• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Another shot at Yggdrasil (God of War)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tree's branches stretching out to infinity definitely ain't a metaphor.

Didn't Cory Barlog like a tweet from a guy expressing shock at that part from the novel, basically confirming it?
I think it was an Insta DM, no idea about its legitimacy, but it really shouldn't matter.

It's from an Insta DM AFAIK. Don't see why we should need it tho. WoG is superseded by source materials anyway unless it only reaffirms what is already in the source materials, as per the rules.

Anyways the statement “like it stretches to infinity” in this instance doesn’t qualify as a simile.

A simile is a comparison of one thing to another separate thing usually for the intended purpose of emphasizing and highlighting something with exaggerate language. An example is “Your smile is so great. It’s like it shines as bright as the sun.”

But the statement here is “they opened the mystic gateway into a strange environment. Like a tree branch that stretches out to infinity.”

In this statement it’s not comparing the Tree’s environment to anything more so is it describing the tree branch itself in the environment. Simply a description of the environment they stumbled upon in rather than a comparison towards any other thing in order to emphasize something. Hence why I don’t find this statement to be a simile.
You are correct that the statement "like a tree branch that stretches out to infinity" is not a simile because it is not comparing one thing to another separate thing for the purpose of emphasizing something with exaggerated language.

Rather, it is describing the environment they stumbled upon in a metaphorical way, using the image of a tree branch stretching out to infinity. It is still a literary device, specifically a metaphor, used to create a vivid image in the reader's mind.

It's from an Insta DM AFAIK. Don't see why we should need it tho. WoG is superseded by source materials anyway unless it only reaffirms what is already in the source materials, as per the rules.
I don't see why we should not use it.

Also, @KLOL506, you are going to chill out and reduce insulting me or even being passive-aggressive with me even if I am having entirely different opinion on this.
I have nothing against you, not even having a world war with you. So chill out

Rather, it is describing the environment they stumbled upon in a metaphorical way, using the image of a tree branch stretching out to infinity. It is still a literary device, specifically a metaphor, used to create a vivid image in the reader's mind.
Absolutely incorrect, it is in blatant reference to the tree branch of Yggdrasil itself, there is no need to create a vivid image in the reader's mind given that they then jump off of said branch with the Unity Stone itself. The Jumping is literally in the next paragraph after that statement.

Absolutely incorrect, it is in blatant reference to the tree branch of Yggdrasil itself, there is no need to create a vivid image in the reader's mind given that they then jump off of said branch with the Unity Stone itself. The Jumping is literally in the next paragraph after that statement.
Thank you for providing additional context.

Then, it is possible that the statement "they opened the mystic gateway into a strange environment. Like a tree branch that stretches out to infinity" could still be interpreted as a metaphor rather than a simile.

In this case, the comparison is being made between the environment they stumbled upon and the mythological image of Yggdrasil's tree branch stretching out to infinity. The metaphorical comparison serves to create a vivid image in the reader's mind of the strange and mystical environment they have entered.

Thank you for providing additional context to the statement you were referring to.

Then, it is possible that the statement "they opened the mystic gateway into a strange environment. Like a tree branch that stretches out to infinity" could still be interpreted as a metaphor rather than a simile.

In this case, the comparison is being made between the environment they stumbled upon and the mythological image of Yggdrasil's tree branch stretching out to infinity. The metaphorical comparison serves to create a vivid image in the reader's mind of the strange and mystical environment they have entered.
Not even a bit. It is still referring to the tree branch itself that they then jump off of. Literally couldn't get any clearer than this. There is no comparison being made here to begin with. The environment is the Realm Between Realms. The Tree branch is... the tree branch of Yggdrasil itself. That simple.

Not even a bit. It is still referring to the tree branch itself that they then jump off of. Literally couldn't get any clearer than this. There is no comparison being made here to begin with. The environment is the Realm Between Realms. The Tree branch is... the tree branch of Yggdrasil itself. That simple.
Alright, I will concede on this or rather being neutral on this matter.

You are correct that the statement "like a tree branch that stretches out to infinity" is not a simile because it is not comparing one thing to another separate thing for the purpose of emphasizing something with exaggerated language.

I disagree that this is being used in a metaphorical way due to the fact that the thing being described is the tree branch itself. This said tree holding all the nine realms on each of its branches, the statement of those branches being stretched out to infinity does not imply any metaphorical sense to it when it’s made clear that the Yggdrasil is the thing being described here.

In fact the statement goes as follows: “They opened the mystic gateway into a strange environment.”

This statement sets up the area in they are in which they label as “a strange environment.”

The next statement of “Like a tree branch that stretches out to infinity.” Is a descriptive of “the strange environment.” That being the branches of the Yggdrasil itself.

There is no sense that this statement is to be taken in a metaphorical sense when it’s being used as purely a descriptive of the environment around Kratos in reference to the Yggdrasil holding up the very cosmology of the Norse realm.

Anyway, we'll just wait for the other staff that we tagged handle this.

I disagree that this is being used in a metaphorical way due to the fact that the thing being described is the tree branch itself. This said tree holding all the nine realms on each of its branches, the statement of those branches being stretched out to infinity does not imply any metaphorical sense to it when it’s made clear that the Yggdrasil is the thing being described here.

In fact the statement goes as follows: “They opened the mystic gateway into a strange environment.”

This statement sets up the area in they are in which they label as “a strange environment.”

The next statement of “Like a tree branch that stretches out to infinity.” Is a descriptive of “the strange environment.” That being the branches of the Yggdrasil itself.

There is no sense that this statement is to be taken in a metaphorical sense when it’s being used as purely a descriptive of the environment around Kratos in reference to the Yggdrasil holding up the very cosmology of the Norse realm.
Idk what you are talking about, but the next statement is used as comparison, hence it used the “like”, if it was equal as you mentioned, then the sentence would be
"They opened the mystic gateway into a strange environment, and they found themselves on a tree branch that appeared to stretch out to infinity."

Idk what you are talking about, but the next statement is used as comparison, hence it used the “like”, if it was equal as you mentioned, then the sentence would be
"They opened the mystic gateway into a strange environment, and they found themselves on a tree branch that appeared to stretch out to infinity."
They used the "Like", but it wasn't made in the form of a comparison, because a few lines later they shift to talking about Tyr jumping off of said branch with the Unity Stone in hand, about how Tyr always walked his own path.

Anyway, I talked with Ultima, this is our conversation:

Me: Do you get Low 1-C for encompassing and being infinitely larger than a Low 2-C structure, or a 2-A structure? Because from what the current standards say it's only about encompassing a 4-D structure. It does not specify what kind of 4-D structure it's talking about, Low 2-C or 2-A.

Ultima: Muddy territory, frankly. 2-A is generally a much safer starting point for that, since we don't really accept that there any any jumps in size that are higher than "baseline" 2-A but smaller than Low 1-C (See the standards on the destruction of multiple infinite multiverses); the smallest skip in size at that point is just Tier 1. Meanwhile with Low 2-C we are forced to include a bunch of shit between it and Low 1-C.

Ultima: Although speaking in terms of raw logic, then I'll note that encompassing an infinitely large structure alone isn't necessarily an infinity higher than it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_line_(topology) Take this thing, for example.

In a way you can say that, compared to the real number line, it extends a lot further.
Since the real number line is made of a countably infinite amount of intervals placed side-by-side (Intervals like, say, [0,1] or [1,2], I'm sure you know what I'm talking about)
While the long line is made of an uncountably infinite number of such intervals.
Despite that "increased" length the long line is still a 1-dimensional object.
It's not 2-D.
So, there being something that says "Yeah the structure is, in fact, larger than what it encompasses" is important.

Me: So there needs to be a direct statement that is akin to like "This structure views those structures as X-sized (Far smaller than it)/insignificant" or similar is absolutely required then?

A structure being deemed infinitely big and it encompassing realms but there being no direct comparison like the above wouldn't qualify it for Tier 1, correct?

Ultima: Yeah.

So there you have it folks. Low 1-C Yggdrasil is kill. As is the act of getting Low 1-C via encompassment without any direct size-comparison statements like the above, like KH and Bayo have. Which GoW's Yggdrasil does not.

They used the "Like", but it wasn't made in the form of a comparison, because a few lines later they shift to talking about Tyr jumping off of said branch with the Unity Stone in hand, about how Tyr always walked his own path.
Bro what, “like” is a comparison term, TF? the term "like" is used to make comparisons between two or more things. It is commonly used in everyday language to draw similarities between different objects, people, or concepts.

In the given sentence, "like" is used to create a simile, which is a type of comparison that uses the words "like" or "as" to compare two things.

The sentence reads: "They opened the mystic gateway into a strange environment. Like a tree branch that stretches out to infinity." Here, "like" is used to compare the mystic gateway to a tree branch that stretches out to infinity. This comparison is used to help the reader understand the mysterious and seemingly never-ending nature of the environment that the characters have entered into.

Let's move on.

Me: Do you get Low 1-C for encompassing and being infinitely larger than a Low 2-C structure, or a 2-A structure? Because from what the current standards say it's only about encompassing a 4-D structure. It does not specify what kind of 4-D structure it's talking about, Low 2-C or 2-A.

Ultima: Muddy territory, frankly. 2-A is generally a much safer starting point for that, since we don't really accept that there any any jumps in size that are higher than "baseline" 2-A but smaller than Low 1-C (See the standards on the destruction of multiple infinite multiverses); the smallest skip in size at that point is just Tier 1. Meanwhile with Low 2-C we are forced to include a bunch of shit between it and Low 1-C.

Ultima: Although speaking in terms of raw logic, then I'll note that encompassing an infinitely large structure alone isn't necessarily an infinity higher than it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_line_(topology) Take this thing, for example.

In a way you can say that, compared to the real number line, it extends a lot further.
Since the real number line is made of a countably infinite amount of intervals placed side-by-side (Intervals like, say, [0,1] or [1,2], I'm sure you know what I'm talking about)
While the long line is made of an uncountably infinite number of such intervals.
It's not 2-D.
So, there being something that says "Yeah the structure is, in fact, larger than what it encompasses" is important.

Me: So there needs to be a direct statement that is akin to like "This structure views those structures as X-sized (Far smaller than it)/insignificant" or similar is absolutely required then?

A structure being deemed infinitely big and it encompassing realms but there being no direct comparison like the above wouldn't qualify it for Tier 1, correct?

So there you have it folks. Low 1-C Yggdrasil is kill. As is the act of getting Low 1-C via encompassment without any direct size-comparison statements like the above, like KH and Bayo have. Which GoW's Yggdrasil does not.
MF, I GOT BULLIED BY 5 PEOPLE DUDE, AND ULTIMA SAID THE SAME THING LIKE ME????

It's not 2-D.

I think these statements, if supplemented with "transcending ", may be sufficient for tier 1.

MF, I GOT BULLIED BY 5 PEOPLE DUDE, AND ULTIMA SAID THE SAME THING LIKE ME????
One, I never agreed to Low 1-C Yggdrasil. Ever. Two, I was only arguing for the size of Yggdrasil not being metaphorical because of what comes next immediately after.

Bro what, “like” is a comparison term, TF? the term "like" is used to make comparisons between two or more things. It is commonly used in everyday language to draw similarities between different objects, people, or concepts.

In the given sentence, "like" is used to create a simile, which is a type of comparison that uses the words "like" or "as" to compare two things.

The sentence reads: "They opened the mystic gateway into a strange environment. Like a tree branch that stretches out to infinity." Here, "like" is used to compare the mystic gateway to a tree branch that stretches out to infinity. This comparison is used to help the reader understand the mysterious and seemingly never-ending nature of the environment that the characters have entered into.
The next lines afterwards they immediately proceed to walk into that tree branch, but before this they talk about how Tyr stepped off of the branch of the World Tree, same exact paragraph.

“There it is! We’ve got it!” Atreus said.

“The panel in Odin’s library showed him holding this,” Kratos said.

“Yes… yes! That’s it. I understand now. It showed Týr walking the realm between realms. Normally to stray from the path is certain death. Well, Týr always followed his own path, if you catch my meaning.”

“The realm between realms…” Kratos said.

“So you’re saying Týr’s shrine was showing him stepping off the branch of the World Tree. And you’re thinking, to reach the secret path to Jötunheim, that’s what we need to do?” Atreus asked.

“I am,” Kratos replied.

“Oh, dear. That is what you’re thinking, isn’t it?” Mimir said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back