• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

7-B Brackets Round 22

wow this was

a lot of text for few votes

I am here for when I have more faith in either side for being a bit more conclusive

Im sticking with Mao as well

Also doesnt help that Gintoki attacking Mao means Mao will just have more opportunities to heal himself

Maokai gets my vote FRA. Because Maokai is best tree.

WeeklyBattles said:
Self-healing via magic =/= regen
Self-Applied Healing = Regen; regen negation doesn't tend to care about that kind of stuff.

Gintoki - 3 (Shiroyasha, LSir, Paul)

Maokai - 3 (Pixel, Weekly, Rocker)

WeeklyBattles said:
Mao's self healing comes from a source of life that can bring things back from the dead
Resistance to Regenerationn Negation isn't present on the profile.

Maokai resists deathhax, not having his Regenerationn disabled.

Ressurection is all well and good until his body lacks the ability to put itself back together or grow back lost parts.

Is it permanent? Otherwise what is stopping Mao from exclusively range spamming Gintoki if Gintoki nulls part of his regen?

@Sir the fact that Mao's ranged attacks have a range of several hundred kilometers and a lot of his attacks slow the opponent down or outright restrain them

WeeklyBattles said:
Is it permanent? Otherwise what is stopping Mao from exclusively range spamming Gintoki if Gintoki nulls part of his regen?
Gintoki having comparable range (Yes, the stat on the profile is outdated and doesn't match up with stuff in the powers/abilities for some reason), for one, and being capable of abusing it. His attacks also have AoE so they effectively deal with Maokai's bombs before they hit him and can remove whatever vines/plants Maokai places on the battlefield.

Also Gintoki having a bunch of summons that can block attacks for him while he closes the range gap.

What suggests Maokai exclusively fighting from a distance? Is that how he typically fights in the lore? If so, can you link me some examples?

I would ask Velox or Shiroyasha about the exact mechanics of Gintoki's regen negation.

Also, Gintoki would cause Maokai's enhanced senses to backfire, as if Maokai tries to detect his evil he would sense an illusion of Gintoki and would give Gintoki ample oppertunity to get some free hits in.

@Dargoo If Gintoki makes more opponents for Maokai to fight that's going to guarantee Mao switches from melee combat to staying at a range and fighting by making a storm

Honestly the only thing that needs updating is his powers/abilities list, his notable attacks and tecniques list is actually very detailed.

WeeklyBattles said:
@Dargoo If Gintoki makes more opponents for Maokai to fight that's going to guarantee Mao switches from melee combat to staying at a range and fighting by making a storm
So Maokai would initially go for melee combat, then, before Gintoki pulls out the stands?

WeeklyBattles said:
@Dargoo Looking at the gif of that aluminum can kick im amazed he's only 7-B
Yeah, lol, my first thought was that was an outlier.

Hopefully it's his EoS key and not the one here so he can stay in the brackets.

For the most part he leads with saplings and then goes for melee combat mixing physical attacks with keeping his opponent off balance with constant plant manipulation. His intangibility is useable in melee combat as well.

Ah.

I assume Gintoki would probably respond to the sapling bombs and plant manip with an AoE attack, which would likely cause Maokai to start to default on ranged abilities. Intangibility would generally help avoid the times Gintoki would go in for an attack with his regen-negating sword. ESP helps with avoiding attacks from his stands as well.

IDK if Gintoki is sufficiently evil to be detected by Maokai's powers, but if he is that would give him a free hit, as that would cause Maokai to start perceiving an illusion of him.

So far I feel like it's fairly even, but looking at it from the perceptive of a melee fight that escalates into a ranged battle, either Gintoki kills/slices apart Maokai in the beggining of the match or Maokai outlasts him in a ranged battle.

I mean, it's really more a matter of if Gintoki can defeat Maokai in close combat before they switch to a ranged battle.

I personally feel like with Gintoki's skills and abilities he can win more oft than not in that, but I wouldn't bat an eye at people who think Maokai can survive close combat and outlast him in a ranged fight.

The second Maokai sees he cant heal or regenerate he's going to play keep away as much as he can

Also does Gintoki even use his regen nulling sword 100% of the time...?

That's fair, although at that point he'd already be in range of Gintoki and I doubt Gintoki would give him opportunity to escape without taking more hits.

That would be a better question for Velox or Shiroyasha, tbh.

Mao's multiple means of speed reduction and restraining attacks would help a lot for making a gap between them

I doubt restraining attacks would work when Gintoki has AoE attacks and a sword that would prevent grown, assuming you're talking about vine stangulation.

The speed reduction would need to hit multiple targets in a pretty decent AoE given Gintoki's summons, which can keep Maokai busy while the speed reduction wears off.

You mean like Bramble Smash, the arcane shockwave he can evade? Or Twisted Advance, which would need him to get closer to Gintoki to slow him? Or the slowing saplins, which he can attack and destroy from range with air slashes so he doesn't need to be slowed without mentioning summons to help deal with them?

What also stops him from smashing throught the Throny brambles from Nature's Grasp in the same way?

Mao can restrain targets by making roots grab their legs from right below their feet, AoE wouldnt really help with that.

He can use blasts of magic as wel as create large AoE shockwaves which both slow the opponent. His saplings can also reduce speed of those caught in their blast radius.

He can also obstruct Gintoki's vision by creating a storm to encompass the battlefield.

I'm pretty sure a multi-kilometer explosion would deal with roots.

Isn't that just the force of the attack slowing down the enemy? If so, wouldn't Gintoki being in the same ballpark in terms of AP (Slighty higher, too) negate that? Saplings I don't think are a big deal here given his explosions and energy projection. That and Gintoki and his summons can just avoid the attacks.

Gintoki could legit disperse the storms given his range + AP.

@Dargoo If they were coming at him from the front and he knew they were coming yes, it would, but its literally just stuff instantly coming up from the ground at his feet, he wont see it and its going to trip him up. Even if he breaks out thats still a split second Mao gets to put distance between him and Gintoki and a moment that Gintoki is off guard.

Its his magic that slows the enemy.

How exactly...? The storm comes from Maokai himself, its not something autonomous.

I mean, he's going to be using the energy attacks to deal with a bunch of Maokai's stuff anyways; the ground getting obliterated is just a side effect of that.

I guess he could just avoid the attacks then.

Yeah, but after the storm is made there shouldn't be anything keeping Gintoki from dispersing it. Even then IDK how a storm would make a big deal in close combat.

That makes the ground even more unstable and makes Gin even more likely to be caught off guard by something coming up from the ground directly underneath him to trip him

The storm is able to send things larger than Gin flying

I strongly doubt Gintoki or his summons would be caught by surprise like something like that and not take any less than a moment to break out of it.

Gin has held his ground taking blasts from people with a higher AP than Maokai, so I doubt that.

Back