• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Anos Volidgoad Resistance Analysis and Changes [Maou Gakuin]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing one of a few threads I promised I’d do a long ass time ago. Basically, Anos has some unsourced resistances on his profile. I’d like to take the opportunity to look at these individually, as well as the nature of anti-magic in MGK and how it works.

Electricity Manipulation

This is from Anos shrugging off the effects of <Jirasd> in volume 1. The feat itself is quite clear, but there is more at play than just tanking a lightning bolt. Jirasd is what’s known as origin magic, or magic that has been greatly amplified due to being drawn from a specific origin. Such magic has a caveat though; It works on everyone except the origin of the magic in question. Wouldn’t you know it, Anos is the one who invented Jirasd, so he naturally isn’t affected by it - not due to his own innate resistance, but due to a weakness of origin magic in general.

Ice Manipulation and Transmutation

This stems from the claim that anti-magic can cancel the effects of Misha’s Eyes of Creation. For reference, Misha uses this ability exactly once, in volume 4 part 1. The one instance of her using this ability shows her transmuting someone into ice; Nobody ever resists it, and she doesn’t even use it against anyone else to begin with. I am legitimately baffled as to where this came from. As seen below, anti-magic would no longer be considered a form of resistance even if this feat was legit.

Fire Manipulation

As mentioned before, anti-magic is not a valid means of granting resistance to anything. However, despite looking through every volume for a source on magic power extinguishing flames, I couldn’t find anything, so I’m fairly certain this needs to go.

Body Puppetry

This one’s pretty legit; It’s repeatedly confirmed that the ability to resist this is reliant on, well, resistance. So just add these scans and we’ll be good to go.

Anti-Magic

Anti-magic is a topic frequently brought up in Maou Gakuin, but Anos’ page does a poor job of explaining what exactly it is. As the name implies, it acts as protection from magic, but it is decidedly not a resistance - as shown here, it’s a very distinct entity from magic resistance, and overreliance on it actually weakens one’s magic resistance. It is directly shown to interfere with or outright cancel magic, so it is moreso power nullification than “resistance” to any individual power.

Given its nature as power null, it has an obvious weakness: No means of countering physical attacks. Anos states this pretty clearly when he encounters a castle with anti-magic barriers in place and responds by casually yeeting it. This is again mentioned when Anos bypasses a door protected by anti-magic by pushing it open, and yet again when a casual sword swing from Ivis tears apart Anos’ anti-magic. Finally, Anos’ anti-magic is easily overcome by Lay’s sword attacks. From this, it’s quite clear that anti-magic is anti-magic alone; Regardless of what form it takes, enough raw muscle can bypass it. Notably, this would mean Venuzdonoa loses its resistance to power null, as it overcoming “layers upon layers of anti-magic” hardly means anything when it’s a sword, which is a physical attack.

So anti-magic is pretty clearly power null, which means it should be removed from the resistance tabber and moved to Anos’ power null justifications. However, this is just the start of the issues. Anti-magic barriers and armor are reliant on the discrepancy in power level between caster and defender; Against origin magic like Jirasd, a typical anti-magic barrier won’t hold because of the vast increase in power. Ivis clearly states that Anos’ magic is far more powerful than his, which allows his anti-magic barriers to be torn apart (this also showcases another flaw of anti-magic: it’s possible to bypass barriers entirely if you just cast a spell inside of it lol). Finally, while there are likely other examples, volume 2 makes explicit mention of how anti-magic is reliant on the power difference between the magic and anti-magic; Any anti-magic can be overcome if you just… make your magic stronger. So while anti-magic is power null, it has a very clearly defined limitation in regards to its mechanics.

TL;DR: Anti-magic is a limited form of power null reliant on one’s power level. It only works on magic, and physical blows can bypass it without issue. This also means Venuzdonoa loses resistance to power nullification.

Unofficial translations are now accepted, no? Isn't his profile gonna have a big ass rework as such?
Over my dead body. Anyways, I haven't heard anything regarding a huge rework, but I'll be playing by the official LN translations until then. Regardless, considering a lot of this is based on the mechanics of anti-magic, which were set up in volume 1 and have no indication of having been retconned, I think most of this CRT would still be fine regardless of what's in the WN.

Seriously, this MGF situation is funny. Several crts and discussions.

At this point I'm starting to think "Why don't they delete Anos' profile and try to redesign everything again"

Either way, great fun to follow from the outside. Just that.

MDF - MGF, coincidence to have similar acronyms or not? (Anos should have as a weakness to Mad Dog listed in profile)

Seriously, this MGF situation is funny. Several crts and discussions.

At this point I'm starting to think "Why don't they delete Anos' profile and try to redesign everything again"

Either way, great fun to follow from the outside. Just that.

MDF - MGF, coincidence to have similar acronyms or not? (Anos should have as a weakness to Mad Dog listed in profile)
agree fra

I did not notice, you are female too, hooray.

Ya, I do but it's uncompleted. Doing it with my team. The verse is also big. :)

Ya it will be, I will bring the whole verse back, but I need to adjust it a bit. So this thread is simply spiteful.
You would have to pass a CRT first lol

If there's evidence beyond the officially translated LN that disproves this thread, then post it. If not, keep coping.

Aha, obviously you did not, since you took screenshots out of context. Lols.

then people say maou gakuin verse supporters are toxic, bruh
Real, and staff members won't warn Fuji as well. Ehh, there is no point in arguing if then, I will create a thread about anti-magic anyway, this thread is obviously spiteful as well.

A blog suffices as well.

This is from Anos shrugging off the effects of <Jirasd> in volume 1. The feat itself is quite clear, but there is more at play than just tanking a lightning bolt. Jirasd is what’s known as origin magic, or magic that has been greatly amplified due to being drawn from a specific origin. Such magic has a caveat though; It works on everyone except the origin of the magic in question. Wouldn’t you know it, Anos is the one who invented Jirasd, so he naturally isn’t affected by it - not due to his own innate resistance, but due to a weakness of origin magic in general.
I'm sure we've talked about this before. Jirasd drew (or tried to draw) magic power from the demon king Avos, not Anos. And Anos doesn't have any kind of "natural resistance to origin magic" for having created origin magic, unless it's stated at some point.

I'm sure we've talked about this before. Jirasd drew (or tried to draw) magic power from the demon king Avos, not Anos. And Anos doesn't have any kind of "natural resistance to origin magic" for having created origin magic, unless it's stated at some point.
Jirasd draws power from Anos regardless of who the caster thinks they're drawing power from. Doesn't matter if that guy believed it was Avos; It still tied back to Anos all the same. I'm aware that Anos doesn't have an innate resistance to origin magic, all I said was that it's a weakness of origin magic (that being that it doesn't work against what it draws power from).

Jirasd draws power from Anos regardless of who the caster thinks they're drawing power from. Doesn't matter if that guy believed it was Avos; It still tied back to Anos all the same. I'm aware that Anos doesn't have an innate resistance to origin magic, all I said was that it's a weakness of origin magic (that being that it doesn't work against what it draws power from).
How so? Does the spell draw power from Anos' origin even though the character is trying to draw power from someone with a source, history, deeds, name, and everything else other than Anos (another person)? The spell draws power from the origin the caster tries to draw power from, if Zepes tried to draw power from the of the Demon King Avos (a being with history, name, origin, deeds, etc. All different from Anos), he tried to draw power from the Demon King Avos, not Anos.
I have no idea where you're getting this connection that Zepes "had" with Anos even though he's trying to draw power from a being completely different from Anos at all.

Last edited:
Magic power*

How is this even relevant to
  • To the discussion of the thread
  • To the messages of my post
Stop derailing, you can continue it in my wall.

Avos draws power from anus, so a chain could be at play

And the unnecessary jokes/comments don't stop...
Anyway, the subject of anti-magic goes deeper than that, and has many more deeds and statements.

1. There are more than one type of anti-magic, barriers are able to stop physical and sword attacks.

Anos says that his anti-magic barrier would break Zepes' sword, in addition to also saying that the anti-magic barrier that is constantly in his body is weak, so feats of characters like Ivis and Lay being able to destroy them not exactly something out of the ordinary, as they are pretty powerful characters between the first 4 volumes, while Anos purposefully puts little magic into his constantly activated barrier, in addition to Anos himself saying that he took the blow from Ivis on purpose so that he would approach.

2. There are various types of anti-magic such as spells, items, barriers, etc. A lot of them are very different from each other, having abilities that the other doesn't, so this is at best just mentioning certain types of anti-magic, and it's mentioning it wrong.

Taking into account the various types of anti-magic (in addition to the various statements and deeds surrounding them), using your "statement" as if it were something that encompasses anti-magic throughout the verse is meaningless, especially when most of the statements and deeds you've posted are from anti-magic "extras" who aren't even named.

Last edited:
Are y'all just gonna leave out that Demon Swords are explicitly referred to as being magic in nature?

In other words, his anti-magic being able to shatter it doesn't change the main point Fuji brought up. Physical attacks powered by something magical would still be affected by the anti magic barrier.

That's the only insight I could be bothered to look up myself, so I'll dip unless something else catches my eye.

Are y'all just gonna leave out that Demon Swords are explicitly referred to as being magic in nature?

In other words, his anti-magic being able to shatter it doesn't change the main point Fuji brought up. Physical attacks powered by something magical would still be affected by the anti magic barrier.

That's the only insight I could be bothered to look up myself, so I'll dip unless something else catches my eye.
The sword is infused with magic, if the only thing the magic barrier did was negate spells/magic, the sword's magic would be negated/useless against the barrier, but the blade would remain the same (it wouldn't break).
Besides the but, the sword used by Lay in the fight is a magic sword.

Spiteful, intentionally to simply provoke the community.

I do wonder, when thread moderators are going to moderate the title.
image.png

1. There are more than one type of anti-magic, barriers are able to stop physical and sword attacks.

Anos says that his anti-magic barrier would break Zepes' sword, in addition to also saying that the anti-magic barrier that is constantly in his body is weak, so feats of characters like Ivis and Lay being able to destroy them not exactly something out of the ordinary, as they are pretty powerful characters between the first 4 volumes, while Anos purposefully puts little magic into his constantly activated barrier, in addition to Anos himself saying that he took the blow from Ivis on purpose so that he would approach.

The thing about Ivis and Lay being able to bypass Anos' "weak" anti-magic is yet another example of how AP ties into the effectiveness of anti-magic, so thanks. While I do think Anos' anti-magic being able to break weapons is interesting, it obviously only works on magic weapons (because they're, yknow, magic), and there are still plenty examples of raw physical force bypassing anti-magic normally. Notably, Anos treats his anti-magic and barriers as separate things in the same scan where Lay harms him. Also, Anos choosing to take Ivis' attack doesn't mean much when the text still says it tore through his anti-magic.

2. There are various types of anti-magic such as spells, items, barriers, etc. A lot of them are very different from each other, having abilities that the other doesn't, so this is at best just mentioning certain types of anti-magic, and it's mentioning it wrong.

Taking into account the various types of anti-magic (in addition to the various statements and deeds surrounding them), using your "statement" as if it were something that encompasses anti-magic throughout the verse is meaningless, especially when most of the statements and deeds you've posted are from anti-magic "extras" who aren't even named.
I'm aware anti-magic can be used in different ways, but the fundamental nature of it doesn't change; It nullifies magic, and it is reliant on power levels. I was not able to find an exception to this rule, so while there are undeniably different types, there will always be some shared traits between them (notably, the two I just mentioned).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back