• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Changing the Versus Thread One-Shot Gap

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it matters: Substantially more administrators favor 14x (8-3 over 5x) whereas slightly more CGMs favor 5x (10-8 over 14x)- I had stated previously that I would not consider this a calc group concern, but as people wish to consider it one, I would then consider their votes to be more important than thread moderators as it is their direct area of expertise (and more crucial to their position, acknowledging that they are given voting rights on only severe matters
I see I was misremembering this bit then so apologies but yeah 8x is fine by me

I don't mind 8x, if the 14x people are on board with it.
I'm content with the 8x suggestion.
It's the same calc I've been agreeing with, now we just want to switch the scale from below average people to above average people- no complaints.
I see I was misremembering this bit then so apologies but yeah 8x is fine by me
I'm also fine with 8x
I am fine with the 8x.
8x is fine with me
I'm fine with the 8x suggestion as well.
@Antvasima Is this enough staff agreement to apply this?

I think so, yes. Thank you for helping out. 🙏🙂

So are any of you willing to properly apply this change in our relevant wiki instructions page(s)?

I do not think that a mass-edit is required here, just to modify an instruction page.

I do not think that a mass-edit is required here, just to modify an instruction page.
Okay well if what needs to be edited can be typed out I can handle it when im off work and at home in 5 hours unless someone gets to it first

Well, I think that we mainly need to update the maximum 7.5x matchup gap to roughly 8x instead, while embedding a scaling link to the blog post where the new gap was calcilated, but I am not sure in which page the current matchup gap instruction is located, as I could not find it here:

Well, I think that we mainly need to update the maximum 7.5x matchup gap to roughly 8x instead, while embedding a scaling link to the blog post where the new gap was calcilated, but I am not sure in which page the current matchup gap instruction is located, as I could not find it here:

I wrote a draft myself for the new version of the section.
When a humanoid character gets hit in the torso region, debates usually treat the assailant as needing an [[Attack Potency]] eight times higher than their opponent's durability to one-shot them. This gap comes from the difference between the upper bound of a '''Human level''' character's strength ('''106 Joules''') and [[References for Common Feats#Punching through a skull|the energy needed to fragment an average human skull in one blow]] ('''838.5 Joules'''). Note that this value is only an approximation, and the actual gap can be higher or lower depending on certain factors; do not assume that a gap of 8× will lead to a one-shot in every conceivable situation.
*If one character exhibited his level of attack potency casually and another nearly died while exhibiting his level of durability, or vice versa, the gap between their respective statistics that is needed for a one-shot to happen may be lower or higher than 8×.
*A character can one-shot another without a significant strength advantage by targeting weak points.
*This gap is only valid in versus threads; it does not apply to in-universe feats of one-shotting other characters, as using it as such a [[Multipliers|multiplier]] for [[powerscaling]] purposes is considered [[Calc Stacking]].

Thank you greatly for helping out. 🙏🙂❤️

I think that your draft text seems good to apply.

I wrote a draft myself for the new version of the section.

When a humanoid character gets hit in the torso region, debates usually treat the assailant as needing an [[Attack Potency]] eight times higher than their opponent's durability to one-shot them. This gap comes from the difference between the upper bound of a '''Human level''' character's strength ('''106 Joules''') and [[References for Common Feats#Punching through a skull|the energy needed to fragment an average human skull in one blow]] ('''838.5 Joules'''). Note that this value is only an approximation, and the actual gap can be higher or lower depending on certain factors; do not assume that a gap of 8× will lead to a one-shot in every conceivable situation.
*If one character exhibited his level of attack potency casually and another nearly died while exhibiting his level of durability, or vice versa, the gap between their respective statistics that is needed for a one-shot to happen may be lower or higher than 8×.
*A character can one-shot another without a significant strength advantage by targeting weak points.
*This gap is only valid in versus threads; it does not apply to in-universe feats of one-shotting other characters, as using it as such a [[Multipliers|multiplier]] for [[powerscaling]] purposes is considered [[Calc Stacking]].
Will it still be torso region? Because the calc is for breaking/punching through a skull.

Thank you greatly for helping out. 🙏🙂❤️

Will it still be torso region? Because the calc is for breaking/punching through a skull.
I have applied it in our One-Shots page without the "torso region" bit. Close this thread.

I have applied it in our One-Shots page without the "torso region" bit. Close this thread.
It's not there? Everything on the page still says 7.5x to me.

It's not there? Everything on the page still says 7.5x to me.
Oversight, fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back