• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About One-Shots

The conclusion here seems to be that setting a specific number is a very bad idea. Should we close this thread now?

Then we´ll continue with the about x5 AP gap thing? Otherwise, if we simply keep it as that it has to just be discussed in the thread, it can lead to some problems...

No. As there is no way to determine if that's evidentiary. Unless it's significant enough to be considered a stomp, it's not an OHK(O) and there's other stats and attacks to be considered as well.

5x is just a random number and shouldn't be used.

I still think that a value saying "this is an AP advantage big enough to one shot" is needed for all the reasons that I explained in the previous thread though.

I too think a standard one shot gap is required, since not all cases of one shots will be as obvious as a 5-C fighting a 5-B. We should have a standard in place to identify more ambiguous situations of a one shot.

I personally agree with Sera, and think that a specific random value is a bad idea that will get endlessly repeatedly debated. It will also put too great restrictions on versus discussions, which drains the fun out of them and makes it very hard to find suitable opponents.

Random value is a bad idea, but, Andy's suggestion of 7.5x seems good.

Which, is a really stinking wide gap that hax, speed and techique can close pretty well. I don't see any fun really getting drained here, I think you're kinda overexaggerating how much this would effect matchmaking. After all, we can make threads just fine with the value.

It would give rise to lots of discussions regarding which value to use, and also make it extremely hard to find balanced opponents for matchup threads.

I mean, our last discussion on this was months ago, it's not like this is often to problematic degree.

And we only have it now because Weekly ended up bringing it up because Bambu said "no u" to it.

It's not hard, you have to get get people with things to close the gap. I mean, to no offense to you, but do you really have room to talk about matchmaking when you explicitly state on your profile the lack of interest you have on the matter? In fact, from my understanding this is the only time you've talked about it in like, years.

Well, I can still evaluate the practical logistics based on Sera's analysis.

It's hardly the practical if you don't get your hands dirty. Sure, you can look at it and make predictions, but, in reality, this hardly confines matchups. There are many many possibilities even if we're strict about at what point AP Advantages get unfair. There's Hax and speed and many other things that can come into play.

I mean, for one, Annabeth Chase vs Madoka Kaname, 6-C. Annabeth nearly AP stomps, but Madoka's arrows having a chance of instakill and her soul gem give her a real good shot.

In irony, people who say we're too focused on AP are themselves too focused on making AP looser for matchups to see that we're already doing fine.

I don't know where you are getting 7.5x being restrictive to the point where finding opponents is hard.

For tiers like 7-B, literally any AP value is fine as long as you aren't putting a baseline against someone borderline 7-A.

Also, a fixed value could lead to threads arguing against it? Maybe. But without it, you simply move the debate to every vs thread.

In one it will be concluded that 3x is a one shot, in another one it will be concluded that x10 isn't one, and others will keep using x5 due to lack of an alternative.

Saying "case by case" is just ignoring the problem. Also because that's not even case by case.

"Case by case" means that I have an established guideline and apply it considering the situation.

So if for example sake, the gap needed is x5, case by case is:

A is 5 times stronger than B.

A's rating comes from a feat that almost killed them due to the effort.

B's rating comes from a feat performed by walking.

This obviously isn't a one shot.

Saying that the x5 or whatever guideline doesn't exist is not case by case. It's "the wiki has no guidelines regarding this issue"

Kal is right

Also, I want to suggest that the one shot value be based on the assumption that the target is being hit in the torso, gut or head.

This is because you need to assume where the target is hit before deciding a value needed to oneshot, and these regions I believe are where one can most expect a person to be hit during a brawl, barring regions where a significant AP advantage isn't usually needed to KO the opponent

Well, finding matchups for the higher tiers, such as 4-B, with great differences in the feats between different franchises, will turn extremely hard.

@Andy

I'd say the torso personally

@Ant

That's not a factor though. If their feats are orders of magnitude apart, you simply make a hax based fight instead of an AP based one.

No one in the world would call an AP fight between a baseline and a GigaFoe character a "notable victory"

Okay. I still think that setting arbitrary numbers for a one-shot seems unwise though.

The alternative means having double standards though.

My favorite character is losing due to a x6 gap? That's totally a one shot, this thread is a stomp.

My favorite character is winning thanks to a x6 gap? Nah, that's a notable victory and should be added.

Without a guideline, this can totally happen, and it will.

Okay. It will turn very hard to find suitable matchups though.

No, not really. This is merely a guideline to the AP required to one shot.

Matchups need to take into account other stats as well.

Heck there are plenty of cases where the character that would be one shot is actually the one stomping

Is a 7.5x gap significant enough to make all other stats irrelevant? If yes, please elaborate.

No? It's only enough to overcome someone's durability with one attack (for reference, it's the gap between 9-C and 10-B).

Other stats are always relevant.

If this was always about "overcoming someone else's durability in one shot", which I'm sure we both believe isn't a stomp, why are people causing an uproar as if it is indeed a stomp? I'm completely fine with it if it doesn't automatically make matches stomps.

Sera EX said:
If this was always about "overcoming someone else's durability in one shot", which I'm sure we both believe isn't a stomp, why are people causing an uproar as if it is indeed a stomp?
Exactly what I want to know.

The problem with that is different verses have different characters with different AP gap who one-shot each other. Selecting a fixed number for that will be very difficult as it may not be in conjunction with a lot of verses. Plus, finding suitable match-ups will become more difficult.

What is the basis of 7.5x?

@AKM

This is true. Any number assigned would be, maybe not random, but not exactly concrete. Still, I'm fine with it.

You know, a good hit on a good spot can also level a man even with a 2x gap. An example would be Goku vs Nappa.

Base Goku was stronger than Nappa, through and kaiokenx2 crippled him. I think it can range from x2 to x7.5 or higher if the opponent was vaporized depending on factors i mentioned before.

You can one shot people while comparable to or even weaker than them though. I'm fine with 7.5x as a general guideline, but people need to take into the account the specifics of the durability and AP feats of the characters.

So can this be mentioned on the one shot page then? If so, how to word it?

Also on a related note, I want to suggest that we mention two new factors in determining a one shot on the page:

1. Where the target was hit. It has been pointed out that where a target was hit matters in deciding how much of an AP advantage is needed for a one shot. This should be acknowledged on the page.

2.The physiology of a character. Another thing I believe should be mentioned is that the physiology of a character can affect how much of an AP advantage is needed to oneshot. For example a robot or a slime monster may not be as easy to oneshot as someone who has the physiology of a human.

Shouldn't we just rename the thread to "How many times needed to be stronger than the opponent to one-shot if you're literally equal in everything else?"

I mean, this part about one-shotting is about using physical strength only, not any other hax.

@KL You don't need to make thread titles so specific. That name honestly sounded silly to me.

Back