• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Small Thor Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the changes have been applied.

I'll leave the thread open for a bit, so people can look at the profile and raise any objections they might have.

I'll leave the thread open for a bit, so people can look at the profile and raise any objections they might have.
Oh, also: Thor fixed Mjolnir in the latest Thor Annual, so, I took the liberty to remove the "Mjolnir is broken" thing from the weaknesses.

Does his statistics amplification higjlights how he can increase his strength by tapping into his life-essence? I think it only has Megingjord explanation.

High 1-A and Immeasurable speed Thor
2zmblq.jpg

Jokes aside, it's looking good, but just curious, wouldn't he have Immeasurable Lifting Strength by scaling to MYTHOS and seemingly ripping off his arm, or is that not valid LS scaling?
Oh, also: Thor fixed Mjolnir in the latest Thor Annual, so, I took the liberty to remove the "Mjolnir is broken" thing from the weaknesses.
I'm guessing this might be covered in Part 3, but would Sif stating that Mjolnir is stronger than ever affect any of its stats?

Last edited:

Should Thor's feats of shattering Yggdrasil's root and overpowering the World Engine be mentioned in his justification?

Should Thor's feats of shattering Yggdrasil's root and overpowering the World Engine be mentioned in his justification?
I remember Eficiente having problems with the latter feat but I'd rather trust Ultima's word over his on this one so I'll wait to see what he has to say about the two feats, given this was Thor's absolute maximum potential that would end up being suicide for him.

Also, MODOK will get a MYTHOS key eventually, right?

I personally wouldn't say so. M.Y.T.H.O.S as far as i know didn't show any immesurable LS feats.

Though his world engine feat should definitely scale to his true essence.

The former seems like a garden-variety outlier, from the look I had of it. Later on I'll read further into the latter feat to better determine if it should be included.
Why can't shattering Yggdrasil's root be an expression of his life essence?

I agree with pretty much everything, but I'll add a few things to back it up.

In Thor's epic collection of the Worldengine, there is good and interesting interview. And in a Question to Mark Gruenwald (Editor), he claims that characters like Thor operate on such a level that their conflicts could literally bring about the end of existence, and they are not altogether invulnerable. The way the writers work Thor, it's not as if he's an immortal being who will survive everything, but it's worth pointing out that he is specifically worked into confrontations that threaten all of existence. Of course, what i mean is Thor's physical body can be harmed in every way, although his "life-essence/divine" is powerful enough to grant his aspect a huge power.

So, whatever we call this being "Thor's true essence", "Life-essence", "godhood", "Divinity", all these things converge into one concept, which is: Any character who is a Thor has an aspect of that essence of Thor.
Hence, any feat that characters with Thor's power has, is necessarily something that comes from Thor's "divinity". Like when the effect of the power of two Thors colliding generated the same energy as the Big Bang that generated all the planes of reality. There is also this feat where post Unworthy Thor and Jane Foster merge their god-blast to drive away the phoenix force that was emanating directly from the White Hot Room.

This is also a good part of the development, and is justifiable for Thor's life-essence, because all the Thors in the Multiverse are just aspects of that one essence. That's why there are many Lokis, just as there are many thor and many balders. Each one exists apart from the others, yet is conjoinded by a shared essence, like branches on a tree.

There are other things that could be added to this, but I think it's going to be big and will go a long way into part 3 on the nature of the Gods. But in essence, the divine nature, or "true form" that transcends all of Thor's physical flesh (aspects), is sufficient justification for such power. And of course, that physical body can tap into that power.
Btw, what do you think about this, @Ultima_Reality ?

Why can't shattering Yggdrasil's root be an expression of his life essence?
Largely because the feat has so little context to it. In other instances where Thor is tapping into his inner strength, it's generally made fairly clear (Both in the M.Y.T.H.O.S battle, where he is explicitly using "the Power of Thor" after the Odinforce was robbed of him, and in Avengers 1,000,000 B.C, where he is displaying feats of strength as an unborn fetus and then as a newborn to emphasize his raw potential). This one is an offscreen thing that's mentioned in passing.

Largely because the feat has so little context to it. In other instances where Thor is tapping into his inner strength, it's generally made fairly clear (Both in the M.Y.T.H.O.S battle, where he is explicitly using "the Power of Thor" after the Odinforce was robbed of him, and in Avengers 1,000,000 B.C, where he is displaying feats of strength as an unborn fetus and then as a newborn to emphasize his raw potential). This one is an offscreen thing that's mentioned in passing.
Then can't we put something like "Shattered the root of Yggdrasil, though it's unclear if he accomplished this via his life essence"?

So Thor's inner essence is indeed consistently written as something that, when channeled, puts him up to par with cosmic things. In fact, Astonishing Thor #3 has Thor himself muse that, though his physical form is bound by 3-dimensional space, his inner divinity is not. It in fact transcends dimensions, again hammering in home that Thor's inner power and potential go vastly beyond his regular state of existence.
Minor thing, but shouldn’t Thor get Beyond-Dimensional Existence now?
Makes sense to me.

I agree with pretty much everything, but I'll add a few things to back it up.

In Thor's epic collection of the Worldengine, there is good and interesting interview. And in a Question to Mark Gruenwald (Editor), he claims that characters like Thor operate on such a level that their conflicts could literally bring about the end of existence, and they are not altogether invulnerable. The way the writers work Thor, it's not as if he's an immortal being who will survive everything, but it's worth pointing out that he is specifically worked into confrontations that threaten all of existence. Of course, what i mean is Thor's physical body can be harmed in every way, although his "life-essence/divine" is powerful enough to grant his aspect a huge power.

So, whatever we call this being "Thor's true essence", "Life-essence", "godhood", "Divinity", all these things converge into one concept, which is: Any character who is a Thor has an aspect of that essence of Thor.
Hence, any feat that characters with Thor's power has, is necessarily something that comes from Thor's "divinity". Like when the effect of the power of two Thors colliding generated the same energy as the Big Bang that generated all the planes of reality. There is also this feat where post Unworthy Thor and Jane Foster merge their god-blast to drive away the phoenix force that was emanating directly from the White Hot Room.

This is also a good part of the development, and is justifiable for Thor's life-essence, because all the Thors in the Multiverse are just aspects of that one essence. That's why there are many Lokis, just as there are many thor and many balders. Each one exists apart from the others, yet is conjoinded by a shared essence, like branches on a tree.

There are other things that could be added to this, but I think it's going to be big and will go a long way into part 3 on the nature of the Gods. But in essence, the divine nature, or "true form" that transcends all of Thor's physical flesh (aspects), is sufficient justification for such power. And of course, that physical body can tap into that power.
@Ultima_Reality

So what do we currently need to do here?

Btw, what do you think about this, @Ultima_Reality ?
It's true, yeah. Gods do, in fact, have multiverse-spanning essences. The idea is pretty much that they exist primarily as archetypes and myths woven into the collective unconscious, and their physical selves just emanate out of those essences.

@Ultima_Reality I do believe this should at least be mentioned, even if we acknowledge that it's only supporting evidence.
I suppose listing it as supporting evidence is something I wouldn't have a problem with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back