• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Yveltal's psychic immunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaltias

VS Battles
Retired
So, why Yveltal is listed as immune to psychic abilities? I get the whole thing about Dark type Pokèmon being unaffected by other Pokèmons using it, but this isn't ground for an immunity at all, just for a resistance.

Last time, when this happened with Gardevoir iirc, Cal told me that it should be resistance indeed but he forgot to change it after the revision with resistances and immunities (which makes sense to a degree considering we have loads of Pokeprofiles).

It's probably the case for Yveltal, too.

When I made the thread in regards to this, pretty much everyone reached a consensus that said powers were to be listed as Resistances rather than immunities. Not every Pokemon is Arceus (who legit no sells tons of stuff) when it comes to the scale of their resistances - which should be a given, but instead seems to be a fairly common misconception on threads, at times.

Oh, I didn't put her resistance and Yveltal's resistance on the same league.

Just mentioning that the reason why it's currently listed as immunity is probably the same.

As we are at that, how would we consider the scale of the resistance? Something like "can no-sell being mindhaxed by regular 3D pokemons?"

With "regular" I meant "regular species" not a legendary ovo

@Cal >> "It's a wave. No one said that."

I did like 50 times before saying "No sells Arceus? Yeah, that's my cue to leave".

Anime, instead of spread your wings and fly, it's spread your wings and die ovo. In all seriousness, the anime portrays it differently.

Well if it's treated as an immunity it should be fairly potent, so I could see it working even against Alakazam. I don't want to deal with "no-sell mind hax from tier 2 people" again, but at the same time I don't want to sell it too short

@Cal Linked the anime version. Stuff starts dying after it has already fired its lazors around iirc. Otherwise Pokemon would be dying right and left and everyone would be dropping dead as soon as Yveltal appears, since I think the main cast of Pokemon doesn't have any resistance to Death Inducement. EDIT: It even went into close combat with that aircraft before firing a point blank lazor at the tripulation instead of just waving its wings from afar and killing them.

Just nitpicking, anyways, and I'll drop it since it's not the point in this revision.

The anime is riddled with CIS. They simply wanted a way for the heroes to win. Him not using his Life Force Absorption is pure CIS, nothing more. Either way, just replace Immunity to High Resistance. Simple fix.

Can't blame everything on CIS - if every showing of Oblivion Wing is Yveltal firing a laser, I legit don't see the reason why I should believe that it opens its wings and everything dies. It's not potency, it's the method.

Both in the game and the animes, OW takes the form of a death beam/laser.

Give me one source saying the Pokedex Entry says the technique Oblivion Wing. Not once does it say Oblivion Wing. It's a completely different technique. Also I never said it automatically kills you. It's Life Force Draining. Not instant death. And yes I can blame it on CIS. Just like CIS is used to downgrade a Pokemon's Abilities, it can be used to justify a Pokemon's Abilities.

FateAlbane said:
@Cal Linked the anime version. Stuff starts dying after it has already fired its lazors around iirc. Otherwise Pokemon would be dying right and left and everyone would be dropping dead as soon as Yveltal appears, since I think the main cast of Pokemon doesn't have any resistance to Death Inducement.
Actually something like this did happen.

In a flashback, the Carbink of the Diamond Domain from the Diancie movie was in the same forest as Yveltal who unleashed a wave of dark energy (not Oblivion Wing) that sucked up the life of everything remotely close to it, including itself and other pokemon who ran away from it. If it wasnt for Xerneas coming in to save them Carbink would've died despite not being near or in the wave of dark energy.

And its like Dragon said. Its simple CIS and/or PIS that prevented this from happening otherwise the heroes would have no chance at stopping Yveltal and their wouldnt even be a plot. This isnt the first time this has happened too (In the D/P anime, Ash Dawn and Brock literally stand infront of the Dark Vortex Dialga and Palkia made and dont get sucked into it in the slightest so they have a chance at stopping it).

@Dragon I don't need a Pokedex Entry when both in the games and the anime (refer to movie or link above) nobody goes dying just because Yveltal opened its wings or at least not as soon as it did.

Even then, the pokedex entry clearly refers to Oblivion Wing, otherwise it doesn't get any more vague than this.

X's pokédex entry for Yveltal: When this legendary Pokémon's wings and tail feathers spread wide and glow red, it absorbs the life force of living creatures.

>> Yveltal's signature move. Yveltal's underside begins to glow and it creates a transparent red sphere of energy which it then fires off as a beam. It restores Yveltal's health by 75% of the damage dealt. Life forms that touch it die and turn to stone.

Unless once again I'm being told that it needs to be a quote word for word saying like "Yveltal spreads its wings, glows red, gathers energy, fires a beam that kills, etc, etc."

That being said, your point is reasonable. It doesn't kill instantly but might want to check on that because once again, it's being treated as "Yveltal opens its wings, everything dies, gg". And this isn't CIS when all sources for the technique portray it in the same way. I'm not bothered by the potency. The method however is, undoubtedly, firing a beam.

Well, 800 years ago Yveltal killed most of Kalos' life by spreading his wings and covering the region in darkness.

OW is not just the only Yveltal technique related to Death Manipulation.

That is not vague. It just states he opens his wings and drains life force. Simple as that. You are making up context that does not exist and you are nitpicking. And no you do not need that info. The Dex entry is very cut and dry. This also comes from the assumption that you believe this is Yveltal's only way of doing such a thing in which is false.

Clip of this drain technique. Making this pointless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfu6NK-lkGs

"The method however is, undoubtedly, firing a beam."

Yeah. Oblivion Wing has been shown that. This technique is not Oblivion Wing.

@Professor Oh, I vaguely recall that occasion now. Yeah, that one makes sense, I admit. Conceded, but Yveltal doesn't seem very likely to use that as the opener from a large distance rather than the beam.

@NeoZex First point: Flashback, we don't know how exactly it went (EDIT: Either that or my memory is failing me here, so correct me on this if I'm wrong). He might have fired beams until the shadows started spreading (this does happen in the movie). But I conceded anyways now that the Professor pointed that thing. Second point: Fair enough.

"It happened around 800 years ago. The Pokémon known as Yveltal spread its ominous wings, engulfing the lands of Kalos in darkness. At that moment, people and Pokémon throughout the land began to fall one by one. Yveltal let out a piercing cry and took to the sky, vanishing to an unknown location. Stories say that when it nears the end of its thousand-year life span, Yveltal absorbs the life force of the living things around it in order to charge its own energy. Another tale talks of the appearance of just such a terrifying Pokémon. Back 3,000 years ago, the Kalos region was engulfed in a terrible war. According to the stories, a Pokémon appeared and stole the life force of countless living beings. Some people suspect the Pokémon that appeared was Yveltal, but there's no way to know. Maybe they're just using a Legendary Pokémon as a metaphor for war and pestilence. In the tales, after Yveltal finished storing the energy it had absorbed, it transformed into a kind of cocoon, remaining in hiding deep in the mountains. According to old tales, as I say. Tales and stories."

We automatically assume a Pokemon will use any skill they have to win due to how unpredictable a Pokemon is.

Can we all calm down a little bit? It's just a CRT. Thank you.

Also, we haven't really decided how to define the resistance (meaning, from what it should scale)

Should simply scale to Mind Manipulation of High 6-A being. Let's use Mega Mewtwo who fought Zygarde as a basis then.

Mind Manipulation doesn't relate to AP. But as it's a fairly powerful legendary, I can see it scaling from Mega Mewtwo.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
We automatically assume a Pokemon will use any skill they have to win due to how unpredictable a Pokemon is.
Wait really?

Not that I have a problem with it but I tried this in earlier threads and it didnt go down like this.... :(

Dragonmasterxyz said:
No, that's called assuming the best 100% surefire hypothetical scenario for a character.

It's the same as going "In-Character Goku opens with IT Kamehameha", "Reinhard always opens with Longinuslanze Testament", "CCC Gil will swing full power EA first thing in the match" and so on. Characters don't always magically chose the best option from the get-go as if they knew how the entire battle would go unless they have some ability to predict what's coming.

If it's a specific Pokemon character then we don't. See M08 Lucario when compared to a Composite Lucario.

I hate making comparisons and I even made a thread for this. But....

We do the same for Cloud

We do the same for Digimon

We do the same for Link

We do the same for Megaman characters.

Two-wrongs don't make a right, but then the issue is whether it is in fact a wrong. See battles involving said characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back