• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Question About Canonicity

If an author considers a multitude of real world religious beliefs and mythlogical beings as part of the canon of his work, to the point where he considers his own original works to be derivative of those inspirations (rather than the "main canon", so to speak), how would we treat that? Would the IRL context behind the specific myths and beliefs referenced in the work be usable? For further context, official guidebooks in the same series are heavily focused on exploring these myths in-depth, even referring to them as canonical origin stories for characters and stating that it is deriving its information from the "source material" (ie; IRL beliefs).

It depends on a lot of context. Ofc if it's public domain then it's fair game however when it comes to actual religions that are still practised, well it becomes a little muddled (for obvious reasons that don't need to be said, there's a reason IRL mythology pages were deleted). Personally I would use this as the threshold, if the author uses myths or beliefs in a similar or lesser manor to the linked verse then it should be fine (feats included). Anything "more" and that's when it might become an issue.

It depends on a lot of context. Ofc if it's public domain then it's fair game however when it comes to actual religions that are still practised, well it becomes a little muddled (for obvious reasons that don't need to be said, there's a reason IRL mythology pages were deleted). Personally I would use this as the threshold, if the author uses myths or beliefs in a similar or lesser manor to the linked verse then it should be fine (feats included). Anything "more" and that's when it might become an issue.
Not too familiar with SMT but I'll look into it when I get the chance. I can also give more context later, but the series does mostly rely on Shinto, Buddhist, and Taoist beliefs alongside belief in things like youkai.
Honestly this question is something that quite a few verses meddle with, but I agree with what Axiom said. I'm curious on which verse you're talking about though
Touhou, naturally. I can post the statements later.

Not too familiar with SMT but I'll look into it when I get the chance. I can also give more context later, but the series does mostly rely on Shinto, Buddhist, and Taoist beliefs alongside belief in things like youkai.

Touhou, naturally. I can post the statements later.
Oh okay then
Sure I'd like to see them so I can be of more help if I can.

Here are the sources. In the NHK MAG·NET interview (the english translation is in the captions), ZUN claims that his works are basically fanworks in and of themselves. When asked to elaborate, ZUN explains that he takes inspiration from a number of different sources (which he notes in other interviews to involve extensive research on specific facets of Japanese myth). In Fragment of Phantasy, a column in the official Touhou magazine focused on exploring the IRL inspirations behind Touhou characters, it's stated that the real world basis behind the Four Devas of Mount Ooe could be seen as origin stories for Kasen, Suika, and Yuugi, all of whom are characters meant to parallel the actual Four Devas. In another column, it's stated how Fragment of Phantasy is using "source material" as the basis for its existence.

There's probably some other stuff, but I haven't looked too deeply into it since I found the NHK statement literally yesterday lol

Here are the sources. In the NHK MAG·NET interview (the english translation is in the captions), ZUN claims that his works are basically fanworks in and of themselves. When asked to elaborate, ZUN explains that he takes inspiration from a number of different sources (which he notes in other interviews to involve extensive research on specific facets of Japanese myth).
Uhhhh turns out he also said this in a parody mobile game he helped develop and also considers a primary work. Hm!
my god this canonicity blog is gonna turn into such a fucking headache, fuck this stupid baka life

Bump

This is a time sensitive question because no way in hell am I digging through the entirety of the Night Parade Scroll and associated texts unless I'm 100% certain I'm allowed to.

Back