• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An issue with the classification of precognition

Wokistan

Bioluminescent African American Working At The CIA
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
Edit: While Dragon Ball files made me remember to make this, the thread's topic has now shifted to the more general issue of classifying precog.

So, Goku and Gogeta currently have the power of Precognition listed, due to this: By predicting Hit's movements by analyzing his style, Goku was able to react to his attacks even when he stopped time.

The issue is, this... isn't precog. This is just regular prediction, better suited as a skill feat than a listed ability. Goku isn't seeing the future here, he's just good enough at fighting to properly guess Hit's next move and react in advance.

These aren't the only profiles with faulty justifications like these, and if I see more I'll add them to the list so hopefully either justifications can be improved or we can remove an incorrect ability.

it may be based on reading the minute body movements of an opponent, predicting their actions through observatio

It falls under precog according to the page.

Our current Precognition page states:

"Precognition may be based on any number of factors; it may be based on reading the minute body movements of an opponent, predicting their actions through observatio, mathematical predictions, or through some unspecified magical or astronomical means, among any other number of abilities."

So predicting your opponent via sheer skill/intelligence is currently counted as Precognition. Should this be changed?

But this is a form of precognition as shown on the Precognition page:

"Precognition may be based on any number of factors; it may be based on reading the minute body movements of an opponent, predicting their actions through observatio, mathematical predictions, or through some unspecified magical or astronomical means, among any other number of abilities."

Precog doesn't always have to be through some magical ability.

And other profiles on the wiki have precognition for similar reasons.

Edit: Ninja'd

Maybe we should make sub-types of precognition.

I was planning to do something like that, but then my suddently computer crashed and I lost all progress...

That seems pretty inconsistent with what's stated before on the page, with it being defined as "The ability to see the future". This would also mean that anyone with some proficiency in fighting would qualify for precog as predicting your opponent is an integral part of combat, which applies to a lot of profiles. It makes more sense to refine the definition.

"It's on a lot of profiles" isn't an argument. Something being prevalent doesn't make it right.

Also note that this isn't something that would end up changing what we actually consider these characters capable of. Goku still had the combat skill to fight Hit regardless of timestop. It's a classification change.

Then the page itself is contradictory, this isn't an issue with the profiles but with the ability being poorly defined by the first paragraph.

DMB 1 said:
Maybe we should make sub-types of precognition.
I was planning to do something like that, but then my suddently computer crashed and I lost all progress...

AguilaR101 said:
Then the page itself is contradictory, this isn't an issue with the profiles but with the ability being poorly defined by the first paragraph.
this

Yeah I agree with you two with the general sentiment that the page is not up to par. I don't think regular prediction should count as precog considering that it would apply to basically anyone with combat experience at all, though.

DMB if you remember kinda the outline of what you had, I may be able to help out. On break rn.

Basically:

• Pseudo-Precognition: Being able to predict future advents through experience, knowledge or studies (may require prep-time to predict advents in the far future)
  • Temporal Precognition: Predicting Future advents by directly looking at the future or based on Fate.
Just a draft, I may merge a type or two.

I'll start making a blog tomorrow if possible.

Technically there's only two types of precognition (at least that I known): Intuitive and Future Vision. Intuitive is performed when the user understand the current situation and knowns to what event can lead; meanwhile the Future Vision works by perceiving a future event by looking directly into it (other types are less directly).

Antoniofer said:
Technically there's only two types of precognition (at least that I known): Intuitive and Future Vision. Intuitive is performed when the user understand the current situation and knowns to what event can lead; meanwhile the Future Vision works by perceiving a future event by looking directly into it (other types are less directly).
I agree.

That file has no precog listed, so I can't really give my opinion. Mind providing context?

If someone known what its opponent thinks by reading its mind or its equivalent then is not quite precog, the user didn't use its intuition, instinct or seen/heard the future.

Yeah, I was planning to add precognition through telepathy/actual mind reading too ("Mental Precognition").

I'll add it to my previous post.

I personally think that the first post makes sense.

Well, they are not time related at least.

I will definitely say that the Precognition page needs to be revised as it's contradicting itself. The first part makes it out like the ability is defined by actually seeing parts of the future but then its second part tries broaden that definition only to really end up backpeddling on the original definition.

Someone like Son Goku is just making educated guesses. He can't actually see the future.

Someone like the Darth Bane from Star Wars can actually see but uses his experience to narrow down the possibilities of what's going to happen.

DMB 1's draft of the different forms of Precognition makes the most sense, IMHO and would get rid of the contradiction on the page.

But to rate ordinary prediction as precog is to give precog to basically anyone decent at fighting or other competition. Predicting the actions of others is an integral part of these activities.

Hajime still has some form of precog btw.

He's the Ultimate Clairvoyant and can see the future

Intuition, Danger Sense and Instintive Reaction should fall in another category that isn't precognition, for instance they aren't affected by Type 2 Acausality.

DMB 1 said:
Yeah, I was planning to add precognition through telepathy/actual mind reading too ("Mental Precognition").
This should not added at all.

f the opponents is literally telling what its their next move (Conscious or unconscious), then you are not sensing the future, not even prediction or instict, not even any form of analysis, the opponent is telling you what is going to happen.

Newendigo said:
DMB 1 said:
This should not added at all.
f the opponents is literally telling what its their next move (Conscious or unconscious), then you are not sensing the future, not even prediction or instict, not even any form of analysis, the opponent is telling you what is going to happen.
I agree with this point.

Wokistan said:
But to rate ordinary prediction as precog is to give precog to basically anyone decent at fighting or other competition. Predicting the actions of others is an integral part of these activities.
big whoop, predicting movements is nothing special.

AguilaR101 said:
Wokistan said:
big whoop, predicting movements is nothing special.
I agree.

Back