. These are the major obstacles for Azula to understand and embrace the value of love instead of just fear, and to also admit once and for all her own vulnerabilities, her own insecurities, and all the bad things she has done. She doesn't want to be weak. Without giving spoilers, I'll say this: even when Azula actually does a good thing, she has to justify it to herself through her warped ideas of power, fear and weakness. Azula is a fascinating combination of contradictions. In some level, she knows how messed up her actions and beliefs, but she is (at least for now) too proud to entertain the idea of actually changing those beliefs, and recognize that she needs others too, and that she wants a loving relationship. She would rather blame others than face the truth. She is almost desperately clinging to a worldview that does nothing but keep pushing people away from her. In some level, she resents that she is a "monster", and also believes she is doomed to be like this.

Ultimately, these values of power as the ultimate goal, and that any weakness deserves to be shunned, are burned so deep in Azula's psyche that it will be extraordinarily hard for her to change them. It's like Aaron Ehasz once said: any kind of redemption with Azula would be an ever harder and more tortuous arc that Zuko's was. It would be very different.

Most important thing of all: the comic has great nuance, we shall never forget that. I also highly recommend Airspeed Prime's spoiler review of it.

Weird thing to make a topic on.
I know, but it's part of my fascination with the themes of relativity of power and the "always a bigger fish out there" trope. I explain it better in the second paragraph of the thread. So, please give it a chance if you want to.

On another subject, the YouTube channel Overanalyzing Avatar shared some interesting thoughts about lightning-bending in his last Overanalyzing Korra video. I think I mostly agree with what he says. He believes that the casual, often instant lightning-bending we see in not only in Legend Of Korra, but also by Azula in the comics, should be called electricity bending, because it feels often like just an amped up version of firebending, with the bender having far more fine control than the lightning-bending we saw in Avatar, and also being far less damaging. The lightning we saw in Avatar takes longer to "load", but it is also far more fatal and destructive.

Last edited:
I don't think it should be called something else entirely, but it should be used more often in matchups. It could give a way for Azula or Mako to stun their opponents before finishing them off. Like the Azula vs Todoroki matchup leaned towards the later because of the assumption that Todoroki would react while Azula is charging up.

Azula in The Search and Smoke And Shadow comics spams lightning attacks very quickly, and they generally don't cause much significant harm beyond stunning the opponents, and she can control exactly how intense they are (the page below is an example of the level of fine control she has). The same logic seems to apply to how lightning is in Korra.

qlrs7djwTptRShgYF1hSGEcmQenWoL1oVtKV1RO8TJm61o0dHW2O4J-4KLNX4fE-Nru9Cxr_jR_2=s0

Last edited:
It seems that airbenders have some degree of sound manipulation as some people have guessed. There was the scene in the show where Aang blew the bison whistle really loud so that every animal in the city heard it. This is backed up in the ttrpg where it says that airbenders can use flutes to amplify sound vibrations. And on page 134 it says that they can throw their voice to distract enemies.

Feels like I'm beating a dead horse, but there's still a couple notable speed feats that haven't been calc'ed.

Korra reacting to an almost point-blank explosion

The spirit lights cover the Earth

Before upgrading the speed I think we should apply the stuff that's already been accepted

The profiles still aren't up to date with the latest's calcs and I have this 7-C calc just waiting around collecting dust that would scale to a good majority of the season 3 cast

So if anyone wants to make a CRT for that go ahead

Also if anyone has recommendation for high quality Airbender streaming let me know so I can update with higher quality pictures

A thought occurred to me. Both Zaheer and Yangchen in the novels made people pass out/die from suffocation. In both instances it wasn't instant, it took like a minute. Notably, Yangchen wasn't in the avatar state when she did her feats. Wouldn't it be much quicker, maybe even instantaneous if an avatar was in the AS? And since you're making someone lose air, the durability shouldn't matter unless they have no need for air...

Heck, there was a part in the second novel where she made someone lose consciousness instantly from a similar technique (again without the AS). Granted, this was more due to their internal organs being battered, but asphyxiation definitely also played a part.

kn5ZZX5.png

The planet wide energy movement would be an upgrade
I don't think that by itself would count as an upgrade unless it's proven that the energy went through the entire planet. As such, wouldn't it only be high 6-A, similar to how Boros is high 6-A via a statement saying he would wipe out the surface of the Earth?

However, the energy also covered the spirit world as well, which is at least Earth size. So that would probably give their tiers an upgrade.

Heck, there was a part in the second novel where she made someone lose consciousness instantly from a similar technique (again without the AS). Granted, this was more due to their internal organs being battered, but asphyxiation definitely also played a part.

kn5ZZX5.png
I think this should be a technique (removing all air out of a place) that also kills the airbender who uses it, otherwise it's too OP (and I already don't like bloodbending outside the full moon, for example). I think it's how Gyatso killed all those firebenders alongside himself in that room where his skeleton was, I believe he removed all the air in the room, killing everyone inside it, including himself.

I also believe that sucking the air out of someone's lungs should be a slow process that requires total focus and can only be done to one person at once, like when Zaheer killed the Earth Queen.

I know we're waiting for Asura's thread to conclude, but I want to put this speed feat out there.

In the official Korra video game, Korra in the AS counterattacks the villain while he's attacking her, with time slowed down during the quicktime event. This takes place during a lightning storm (look at how slowed down the rain is and compare it to the earlier lightning).

I'm not sure if this is purely a gameplay thing, or if things are slowing down from her perspective. I can't find much info on the quicktime stuff cause unfortunately the game was taken off all online storefronts. I did find this bit of info on the wiki:
uni0xsz.png

This also pretty much confirms that Korra post-losing her past lives does NOT know how to lightningbend.

Last edited:
I don't think that by itself would count as an upgrade unless it's proven that the energy went through the entire planet. As such, wouldn't it only be high 6-A, similar to how Boros is high 6-A via a statement saying he would wipe out the surface of the Earth?

However, the energy also covered the spirit world as well, which is at least Earth size. So that would probably give their tiers an upgrade.
I meant in speed

Back