• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Small Thor Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultima_Reality

?????????
VS Battles
Administrator
About the Herald of Thunder
So, currently, Thor's last key is rated as this:

Up to High Outerverse level via Absorption and the God Blast (Completely drained an amplified Galactus, who stated that he was stronger than ever before, which should include Lifebringer Galactus. Made the Black Winter, who destroyed the Sixth Multiverse, bleed with the God Blast, and later one-shot it after absorbing Galactus' power, sacrificing it in the process)

The fact most of the links seem to be dead put aside, there is the fact that, for some reason, we consider these feats to be exclusive to his Herald of Thunder form. This is extremely weird, because not only does Thor display similar levels of Power Absorption even in his regular All-Father state (The scene itself being a showing of him casually returning to the Herald of Thunder form at will by forcibly taking the power from Galactus), but the Herald of Thunder form itself was just Thor being imbued with the Power Cosmic by regular Galactus. To suggest that it randomly made him that much stronger in all regards is quite unfounded, and not even alluded to, in the story.

So, these justifications should preferably be moved to Thor's All-Father key, and while HoT Thor retains them, he isn't to be seen as the exclusive holder of them.

Chicanery
Long story short: Avengers Assemble: Omega happened, and tomfoolery came about.

Basically, as it turns out, Thor can tap into the Phoenix Fire latent within him (Also a long story) to do cosmic feats. The cosmic feat in question, for reference, being him contributing to holding back the remnants of the First Firmament that were flooding back into reality and threatening to erase the whole multiverse, in this context all of Eternity, for obvious reasons.

Although the feat itself is an outlier for the other Phoenix Hosts that helped with it, it isn't for for Thor, since this is the first time he's ever showcased this ability, and such there really isn't much that it actually contradicts. So, Thor should probably get another justification for his "Up to High 1-A" rating: Not only can he reach that high through Power Absorption and the God Blast, he can also do it through the Phoenix Fire.

More Chicanery
The next part is a tad more controversial, but bear with me here.

So, Thor Annual 2023. M.O.D.O.K somehow uses the Bifrost to access the full power of Yggdrasil, and with his new power, he christens himself as "M.Y.T.H.O.S", overwrites reality and takes over the world. Thor comes to confront him, gets quickly dispatched and set to flee for his troubles. Notably, Thor says that a single blast from M.Y.T.H.O.S tears him apart, "piece by piece."

And as a brief reminder from elsewhere:

Here and here, it's stated to exist across every plane of reality, and here, it's stated to be "everything" and to have branches and roots in "all that is." These statements are given framing context by this, which states Yggdrasil extends over all the multiverse's timelines, and by this, which shows even the Living Tribunal is encompassed by Yggdrasil.

Anyway: Come Round 2, though, and Thor says some... Interesting shit, to say the least. More specifically, he says that the All-Father's power has been stolen, indicating that he doesn't have the Odinforce in him because of M.Y.T.H.O.S' machinations. And yet, as he says, he still has another power: "My belief in myself. The power to keep standing. The power to keep fighting. The power of my heart. The power of Thor." And this allows him to endure several attacks from M.Y.T.H.O.S before his power just... runs out? Thor then beats him by hitting him really hard with a hammer, but the comic does make it clear that Yggdrasil's energy is still inside of M.O.D.O.K, hence Thor needs to defeat him for the tree to heal, and for the world to return to normalcy.

So, is Thor High 1-A now????

Fret not, there is explanation: From a glance, this talk about The Power of Thor™ may sound like the usual shlock that wouldn't be out of place in a battle shounen, but, there is actual precedent for it, more specifically because several storylines, both older and recent, make it clear that Thor is... special, to say the least.

In Avengers 1,000,000 B.C, for instance, Thor's cries as a baby produced storms that shook all of Yggdrasil. Elsewhere, I called this feat an outlier, and that wasn't far wrong. However, a more accurate assessment would be that it was misapplied: It doesn't apply to Thor as he normally is, but rather to the latent inner power that, in rare occcasions, comes out when he needs it, which the story actively emphasizes when it talks about Thor's incoming birth. For instance, here, it's stated that Thor's strength is such that he may destroy the world even before he is born.

This inner power, elsewhere, is referred to as Thor's life-force, his very essence, which is also the source of the God Blast, and we already know that the God Blast consistently allows Thor to harm cosmic entities that are otherwise way above his paygrade. In fact, as that scene shows, Thor's life-force is (Or at least was) actually too much for even Mjolnir to handle, and the thing actually shatters from the strain of channeling it against Exitar. In Thor's current profile, we even acknowledge the scene where a God Blast takes out Zelia, who had stolen the Odinforce at the time.

For another demonstration of this: In Thor Corps #3, Demonstaff uses his power to break down the barrier between realities from the void between them, and does so to the extent that Eternity himself is mortally wounded and the very distinction between time and space starts to fall apart. In the next issue, when the damage finally reaches its critical point and the dimensions are about to collapse on each other, four God Blasts are enough to keep reality's walls steady, though only temporarily.

And let's not forget that it's the God Blast that makes the Black Winter bleed during Cates' run of Thor.

So Thor's inner essence is indeed consistently written as something that, when channeled, puts him up to par with cosmic things. In fact, Astonishing Thor #3 has Thor himself muse that, though his physical form is bound by 3-dimensional space, his inner divinity is not. It in fact transcends dimensions, again hammering in home that Thor's inner power and potential go vastly beyond his regular state of existence.

So, in summary: Thor, even in his base state, should have an "up to High 1-A" high-end, for when he is fully tapping into his life-essence.

Also, one more thing: Currently the following is part of Thor's 3-C justification:

By amplifying his power by just two times, he was able to destroy the material of which the armors of the Celestials are made and he was also able to destroy an avatar of Exitar. Such material can emerge unscathed from galactic explosions

So,, the "galactic explosion" in question was in fact the birth of a new Celestial. The explosion itself was just the newborn energies expanding and then contracting to take the shape of the Celestial they belong to, and as such they are itself the power of that Celestial. So right now, we are basically saying Thor scales above that explosion, which is to say that he scales above the Celestials, which is obviously absurd. And that's putting aside the fact my man is literally being rated at 3-C off of harming High 1-Bs.

So, this should be removed, and Thor should probably just scale from the universe-shaking feats, and the feats in Silver Surfer's profile.

This seems to make sense to me. It is obviously incredibly inconsistent with many writer interpretations of the character, but that is extremely characteristic for how Marvel Comics fundamentally works.

It is obviously incredibly inconsistent with many writer interpretations of the character,
It is how Thor is being currently written, at least, especially with how Al Ewing recently emphasized that, since Thor is a God, he is going to be written as fundamentally different and more grandiose than other heroes. We'll probably see more of it in Immortal Thor.

So,, the "galactic explosion" in question was in fact the birth of a new Celestial. The explosion itself was just the newborn energies expanding and then contracting to take the shape of the Celestial they belong to, and as such they are itself the power of that Celestial. So right now, we are basically saying Thor scales above that explosion, which is to say that he scales above the Celestials, which is obviously absurd. And that's putting aside the fact my man is literally being rated at 3-C off of harming High 1-Bs.

So, this should be removed, and Thor should probably just scale from the universe-shaking feats, and the feats in Silver Surfer's profile.
Just gonna mention that this justification is also present on Mjolnir's profile

I agree with pretty much everything, but I'll add a few things to back it up.

In Thor's epic collection of the Worldengine, there is good and interesting interview. And in a Question to Mark Gruenwald (Editor), he claims that characters like Thor operate on such a level that their conflicts could literally bring about the end of existence, and they are not altogether invulnerable. The way the writers work Thor, it's not as if he's an immortal being who will survive everything, but it's worth pointing out that he is specifically worked into confrontations that threaten all of existence. Of course, what i mean is Thor's physical body can be harmed in every way, although his "life-essence/divine" is powerful enough to grant his aspect a huge power.

So, whatever we call this being "Thor's true essence", "Life-essence", "godhood", "Divinity", all these things converge into one concept, which is: Any character who is a Thor has an aspect of that essence of Thor.
Hence, any feat that characters with Thor's power has, is necessarily something that comes from Thor's "divinity". Like when the effect of the power of two Thors colliding generated the same energy as the Big Bang that generated all the planes of reality. There is also this feat where post Unworthy Thor and Jane Foster merge their god-blast to drive away the phoenix force that was emanating directly from the White Hot Room.

Yo, have one question, would you consider This as another evidence for thor having a higher true form or something? Though this is from an alternative universe.
This is also a good part of the development, and is justifiable for Thor's life-essence, because all the Thors in the Multiverse are just aspects of that one essence. That's why there are many Lokis, just as there are many thor and many balders. Each one exists apart from the others, yet is conjoinded by a shared essence, like branches on a tree.

There are other things that could be added to this, but I think it's going to be big and will go a long way into part 3 on the nature of the Gods. But in essence, the divine nature, or "true form" that transcends all of Thor's physical flesh (aspects), is sufficient justification for such power. And of course, that physical body can tap into that power.

Speedrunning of giving Ant a heart attack
I think that I have tried to be very openminded and reasonable regarding most of these revisions. If I would have opposed this I would have said so.

I agree with pretty much everything, but I'll add a few things to back it up.

In Thor's epic collection of the Worldengine, there is good and interesting interview. And in a Question to Mark Gruenwald (Editor), he claims that characters like Thor operate on such a level that their conflicts could literally bring about the end of existence, and they are not altogether invulnerable. The way the writers work Thor, it's not as if he's an immortal being who will survive everything, but it's worth pointing out that he is specifically worked into confrontations that threaten all of existence. Of course, what i mean is Thor's physical body can be harmed in every way, although his "life-essence/divine" is powerful enough to grant his aspect a huge power.

So, whatever we call this being "Thor's true essence", "Life-essence", "godhood", "Divinity", all these things converge into one concept, which is: Any character who is a Thor has an aspect of that essence of Thor.
Hence, any feat that characters with Thor's power has, is necessarily something that comes from Thor's "divinity". Like when the effect of the power of two Thors colliding generated the same energy as the Big Bang that generated all the planes of reality. There is also this feat where post Unworthy Thor and Jane Foster merge their god-blast to drive away the phoenix force that was emanating directly from the White Hot Room.

This is also a good part of the development, and is justifiable for Thor's life-essence, because all the Thors in the Multiverse are just aspects of that one essence. That's why there are many Lokis, just as there are many thor and many balders. Each one exists apart from the others, yet is conjoinded by a shared essence, like branches on a tree.

There are other things that could be added to this, but I think it's going to be big and will go a long way into part 3 on the nature of the Gods. But in essence, the divine nature, or "true form" that transcends all of Thor's physical flesh (aspects), is sufficient justification for such power. And of course, that physical body can tap into that power.
This seems to make sense to me, and would neatly explain some of Thor's sheer inconsistency as a character. However, we obviously need to back it up with explicit evidence, as we cannot base it on logical speculation.

It is hard to tell, given that I have received A LOT of comments regarding Marvel and DC Comics that seem to genuinely think that I am somehow completely sweepingly unreasonable regardless of the subject relating to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back