• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An issue with the classification of precognition

Also, if we are letting Prediction as a form Precognition, then it has to be strict, because just "Can predict the opponents move" is just lazy, vague and can destroy the validation of prediction.

Imagine a fight where I am an inexperienced boxer, but my opponents is not only less experienced, but flat idiotic as well. ┬┐Do I get precognition because his attacks are predictable as hell?, No.

Prediction should be deserved for characters with impressive amount of skill, experience and/or intelligence to see the next attack through pure intuition. No any soy boy that can predict a brainless enemy. It would be the equivalent of "Mental Precognition", but less silly.

Newendigo said:
This should not added at all.

f the opponents is literally telling what its their next move (Conscious or unconscious), then you are not sensing the future, not even prediction or instict, not even any form of analysis, the opponent is telling you what is going to happen.
By that logic, you could argue that precognition as a whole is all about consulting something that knows about the future, even time itself.

Mind Reading can be counted as a type of precognition because you are reading someone's through and thus knowing what he's gonna do next.

And besides, even unconsciously, the guy isn't directly "telling you" what he's gonna do, he's just thinking about it, and you already know it.

It can't counted as precognition because the enemy is practically telling you, it doesn't fall in any other category.

In a fight, if the opponents is directly giving you the information if his next ve, you don't get precog from that, regardless if its unconsciously.

If this were to be accepted, literally any anyone that could get through the opponent mind would get precognition, which is factually wrong.

Also, see my comment above, you need something more than just "predict a next move" to get precognition.

The opponent isn't telling you that. You are the one getting that information from the opponent.

If you read the opponent mind through telepathy, you see what he's planning to do, and you get an idea of how to counter it, you don't have precognition, you have common-sense; is not even a feat of skill or intelligence because any avarage person can assume the must obvious asnwer if they get the direct info.

The point of prediction/intuition is to predict an upcoming outcome through an analysis of the situation, supported by the intelligence, experience and skill of the user. Mind Reading makes the three latters worthless.

Nedge1000 said:
AguilaR101 said:
Wokistan said:
But to rate ordinary prediction as precog is to give precog to basically anyone decent at fighting or other competition. Predicting the actions of others is an integral part of these activities.
big whoop, predicting movements is nothing special.
I agree.
Completely disagree.

Knowing where you opponent is going to go, what they're going to do, how they are going attack, where they're going to attack, etc. is extremely important. Misreading an opponent is one the worst things you can do in in anything involving strategy and tactics.

The ability to tell what your opponent is most likely to do, leaves you better prepared to deal with and/or counter them, if possible. It could even tell you if you're unlikely to win if the situation goes a certain way.

Being able to analyze the intangibles that make a situation what it is and knowing what you need to do to come out on top is extremely important from lowly compeitions to life and death situations.

So what should we do here? Rewrite the Precognition page or remove the power from characters that can only predict battle movements via experience or telepathy?

I think the later should be removed, but that the page should also be cleaned up to make it less self contradictory and more clearly define what we set as precog as opposed to other abilities. I can get to working on that, or help others who have started.

I can't wait until we get to the point in which we have multiple types of Fire Manipulation. ovo

Separate Spin Dash out into types. Even better idea.

Wokistan said:
I think the later should be removed, but that the page should also be cleaned up to make it less self contradictory and more clearly define what we set as precog as opposed to other abilities. I can get to working on that, or help others who have started.
I think that seems like a good idea.

Wokistan seems to be working on improving the page.

He just bumped it because he asked me about this thread in chat earlier, we seemed to have different opinions on what was concluded, so he just wanted to be safe and make sure everyone was on board with my last comment or that I'm actually wrong and more discussion is needed.

Back