• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About the Naming of the Kimetsu no Yaiba Character Pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, if they don't know the name, it's not our fault, it's the fault of whoever is looking for something they DON'T KNOW THE NAME OF.

Also, when have I said something about "clarity" or "ease of use"? Because I don't see how what I'm saying affects either.

Because that ruins the point of indexing. It is our fault if we use a name that less people use. It isn't their fault that we use a lesser used name for something.

Ion@ We as a wiki should try to make our content as clear as possible, this includes the language being used to find certain characters or verses.

We can't just simply slap people in the face by seeing "Is not our fault but yours".

But what does clarity have to do with anything? Nothing we do here neither adds nor takes away clarity.

And again, if someone is looking for something without knowing its name, it's logical they won't be able to find it.

But They Are Using It's Name Ion We Went Over This. We shouldn't punish people for using the most commonnly used western name for a character.

Accurecy should always take place over "common use". Otherwise, 1-A SMT because that's what most sites rate them as, because that's the most "commonly used" way.

Do you legitimately believe any user would differetiate all the verses that Rep just mentioned?

And it matters because there are people that are used to the english translations, but can't find X thing because we use the japanese names.

Newendigo said:
And it matters because there are people that are used to the english translations, but can't find X thing because we use the japanese names.
Just use redirects in that case, I've said so many times already.

Ionliosite said:
Accurecy should always take place over "common use". Otherwise, 1-A SMT because that's what most sites rate them as, because that's the most "commonly used" wat.
Bruh you ain't even trying to make it look like you sense at this point. This is about profile names not ratings that should have been obvious.

Bruh you ain't even trying to make it look like you sense at this point. This is about profile names not ratings that should have been obvious.

Yeah, but your argument is based around on "muh this is more common", so I give you an example of why we shouldn't go by what's more common, but by what's more accurate.

But that is a massive false equivalency, even a blind man could see that. This is for the sake of indexing, not scaling. You would eat pasta with a fork, does this mean you eat everything with a fork? Do you eat soup with a fork Ion? Does it work better Ion?

You claimed that we shouldn't use the common names for profiles because we wouldn't for scaling. That is like saying saying since you would or would do X to Y so then you would or wouldn't do X to Z even with their differences. (X being using the more common parts and eating with a fork, Y being profile names or pasta, and Z being our scaling and Soup.) So you must eat Soup with a fork by your own logic.

I agree that things should be written in a way that makes then easily recognizable and searchable. We never hear the "Rasengan" referred to as the "Spiraling Sphere" whenever Naruto shouts his attack in the English dub and anyone trying to look up the technique would be lost if we indexed it as such. By the same token, we don't have "Fire Release: Great Fireball" written out in Japanese on Itachi's profile since very few people would recognize it.

I guess I am saying what has been repeated above but in regards to the name issue, as long as the name is more easily recognizable to the general audience then that's how we should structure the profiles. Also, excuse me if I'm wrong but, this thread is just about the naming of the characters and not the verse page right? Cause earlier someone was disagreeing with renaming the verse page when I don't remember that being brought up.

Anyway, adding a redirect does help, but making the profiles more structured so that most people can recognize them is the best option.

Jvando said:
we don't have "Fire Release: Great Fireball" written out in Japanese on Itachi's profile since very few people would recognize it.
This is a bad example, given that very same technique was renamed on the English version and yet we don't use the name "Fire Style: Fire Ball Jutsu".

I still agree with Reppuzan here, we should go by the most recognizable order in the English language as we are an English wiki. Though, we got at least one more staff member.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
We should go by the most recognizable order in the English language as we are an English wiki
And yet, the series is Japanese. Sigh

As long as the verse page retains its current, I don't really care if you rename the characters or not.

I suppose that using the wordings that are most commonly used in English seems fine, but we should preferably use redirects from Japanese as well.

In One Piece's case everyone has their names in the Eastern order because the English versions keep them that way so it's fine to keep them that way for them. But other Manga/Anime verses like Naruto, Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Rurouni Kenshin, and many others do the opposite in the English translations of having their names in the Western order.

Some fanbase use their Eastern names 100% of the time though. Kenganverse for example, they use Eastern names on everything, be it translation, wiki pages, I think even in gacha. Having Western names for those verses confuses people instead of making them easier to search and stuff. I'm in with the verses that use Western style names for their localization, but I'm not in to the ones that do not, like again, Kengan.

I also agree, we go by what the localization use; though redirects are always good.

When you rename a page, it automatically creates a redirect to the old name, so it wouldn't create any navigation issues.

Also, why does One Piece keep poping up? Luffy's name is written ÒâóÒâ│Òé¡Òâ╝Òâ╗DÒâ╗Òâ½ÒâòÒéú... which is KATAKANA, not kanji, you can't apply the whole "Eastern Order" logic to it.

When did I mention anything about modifying One Piece? I just said you keep using it as an example of "Eastern Order", when it isn't, since the names are written in katakana.

Alright, I think we have enough input to make the changes. And One Piece was only brought up by someone else because that was one of the few verses that uses surnames before first names in English localization as far as the ones I'm familiar with are concerned.

Most pages have name and then surname, only Zenitsu, Tanjirou and Nezuko are named in different way, so I vote changing them to "Tanjirou Kamado", "Nezuko Kamado" and "Zenitsu Agatsuma", it's pain to search their pages sometimes and it will be easier to search by names

Can somebody write a list of all the pages that need to be renamed, and then ask a few content moderators to comment here?

I have renamed the pages.

Is there anything else left to do here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back