• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question About Canonicity

Imagine a new fan work in a series is created. The work in question has multiple statements from the original author, which are explicitly part of the canon. These statements tie into and make references to events written by someone else. However, that person also claims that their work is non-canon. This would contradict the author's statements, which are canon, and use the fan work's statements as a basis (eg; Toriyama collabs with a Dragon Ball fanfic writer, and ties parts of the fanfic into canon, but it is by all means still fanfiction). How do we treat this?

TL;DR: How do we treat canonical statements that reference material that is stated to be non-canon?

the part of the fanfic that the author says is canon is valid as long as it is shown/implied to be canon within the series itself. A statement alone wouldn't work in most cases but that also depends on just how in-depth the author goes on about the details of the fanfic's canonicity in their statement.

the part of the fanfic that the author says is canon is valid as long as it is shown/implied to be canon within the series itself. A statement alone wouldn't work in most cases but that also depends on just how in-depth the author goes on about the details of the fanfic's canonicity in their statement.
That's originally the route I was going, but I'm running into an issue where this also includes various game mechanics (since this IS for a game). This is a problem because all the mechanics inherently tie into one another, and you can't just use them in a vacuum.

In any case, your suggestion is more or less what I've been doing, so thanks.

Basically, imagine it like this:
-Someone develops an officially licensed, but non-canon, Dragon Ball game.
-Toriyama has official involvement with the game, with the stipulation that the parts that he writes ARE canon.
-However, Toriyama's canon statements connect to and expand upon the supposedly non-canon statements and game mechanics.

how the fuck would we index this

Bumping again because this is more relevant to me now.

My current stance is to treat the WoG stuff as primary canon and the things merely referenced by WoG as tertiary canon, but I'd still like second opinions.

I am sure it depends on the copyrights and who owns the character.

Back