• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A bunch of Real World Humans get sent into Super Mario 64

NormalHumanObtainableStars
Not too long ago, people discussed what if a bunch of practically Normal Humans ended up in Super Mario 64 and had to beat it to leave. Supposedly, the following details how feasible which Stars would be to obtain.
I wanna know our take on the idea. So let's lay down the rules:

1. Mario is nowhere to be found; Instead, 10,000 Real World humans are sent to the Lobby, outdoor areas of Peach's Castle & the unlocked areas connecting those locations. The humans can be as weak as the weakest 10-C human, to as strong as Composite Human, but arrive with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

2. All 10,000 humans have an individual life count that starts at 4, and includes a zeroth life; Any individual has to die FIVE times before they stay dead; Extra lives can be obtained in any ways Super Mario 64 allows. Losing a life other than one's last life functions just like in SM64; The victim is sent back where Mario would be sent back in the same circumstances, & restored to ideal health, but with one less lives remaining than before.

3. All the humans share a collective Star count; If anyone collects a Star, it's added to the group's total; Collecting stars functions like in SM64, & meeting an already collected star's conditions spawns a blue version of it that doesn't increase the group's total if obtained.

4. Any time someone collects a Star, anyone in the same world/stage/location as where that Star was collected can choose to stay where they are, or be sent back to Peach's Castle's Lobby.

So, for example, if Alan is stuck in Shifting Sand Land, and Bertrand collects a Star in Dry Dry Desert, Alan can choose to stay in SSL, or be sent back to the lobby of Peach's Castle. This option also occurs if a 100 coin Star is collected.

Any time Mario could choose to Exit Course & Return to Castle (Typically while standing still on solid ground.), a Human can as well.

5. The humans can interact with the world & things in it as though real world physics apply, but everything in Super Mario 64 behaves as it does in Super Mario 64. Bob-omb Battlefield's floating island still floats, even if a human stomps their foot on it, but trees & stone can be broken apart for materials, castle doors can be broken down, set on fire, etc.

6. Radiant heat & gas from lava don't occur; This is so that Lethal Lava Land & Bowser in the Fire Sea can be navigated.

7. Caps do not automatically activate on contact with a human, & can be carried indefinitely without effect, until placed on someone's head. Caps, & anything else someone is holding when exiting a world come with them when they exit, allowing materials to be taken from world to world.

8. Anything consumed/destroyed (Torches, coins, blocks, etc.) respawns. Enemies only respawn when no humans are in a world. Anything else respawns when any human(s) leave that world.

9. Everyone who wants to leave the world of Super Mario 64, are given the choice to when Bowser in the Sky is defeated. If any humans are left, he'll respawn after everyone leaves Bowser in the Sky, & the choice will be given again if he's defeated again.

So, with that lengthy set of rules in mind, could they do it? More importantly, HOW could they do it?

Could a horde of humans beat Super Mario 64?

No. From that image we could discern that it is feasibly possible to get the minimum needed stars, but after that you have to beat Bowser.

So each human gets yeeted at the end if they make it that far.

I don't think they could get the necessary stars needed to get to Bowser. The star from Footrace with Koopa the Quick for example is impossible to get unless you defeat King Bob-omb first and while other stars don't need his defeat as a prerequisite, Koopa the Quick does. Go on a Ghost Hunt can't be done unless humans magically learn how to physically interact with ghosts, and Make Wiggler squirm is also impossible since he's empowered by a Power Star and as auch too powerful for the humans to beat. Using just those 3 examples the total star count from the image drops to 69, just 1 short to prevent Bowsers endless distance spell from working. And even if the humans somehow bypass his spatial manipulation and get into Bowser in the Sky they'll have eventually fight King Koopa himself and hoo boy, R.I.P any and all humans that even dare to attempt that.

The image itself seems to suggest edits are permitted to open up those pathways. I was just working under that assumption.

Well, there is rule 5. The humans can interact with the world & things in it as though real world physics apply, but everything in Super Mario 64 behaves as it does in Super Mario 64.

Supposing this means Bowser acts like he does in Super Mario 64, is only at the level of power his SM64 feats put him at (Ignoring any cross-game scaling), couldn't he beatable?

Also, since the humans can carry and use Metal Caps, couldn't they damage Boos with that?

And a lot of the "Impossible" stars in that image can probably be achieved with some creative thinking.

Like Blast to the Lonely Pillar might be doable if they got materials for picks to climb up to the pillar.

Fall Onto the Caged Island just needs a grappling hook or chain that can hook between the bars and stay taut while someone climbs it.

I'm not sure why Frosty Slide for 8 Red Coins is impossible. Might need a parachute or such to survive the slide, but considering the teleporter near the cabin, the mountain isn't THAT bad to navigate.

Some scuba gear &/or carrying a Metal Cap might open up stars at Dire Dire Docks, & maybe at Wet Dry World, too.

So even without going through the whole image, that's another 3 to 11 Stars they might be able to grab.

Also, SM64 Boos are intangible to Mario when he faces towards them. Not so when he faces away. Who says they aren't regularly tangible to humans looking away from them like with Mario?

Bowser would still be High 4-C since he's superior to his minions wielding power stars which created all the worlds that contain suns in the game so even ignoring cross-game scaling he's still too much. Also Boos are naturally Non-Corporeal even when not being looked at since they can still freely move through and are unaffected by solid objects in the game, they just become, i dunno, extra intangible when Mario looks at them (Which kinda reminds me of how Ganon can do the same in A Link to the Past when he becomes intangible to Link who can smack around ghosts).

Well, nonetheless, a Metal Cap carried in may allow for defeating Boos, & the mansion's doors could just be broke down. Unkillable Boos would be a pain.

As for Bowser, individually, he's a threat, but he's behaving exactly as he did in SM64.

Couldn't a horde of humans gang up on him, & possibly use their collective strength to throw him to a bomb?

Nevermind the fact that if we are using Power Stars as a source of power, wouldn't that amp the humans who have collected some?

Oh yeah, it somehow skipped my mind they'd be empowered by the Power Stars as well. Since Bowsers strategies and abilities are also limited to just what he showed in SM64 they could very well pull this off.

Suppose his strategies weren't limited to SM64, then? Just his abilities & equipment?

Even when not limiting his strategies to SM64, they'll still end up being limited anyway since Bowser can't use most of his abilities or equipment. Although I guess he'll try keeping his distance more then he does in the game, trying to blast everyone with fireballs from far enough away they can't reliable grab him to toss him into his bombs.

> They'd be empowered to High 4-C too

oh

yeah actually you're right, the second one of them gets a star they could all effectively be High 4-C

Well, since there's a starting count of 10,000 humans, and we don't know many die on the journey, let's propose two scenarios:

A. Each individual only gets the Star Power of the stars that individual him or her self collected.

B. The power of all the stars they've collected is divided among all the players currently alive.

How would those go?

Mr. Bambu said:
oh

yeah actually you're right, the second one of them gets a star they could all effectively be High 4-C
That probably still wouldn't be enough as Bowser could still hold his own against Mario (Who's already High 4-C without any power stars) when he had 150 of them

Although that would still make them strong enough to obtain most of the stars guarded by Bowser's minions

True, but there are now ten thousand High 4-Cs

So if we take that stars can amp them to High 4-C

then yeah I'm fairly sure the 10,000 could take out the worlds with relative ease

Soupywolf5 said:
Mr. Bambu said:
oh

That probably still wouldn't be enough as Bowser could still hold his own against Mario (Who's already High 4-C without any power stars) when he had 150 of them
150? Base SM64 only has what, 120?

@Bambu: 10,000 4-Cs, hilarious as it is, doesn't fit with either propositio of each of the 120 stars only going to whoever collected it, or all the collected stars having their power divided among the group of 10,000.

Also, didn't Bowser (not his minions) make the starry skied realms without the Power Star's power? Did he do so without a Power Star?

If the creation feat was done without the power of a Power Star, how many stars are in the realms created? Enough to rival 10,000 10-Cs each with the power of one Power Star?

Mr. Bambu said:
True, but there are now ten thousand High 4-Cs
So if we take that stars can amp them to High 4-C

then yeah I'm fairly sure the 10,000 could take out the worlds with relative ease
How would the power stars be distributed? because either the 120 power stars get distributed evenly amongst all the humans and none of them even get the power of 1 star and Bowser slaughters them all, or they all get put into 1 person and Bowser is just fighting a much weaker Mario and once again Bowser slaughters all of them.

And at the beginning most of them would just get destroyed by any and all of Bowser's minions.

Rules in OP say they share a collective star count, if one person collects one star, the group in totality has one star.

So again, he would be fighting somewhat weaker versions of Mario, but 10k of them.

The Collective Star count rule is more meant to manage how the castle functions.

The Hallway Boo only appears at a certain star count, as do some Toads, the portal to the Wing Cap switch stage, etc.

It's for hypothetical issues like people with 0 stars needing to go through Star Doors when everyone else already has some.

As for "How much power from each Power Star does everyone get?" I'm open to answers from multiple interpretations, including 120 Stars' Power divided among the remaining humans, or each individual only getting the Star Power of personally collected stars.

Well not all of them would make it to Bowser, and if they did again that means the power of 120 stars distributed amongst 10,000 people against someone who can fight a much stronger foe who's amped by the full power of those 120 stars. And the humans wouldn't even be able to get all 120 stars. (Also composite human vs Goomba when?)

Let's see

The humans have to get one star from Bob-omb battlefield. Keep in mind that every regular enemy runs at a minimum of Peak Human speeds with enough AP to one-shot any Human. Looking at the available stars in Bob-Omb Battlefield:

Big Bob-omb on the Summit: No. This would require fighting a High 4-C.

Footrace with Koopa the Quick: Hmm. Your average Koopa apparently runs at Superhuman speeds, so not even composite human can compare, and takes a shortcut. Maybe with good enough parkour skills and shortcut abuses, the composite human can beat him to the finish, but KtQ only appears after King Bob-Omb has been defeated, and even if he appeared now, the composite human can't go safely to the top without being poked by the king.

Shoot to the Island in the Sky: I doubt any human can survive being shot dozens of metres by a large cannon. Maybe if they're creative enough, they can find a way to get over. Only problem is, they'd have to destroy the question mark block holding the star to get it, which is likely as/more durable than your typical mario brick block. I suppose they'd be able to eventually though.

Find the 8 Red Coins: This involves getting to the sky island, on top of evading numerous enemies to get the other 7. On par with or harder than the mission above.

Behind Chain Chomp's Gate: I doubt it. No human is strong enough to break normal chain, let alone a chain strong enough to keep a Chain Chomp in check. Destroying the log may be easier, but I doubt many humans would be willing to suicide rush the log to try and chip away at it, extra lives or no, since of course the chomp will one-shot them. Breaking down the bars is also harder than destroying the log. Possible, but will need a lot of fodder to achieve.

Humans Wing to the Sky: Impossible without a wing cap. Cannons would kill humans, and the humans need quite a few stars to get a wing cap (if it'd even work).

So to recap, only the athletic and peak humans will make it past the first goombas in bob-omb battlefield, and even then some would likely die. Hundreds more will be killed by the scattered enemies, water cannons and chain chomp leading up to the mountain climb. If any human tries anything other than the red coins or island in the sky stars, they'll die, and I'm not sure if they'd know to attempt the red coins star. However I feel they'd be able to use the trees, bricks and other materials to their advantage to be able to build over to the floating island, then find a way to break the block. Once they have one star, it's a lot easier from there, since they don't have to worry about random fodder killing them.

@ GyroNutz: Rule 5: "The humans can interact with the world & things in it as though real world physics apply, but everything in Super Mario 64 behaves as it does in Super Mario 64."

If you wish, you may interpret this as restricting the SM64 characters to their SM64 feats. It definitely restricts them to SM64 behaviour.

I'm pretty sure a Goomba is far enough into 9-B that Composite Human needs weapons or durability negation of some kind to defeat it, let alone the other enemies.

There are at least 2 useable teleporter pairs for the Koopa the Quick route.

There are real people who have survived being human cannonballs, & clothing at least might be fashionable into parachutes.

Chain Chomp's bars might be able to slipped through... Or they could try to get some tools & eventually go around the Chomp & try dig through the walls/ceiling where the bar is.
BobPlank
The floating island may also be reachable with some creative coordination; Along the mountain path, near the island, there's a HUGE plank that serves as a bridge.

If enough humans teamed up to try & lift it, they might be able to have it function as a bridge if it's long enough. If not, they'd have to somehow get it steady, & be able to jump across. Or MAYBE get rope & land a good lasso throw around the tree.

Also, if stars spawn for humans other than the one who met the conditions, & people can exit a course when a star is collected, whether they collect it or not, they might be able to use the cannons with a little less risk.

"I'm pretty sure a Goomba is far enough into 9-B that Composite Human needs weapons or durability negation of some kind to defeat it, let alone the other enemies."

No, the humans cannot harm someone with AP in the megajoules whatsoever. Weapons will not cut it. I don't think there's enough materials available to them for the humans to make any sort of chemical compound.

"There are at least 2 useable teleporter pairs for the Koopa the Quick route."

Ik, but they still have to race against a character who's called 'the Quick' among other superhuman speed characters, who has a shortcut of his own, while the CH has to deal with enemies that can one-shot him upon touch that are nearly as fast as him, if not faster.

"There are real people who have survived being human cannonballs, & clothing at least might be fashionable into parachutes."

Human cannonballs get shot out of specially designed cannons, at lower velocities to very well padded landing spots. The humans here have none of these luxuries.

When I said weapons, I meant like, tanks or rocket launchers or missiles. Not very feasible to obtain here, but "Composite Human vs Goomba" was brought up, wherein such a thread, such equipment might be provided.

Are we sure BoB's cannons are cannons that functions like a black powder one, as opposed to an air cannon? Heck, of the few cannons we see firing, many of them shoot water bombs.

Heck, has anyone calculated the speed Mario flies when launched from one of those cannons?

Also, for what it's worth Koopa the Quick needs about a minute & a half (By SM64's timer) to finish his race, & can be slowed down slightly by the bowling balls he has to jump over.

Imaginym said:
When I said weapons, I meant like, tanks or rocket launchers or missiles. Not very feasible to obtain here, but "Composite Human vs Goomba" was brought up, wherein such a thread, such equipment might be provided.
It was a joke

Fair. It is a bit funny as a joke nonetheless. To think, that such a challenge for Composite Human is a lowly Goomba!

The cannons shoot bob-ombs as well. I doubt we have a calculated speed for Mario's speed out of a cannon, but if it's worth anything, the bye bye cannon in the mario and luigi games shoot Mario out at sub-relavistic speeds.

The same timer has Mario moving at peak human speeds though. That's if we take the timer to be measuring in seconds; iirc it never specifies the unit.

Bye Bye Cannon isn't the same kind of cannon, going by visuals.

Yes, & Mario definitely is faster going by feats in other games. But if SM64 characters are restricted ONLY to SM64 feats?

Plus, even if Koopa the Quick CAN move faster, he's to behave as he did in SM64. If he could move faster, but chose to hold back in the original scenario, it'd seem he'd do so here, too.

Heck, if it's someone not even famous like Mario, he might be more willing to hold back & take pity, if we're assuming he held back because it was Mario.

Most fodder don't have feats in SM64. In fact, the only noteworthy feat in SM64 is Bowser's supposedly creating a realm with a starry sky. So either we make a crap ton of assumptions about each enemy's level of power, or we make the assumption that the enemies are comparable to enemies in other games.

Like I said, the in-game timer does not have a unit. There's no reason for Mario to hold back, seeing as he needs the power stars to rescue Princess Peach, and that Koopa the Quick claimed he's faster than King Bob-Omb.

Iopetrucci said:
Will they have any food? If they don't hurry they might all just starve to death.
Doesn't Peach's Castle's front yard have fish in the water? Also, Goomba is edible?

Koopas might be able to turned into turtle soup... then again, don't enemies disappear when they touch water in SM64? Well, that's what rule 5 is for, I guess.

Not sure if 1-Up Mushrooms can be cooked. Leather shoes can be boiled to edibility, right? Also, extra lives reviving people might allow for cannibalism.

Probably. But respawning resources, cannibalism and extra lives helps delay that issue a while.

Actually when Mario collects a star (New or already collected) he is restored to full health so couldn't they avoid starvation by collecting stars? (Although if they could that would still probably be inefficient)

Back