• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Bullet penetration AP

I've been trying to find the original calcs that specified how much penetration power handgun bullets to .50BMG's have.(I'm 90% sure it exists) But I've been unable to find it. So would someone be kind enough to link me to it?

I have other questions as well. How much penetration power would the main cannon on an M1 Abrams have? 8-B? Or 8-A is what I'd expect. Or what about the penetration energy of the US Navy's prototype railguns?

Power of penetration, if it exist, it would be measured in pressure units, something that our system doesn't work with.

I swear that someone made a calc that estimated how much penetration they have. As in, the tier of durability the'd be able to harm.

Most likely, but I generally do not support calculations that's change pressure/force units to energy ones (unless overpressure).

Yeah no we don't work with pressure but for VS matches it is something to keep in mind.

A 50 BMG bullet can go right through a 12 inch tree, which takes around 15 pounds of TNT (3.14*10^7 J) to explosively fell externally. Basically, bullets can generally punch one tier above their standard AP, not including exotic AP weapons like DU anti-tank rounds.

Profiles for weapons in The Real World often have street level AP but creating much bigger AP by piercing.

Pressure equals force / area on impact. Ah energy also equals force times distance travelled with the force direction.

So given constant distance it is easy to do the damage equivalent from say a punch from a bullet strike.

Back