• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About One-Shots

So to summarize:

-7.5 is an approximation for the one shot gap based on the gap between 10-B and 9-C

-As such, it's mostly meant to be applied to characters with a human-like physiology

-Keep in mind that you can one shot a human-like opponent even while being weaker or comparable to them by hitting weak points such as the head.

-The previous rule doesn't apply if a character has feats of taking attacks to weak points as if they weren't weak points.

-The 7.5 gap is not a strict cap, but more something like a guideline, you should keep in mind the eventual scaling/casualness of the feats as well

Not sure why it would need to be applied to the SBA page. It should be added to the vs thread rules and one shot page (the former with clarification that it's not a strict rule)

Okay then. Somebody would have to write up some suitable text to add to each of them though.

Heads, necks, etc. Kal's draft looks good to me, if you want some stuff sdded though I'll see what I can do.

Somebody needs to rework Kaltias' suggestion into a concise rule text.

Welp, there is another value that could work: the threashold mortal for humans in explotions is of 20 psi, any value below is enough for a human to survive. Using 20 psi equation at 1 m the yield is of 336261.4 J. Take into account this is for death by barotrauma, I think a death by real damage is from 60 psi or above.

Other value comes from fallings, humans can survive fallings at 12 m/s without receiving any damage, so the PE of an average guy falling is 5184 J, a non-mortal value.

The humans? According to our system, anything between 40 to 100 J, so the gap in explosions is between 8406.5 and 3362.6, and 129.6 to 51.84 for fallings (although the last one depends of the weight).

I mean, being knocked unconscious is enough to be considered one-shot, you don't really have to die on the spot. So I'm not sure if that value is usable

Reposting this:

- How much effort was put on the attack [ranging from a casual attack, an attack with moderate effort or a full powered attack].

- How much hits were dealt [ranging from one attack to a multi-hit move].

- How much damage it dealt to the opponent [ranging from just being K.O'ed, knocked down with injuries, making a hole in the body, being blown to being disintegrated/incinerated].

- Where the attack connected [to regular part of the body, a less durable part like the head to a part being described as a very weak spot or the foe had his dura lowered on a certain spot, which was mainly targeted].

- The state of the opponent [being at full power, being at regular stamina, being distracted, which lowered or reduced by being casual his dura when was hit, being weakened with halved stamina or several injuries to being extremely tired/heavily injured].

Welp, falls won't definitively knocks someone. As for explosion, I could use other value that do not involve death, but even with 1.8 psi (enough for destroying minor wooden structures) the gap is between 147.7 to 59

Antoniofer said:
Welp, falls won't definitively knocks someone. As for explosion, I could use other value that do not involve death, but even with 1.8 psi (enough for destroying minor wooden structures) the gap is between 147.7 to 59
>falls wont definitively knock someone.

Mmmm yes they do.

That was the value than that link listed, but I could look for another sources just to make sure.

EDIT: Apparently the 12 m/s comes from a paper from the NASA.

You could potentially survive that fall if you landed right and then got Immediate medical attention.

Does the source said that? I think that is for speed between 12 and 17 m/s, but a fall at 10 m/s should be surviviable (it does writte that way?).

As for how to word this guideline, here is what I came up with so far.

Assuming a situation where one character has humanlike physiology and is hit in the torso region, the assailant will normally be treated as needing an attack potency 7.5 times their opponents durability in order to one-shot them. Some important points to consider regarding this guideline are as follows

-The gap of 7.5x is based on the difference between a street level character and a human level character, with the former being commonly accepted as capable of one-shotting the latter

-This value is only an approximation, and the actual gap can be higher or lower depending on certain factors. As such, it should not be assumed that a gap of 7.5x will lead to a one-shot in every single situation without exception

-For example, If one character exhibited his level of attack potency casually and another nearly died while exhibiting his level of durability, then the gap between their respective statistics needed for a one-shot to happen may in fact be lower than 7.5x

-A character can be one-shot without a significant advantage in strength if one targets their weakpoints. This does not apply for those characters who are able to take hits to their weak points like any other location on their body.

-This gap is strictly for VS debating purposes, and will not apply when attempting to derive the attack potency of a character based on a feat of one-shotting another character in his verse.

Tell me if this needs any adjustments. And I also want to know where exactly we would fit all this in the One-Shot page?

Well, we could place it in a separate section at the end of the page. I am not sure what to name it though.

I've lost interest in further discussion. This topic is very exhausting and I have a lot of stuff to do, so you'll have to excuse me for the lack of replies.

Sera EX said:
I've lost interest in further discussion. This topic is very exhausting and I have a lot of stuff to do, so you'll have to excuse me for the lack of replies.
This seems to be ending soon, please hang on a little more.

Does it need a rewrite, or is it fine as it is?

I think that it's fine as it is.

Maybe a "One shot in versus threads" section or something should be added?

"One-shots in versus threads" seems like an acceptable name for a new section in the One-Shot page.

Should we copy the text to the Versus Thread Rules page as well, or just supply a reference link to the one-shot page, as it would take a lot of room otherwise?

It's not a hard and fast rule, so I don't think it should be added to the Versus Thread Rules. Just the One-Shot page.

@AKM

Okay.

@Kaltias

Are you willing to handle it.

I think that it would be good to link it to the stomp thread page, given that it's a possible factor in that direction

Are the rest of you fine with if the following text is added to a separate section at the bottom of the One-Shot page?

"Assuming a situation in which one character has humanoid physiology and is hit in the torso region, the assailant will normally be treated as needing an attack potency 7.5 times higher than their opponent's durability in order to one-shot them.

Some important points to consider regarding this guideline are listed below:

• The gap of 7.5x is based on the difference between a street level character and a human level character, with the former being commonly accepted as capable of one-shotting the latter,
  • This value is only an approximation, and the actual gap can be higher or lower depending on certain factors. As such, it should not be assumed that a gap of 7.5x will lead to a one-shot in every single situation without exception.
  • For example, If one character exhibited his level of attack potency casually and another nearly died while exhibiting his level of durability, then the gap between their respective statistics that is needed for a one-shot to happen may in fact be lower than 7.5x.
  • A character can be one-shot without a significant advantage in strength if one targets their weakpoints. This does not apply for those characters who are able to take hits to their weakpoints like any other location on their body.
  • This gap is strictly for versus debating purposes, and will not apply when attempting to derive the attack potency of a character based on a feat of one-shotting another character in his or her verse."

Back