• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Jonah Hex (DC) vs Roland Deschain (The Gunslinger)

Battle of the Comic Book Gunslingers.
JonahvsRoland

Scenario: Classic Western gunfight at 25 yards. Roland will still have his thumbs for this battle.

Edit: Each character will also have melee, explosives and futuristic weapons but will still be at least 9-B.

I'm giving this one to Jonah Hex featwise. Based on their stats, Jonah Hex is much stronger, faster, tougher and smarter than Roland.

I understand that Roland Deschain is almost godlike in his marksmanship skills. But I think Jonah is much faster since he's quick enough to time bullets. I kinda see a possible ending where Roland draws and shoots first but Jonah Hex manages to dodge the bullets and ends up shooting or beating the crap out of Roland.

Jonah Hex with some large difficulty.

I'm a big fan of Westerns and I've read many Hex and Gunslingers stories more than I read superheroes. But seriously I think that Roland Deschain is one of the most overrated characters in its genre. People always say he's the greatest gunfighter ever since he "never missed" in his own series which is kind of stupid. Hell, I've never missed a ball whenever I'm shooting pool; but people never considered me to be the greatest billiard player in the world now do they?

Raging aside, I really think Jonah Hex is better. Roland has some very impressive feats like being able to shoot those Harry Potter "sneetches" who can travel at subsonic speeds, can shoot people at over 100 yards with only a pistol and can reload his revolver so fast in battle that it seems like he's using a machine gun. But his skill in pistols also results in its own disadvantages. He specializes too much in firearms. Take them away and he's got little to work on. Hex I believe is a more balanced fighter, he's not only a gunslinger but he's also capable of amazing melee fighting and explosives expertise, which Roland is not really that talented at.

Hex is faster both in combat since he's a bullet timer (the guy can slice a bullet with a sword), something that Roland again has never done. And if you think that Roland shooting those sneetches where impressive, well Hex fought and outgunned against Robotic Gunfighters with AI's prgrammed to be faster than humans (Pre-Flashpoint off course). Worse is that Roland is more of a fighter than a thinker. He always needs help from his Katet and other people to strategize, while Jonah Hex is perfectly capable of creating tactics on his own.

So yeah liek what the other guy above me said. Roland maybe quicker on the draw and is more accurate, but Jonah Hex is much faster, can dodge bullets better and he'll be able to survive Roland's initial shots to deliver his own headshot.

And for all those who's saying that Roland will win because he's got a bird, well that thing's gonna die (which it already is by the way) if it ever faces Hex [1][2]

I agree with what the other two above me said. Roland's only advantage is his accuracy, but Jonah Hex is faster in combat speed adn tougher. And since each character is given all their weapons, Jonah Hex will have his futuristic weapons, armor and explosives that will decimate Roland and his six shooters.

I think Jonah will win this one, he is far more durable, and is faster than Roland, allowing him shoot him faster than he can fire. Also, are Jonah's heavy weapons restricted? If they aren't then this is a stomp

So I just realized that this thread still hasn't been closed. Alright then...

Now that Roland has a profile that doesn't suck, I feel the need to point out some major flaws in the arguments present here. I know this match is old and has been concluded for over a year now, but hear me out.

Jonah Hex is faster in combat speed

This one is true, but not in nearly as much capacity as what people seem to believe. Now that both have ratings backed up by calcs, Jonah's best speed feat is just above 3x faster than the one Roland scales to. (Which was performed casually, btw) And hell, Roland has his own feat that was believed to be 2x faster than the one he's currently scaled to right now, although nobody wanted to make an actual calc blog of it in the end. Plus they both can react at Supersonic speeds.

Jonah Hex is tougher/more durable

No, actually. The two of them are quite even in that area. Jonah's been hit by a truck and survived non-point-blank explosions. Roland has been slammed into a wall by a vampire, fallen a few stories into a bus and had this happen to him. The last one happened mere minutes after the second one, and he was still able to get up and fight.

Jonah's weapons one-shot

Only half correct. Jonah's heavy weapons one-shot. His pistols and rifles, however, won't. Roland, when much younger than he is by the time of the novels, was shot multiple times through the chest by John Farson's forces and still got up afterwards, only staying put when one of Farson's generals hit him in the dome. I can believe that his futuristic weapons might do damage here, but there's effectively no evidence that Jonah's civil war-era firearms are going to be able to do with one shot what an army's worth of them couldn't do with several. Even then, Roland has shown that he can block bullets with his gun.

Roland isn't good with tactics

Wrong again. During the war with John Farson, he led the Affiliation's young gunslingers in the battle of Gilead against a battalion of mutants, tanks and Old Ones machines, and it was through his command that the majority of the gunslingers themselves managed to survive. (Although a lot of the other citizens got killed, sadly) We're even shown the events three days prior to the battle where he was checking and preparing every single defense Gilead had. And in Wolves of the Calla, he was the person responsible for conducting the plan which killed the semi-eponymous Wolves; LaMerk Foundry fighting machines riding robotic horses, wearing weapon-resistant armor, and carrying explosive Sneetches and atomic-cutting energy swords. Most of his fighting force (a lot of whom were civilians) survived that encounter too.

Now that all that's out of the way, here's what was really overlooked when this was first made.

Roland's guns also one-shot Jonah, several times over. Deschain's six-shooters are strong enough to obliterate skulls, blast mutant dogs in half and violently fragment steel. One shot was enough to vaporize Eldred Jonas's hand, and another shot tore the top of the Tick-Tock Man's skull off. And unlike Jonah's heavy weapons (which I don't even see him using in character right out of the gate), The Guns of Deschain are much more reliable and easy to fall back on. Carrying a load of futuristic weapons at once would actually hamper Jonah a lot more than it would help him, and when it comes to Roland, being weighed down really won't do him any favors.

If Jonah tries to do that bullet-slicing trick he did against those other guys in his comic, his sword is getting blasted to pieces in a single hit, just like what happened when Susannah used Roland's gun to obliterate Shardik's radar dish in a single shot in The Waste Lands. Hell, with the kind of force that bullet would deliver, it would wind up damaging the man behind the sword as well.

Roland firing multiple of these shots in quick succession (which is something he can be prone to do at times) would most likely be too much for Hex to deal with, especially since we've already acknowledged how ridiculously accurate Roland is. Jonah has shown the ability to weave through the shots of three men who shoot at a fairly normal speed, not one man who explicitly shoots and reloads at the speed of a machinegun and can land headshots on multiple people at that speed.

On top of all of this, the angles of combat that Jonah likes to take would be null and void against Roland. Setting up traps if he gets the chance? In The Waste Lands, Roland spotted and avoided carefully camouflaged traps like it was child's play. Stealth tactics? In The Gunslinger, Roland tracked down Jake when the latter was an absurd distance away by using nothing but his sense of smell. Surprise tomahawk throw? Roland shoots that thing out of the air, and he himself is also more than capable of pulling that same throwing manuever with his knife. Sniping from behind cover? Not happening, and Roland can do the same thing in a much less predictable fashio, as well as pinpoint Hex's location using his enhanced smell and hearing. (Which again, he has done with people before.) Melee? Even when factoring in Jonah's speed and skill, Roland isn't nearly outmatched enough for that to be decisive. He's dealt with melee attacking mutants on quite a few occasions, broken a man's wrists when the person tried to stab him with a knife, and caught a machete swing with his gun before disarming the wielder. Plus, Hex getting that close to begin with is fairly unlikely to happen for reasons I've already outlined.

I don't really blame anyone for how this match originally turned out, since Roland's profile was an absolute dumpster fire a barebones husk during the time of this thread, and Jonah had wanked speed stats as well. (lol Hypersonic+) Still, I'd like the chance to see where this will go now that I'm here to represent the guy.

And inb4 "necro/finished thread", this was concluded hastily and with somewhat faulty reasoning, and I'm not too keen on letting that remain unchallenged now. I'll be fine with having this closed later on, but I'd very much like for there to be some valid reasoning behind the conclusion first, whichever conclusion that ends up being.

Roland for reasons above, if no one minds the necromancy.

Five for Roland, six for Jonah.

This is probably the point where the matches should be removed from their profiles, but I'll wait to do that for now.

Jonah fra lolololololololololol

Just kidding, I'll take Roland for the reasons stated by the ruler of negativity.

Back