• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I've encountered a problem in a thread discussing whether or not we should add in LN/Manga feats to a character due to the profile being based on the WN character.

The LN, from what i've read of translated volumes and heard from another, remains mostly the same in story, with the only differ being an addition to characters, worldbuilding and abilities, sort of like an expansion to a video game.

Highlighting cause this is a general problem that comes up with many series.

When is it acceptable to mix the versions, and should we mix them at all is the question.

I would be cool with composite profiles really.

Is a WN a written novel?

Web novels are usually free novels posted on the web.

Usually authors first write the wn and then publish a light novel which is more refined and monetized.

Wn usually serves as rough drafts for ln.

I mean I don't see why you can't use multiple forms of media for a verse if they're canon and consistent. Warhammer 40,000 uses stuff from the tabletop, books, audio dramas, video games, etc.

The question is which version of the characters should we use, or should we just make them composite if the stories don't deviate too much from each other?

As i said wn are like rough drafts, ln tend to add on to stuff.

If the stories don't deviate, using stuff from all of them is probably fine?

If they are mostly the same in terms of powers and abilities, and one story is basically just an extended version of the other, I am fine with doing LN + WN composite.

If there are notable differences, like with Shield Hero WN to LN, I would do separate keys / profiles.

@Woki Problem is that from what I understand, what we're talking about here is multiple adaptations of the same story, not just different stories from different media.

Zach please stay on topic

If its multiple adaptations of the same thing, maybe picking one would make more sense. What is generally the "most official" in Asian media?

I also think that case by case evaluations are best.

Also, should we really keep this highlighted?

@Woki As i said web novels are posted on the internet, then the authors publish light novels which are licensed and monetized, light novels usually expand on stuff presented in the web novel, but sometimes they completely rewrite the story.

Light novels usually take a while to be fully translated while web novels are usually further ahead in the story.

@ Wok

I would imagine the manga, but I don't want to assume.

Edit: Ninja'd

@ Ant

I would have to say no.

Yeah but how does a manga fit in to all this WN/LN stuff? Is it superior or inferior to an LN?

So I have no clue how a manga or anime would fit in, at all, but if there's no specification by the author on which is most canon this would be my suggestion. Use the LN for parts that have been LNified or whatever, and use the WN for stuff that's not done in LN yet, but revise it as the LN is updated.

Only dropping in here to say that this doesn't apply to Overlord, where the LN took over as the primary canon of the series.

If a Light Novel rewrites something, its simply a retcon and it takes precedence over the WN.

Are we talking about abilities and feats that happen later in a LN but have already happened in the WN or are we talking about adding things that are only present in one medium but not in the other? If it's the latter then haven't these things been taken out from the light novels for a reason?

This question bring other problems

If Two adaptation of the Light Novel (Manga and Anime) have two different interpretation of a feat (I talk about Calc feat) what adaptation we choose?

@Wokistan

Depends. Sometimes, series starts as WNs than they get a LN and so on (Like Tensei Shitara Slime)

So order is up in the air

I'd say it's up to how author writes the series and his words. If there's absence of author statement on canonicity of his works, it's better to look at said works generally. If for exemple, the LN and WN of a verse shares the same events with no change whatsoever, with one of them having more details, lore expansion and what else, i see no problem in using them both (Again Tensei Shitara fits this)

@ Wok

I feel as if would be a best case scenario though. What if either possess inconsistent feats and/or statements but it isn't specified on what's true "canon" and what's not? In that case it might just be safer to make separate profiles.

Edit: Ninja'd again

In many verses it would not make sense. Overlord for one has a great chasm between LN and WN to the extend of many main characters not existing.

DontTalkDT said:
If they are mostly the same in terms of powers and abilities, and one story is basically just an extended version of the other, I am fine with doing LN + WN composite.
If there are notable differences, like with Shield Hero WN to LN, I would do separate keys / profiles.
I agree with this point

Celestial Pegasus said:
@Pachi So essential composite profiles? I am ok with that.
Anime and manga should be left as non canon, as we do with most manga series out there unless there is heavy author involvement. That's my opinion, at least.

It seems to depend, if the wn and ln are basically the same but the ln just expands on stuff then i think we should do composite profiles.

If the ln and wn are completely different, ie plot elements no longer the same and the story isn't recognizable, then they should probable be separate and have different keys.

Wokistan said:
So I have no clue how a manga or anime would fit in, at all, but if there's no specification by the author on which is most canon this would be my suggestion. Use the LN for parts that have been LNified or whatever, and use the WN for stuff that's not done in LN yet, but revise it as the LN is updated.
In the case with my question, the manga has bonus material that's exclusive to the manga, but it's consistent with the story and acts as a short-story for a character in the verse. The author states this

AnonymousBlank said:
The author says it himself that there are significant differences, so I think they would be separate.
Only the sequences of events and minor details

@Anonymous They aren't significant, the story is the same, only difference between the manga and web novel is just an added arc, and more explanations on the abilities of the series.

Also i guess some minor things about the characters, like rimuru's interest in breast.

Celestial Pegasus said:
@Anonymous They aren't significant, the story is the same, only different between the manga and web novel is just an added arc, and expansion on the abilities of the series.
Also i guess some minor things about the characters, like rimuru's interest in breast.
LN, Manga and WN all have differences actually, like the short story I mentioned earlier, and the exclusion of some Ifrit crap that was seen in the anime.

I was just using the authors wording but if its just explaining techs there would be no problem. Not sure about an extra arc though.

Back