• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

“Ain’t that a kick in the Marine Suit” (Doomguy vs the Courier)

If this was Post Sentinel Training Doomguy I'd argue that Courier's Social Influencing doesn't mean jack, but I digress, this is the version of Doomguy I've no knowledge on.

Courier FRA I'd suppose.

Many staff despise social influencing and think it shouldn’t work in any versus thread. Being a power in verse only. I think it’s dumb, but it doesn’t really matter here whether that’s the case or not because the courier has fear manipulation. Also, just want to let you guys know, I have summer final exams so if this thread starts becoming really active again I’m going to be gone for like two days.

Well. It was kinda actually caused by the invisible man vs (hunipop fairy girl who’s name I can’t spell) fight. Both of them were invisible so they just kinda walked away and staff thought opponents just walking away was stupid. So now whether conviencing someone to leave should count as a win has always been questioned. Though others think a characters charisma only works purely in verse because another character being convinced of anything through nonmagical means can’t be proven (apparently).

Well. It was kinda actually caused by the invisible man vs (hunipop fairy girl who’s name I can’t spell) fight. Both of them were invisible so they just kinda walked away and staff thought opponents just walking away was stupid. So now whether conviencing someone to leave should count as a win has always been questioned. Though others think a characters charisma only works purely in verse because another character being convinced of anything through nonmagical means can’t be proven (apparently).
That is an actually brain dead take, ngl.

It’s in one of rules right now if I remember which list of rules to search. It says that opponents just won’t walk away from a fight and need to be forced away (like through BFR) in order for it to count. Let me check and see if I can find it real quick.

Found it, SBA state of mind: “Characters will not give up of their own accord.” This was added from the invisible man fight since both couldn’t find each other and would realistically just leave.

Found it, SBA state of mind: “Characters will not give up of their own accord.” This was added from the invisible man fight since both couldn’t find each other and would realistically just leave.
I mean what else are they supposed to do in that situation? They literally can't fight each other.

That’s exactly what I thought. That’s what I was arguing in the thread either they wail blindly and never find each other, or they give up and walk away. But as we can see by the rule people thought them giving up was weird so now even when a character has a crap ton of reason to run away they won’t unless it’s forced. It’s kinda funny since it means characters that are normally super terrified of something like spiders won’t run away even from the most horrifying and demonic of spiders unless the spider has fear manipulation to force them away. Since the rules have it that they can’t choice to leave on their own accord.

That’s exactly what I thought. That’s what I was arguing in the thread either they wail blindly and never find each other, or they give up and walk away. But as we can see by the rule people thought them giving up was weird so now even when a character has a crap ton of reason to run away they won’t unless it’s forced. It’s kinda funny since it means characters that are normally super terrified of something like spiders won’t run away even from the most horrifying and demonic of spiders unless the spider has fear manipulation to force them away. Since the rules have it that they can’t choice to leave on their own accord.
That's really dumb. Like really, really dumb.

I feel like some staff would try to say the character would run away, but with what is written, you can’t interpret that differently. Fleeing from your own personal fears is “leaving by your own accord”. However, I got to go. I actually got a gf recently and I’m chatting with her before I start another exam. I can be a bit free a few hours from now.

Sorry for being gone for a while, and especially returning so negatively, but I’ve never fully read through SBA in a long while. I don’t know what has happened to it over the years, but this thing stinks. “Each character will view their opponents as enemies, who they have to assume wish to cause them severe harm such that losing could have any range of dire consequences.

Seriously why is this a thing. This is such a immense railroad of the characters. Instead of just seeing a guy the opponents for some reason see the biggest threats to themselves, do you know how drastically that changes characters actions. We might as well be death battle and ignore character all together with SBAs like this.

Edit: Want to clarify the courier has run into multiple people that are massive threats to him and want to kill him, they can go for, and are encouraged to, talk their way out of the scenario so the full SBA doesn’t change my vote. Just annoys me in other matches.

Last edited:
Back