• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

YouTube Profiles Quality Control Discussion (Staff Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we cannot allow any incoherent figment from any YouTube video with a few dozen views.

Size of audience kinda is. Not just for youtube, every verse needs at least some level notoriety to be added, even if it isn't the most popular thing ever.

@Ant

My point isn't that some random video with 3 views should be allowed. Quite the opposite actually. I'm saying something having a large audience does not automatically make it acceptable just because it tells some "story" and passes for legitimacy by the subjective standards being used. The line between the three wikis is being blurred.

@Andy

Size of audience is irrelevant. You're making my point. Having a small audience doesn't disqualify something from being allowed. For example, Senshinkan and the Silverio series are obscure works though they have a sizeable audience in their home country (Japan).

Something have a large audience doesn't make it acceptable either. Nazo Unleashed has over 30 million views on Youtube, doesn't mean it's allowed because it's a fan work.

I'm not saying "BAN ALL YOUTUBE", but the arguments being used here are making me suggest some (even if possibly only a few of these youtube verses) set a bad example for what is allowed.

Did anyone use high popularity as a reason for inclusion tho? People may have brought up popularity but that's because lack of it would a cause for rejection, I don't think it's because they think high popularity alone supports profiles

@Sera it's not irrelevant, the size just has to be really small for it to actually keep the work from being featured. I'm of course not saying obscurity alone would disqualify profiles

A Youtube series that has to be popular just to be allowed, is still unacceptable. We don't use popularity at such a degree to determine the validity of any other verse. We hosted an untranslated obscure Russian novel verse here for maybe around two years despite no one knowing a lick about it other than a very small group of people. We had the Masadaverse here since 2016 and most of those works are obscure (only truly popular outside of in Japan by vs debaters only) until Dies Irae's localization and Otaku Dai Kun's video on its lore.

Again, this is not about the platform (Youtube) but the content posted there in relation to said platform being used to imply credibility.

Obviously Rock Hard Gladiators is okay. Nobody questioned it but in stating it anyway since it did originate from YT (well...kinda).

That said, Sera is completely right. We need to draw a line somewhere. We gotta draw a line in the sand. We gotta make a statement. We gotta look inside ourselves and ask "what am I willing to put up with today?"

I didn't say you did, nor am I saying that or the opposite. I'm saying it's irrelevant regardless. My point is "notable works of fiction" is not hard to define. The content matters, and the content is what needs quality control. This means that this isn't even a Youtube issue. There's Indige games and online games with the same problem and I'm sure out of 21000 pages we have some nonsense that went under the radar here. Someone thought "this has a story and is known by a lot of people so it belongs on VBW!" and it's all the result of a poorly defined rule.

Basically, this here (Youtube profile quality control) shouldn't be the discussion as I mentioned Everlasting said said on the previous thread.

I honestly agree with that. To me at least it feels like people treat youtube as a completely different thing from what we used to deal with in the past. But at the end of the day, isn't it just self published content? Like multiple books, internet stories, indie games etc?

@Andy

Yes, that's basically what I'm saying. It's the rule itself that probably needs more tweaking. Anyway I have to go to bed, doc's orders. No more late night stands for this debater :/

HeadlessKramerGeoff777 said:
Most internet stories, aside from SCP aren't really allowed though iirc.
That is true. Creepypasta isn't allowed on here even if it has a story, continuity, plot etc. What's different about Jeff The Killer Saga? Should probably be removed from the site.

Things like Balgar and Small Girl and things that have actually gotten shows or aren't just shorts and have been unceremoniously absorbed into this conglomerate should be fine.

Sock and Mephistopheles (Welcome to Hell) are also perfectly fine as they come from a short as well and have an actual fictional universe set in, with arguably more lore than some things here.

Thats all I have to say. Just protecting my stuff here

everyone's protecting their stuff here, this thread is becoming the equivalent of a mob storming a bank to ensure their cash is safe

Okay, why don't we do this in a more orderly way: Let's go down the list and make decisions about the profiles. As such, we should start with The Nostalgia Critic. So, opinions on this one, and not other random youtube files?

As ones are gone through on the list, I will edit the OP accordingly. Bolded files are accepted, strikethrough ones are not, and unformatted ones we just haven't gotten to.

Nostalgia Critic should be fine. Actual story, continuity and all that good jazz. I don't personally see a problem with it.

I agree with Sera's points of view. It's less about popularity or the quality of their story, but rather the distinction between original published works, fan made works, and throw away memes. Super Mario Bros Z does have a continuity, but it is a fan made parody that happens to mix Mario and Sonic characters with a DBZ style narrative. Thus, it qualifies for FC/OC wiki and not here. The various Roosterteeth original series are definitely allowed here given that it qualifies just as much of a published work as really any of the mainstream profiles here. That being said, it doesn't have to be mainstream to be here, just like some super obscure cult classic books and video games are allowed here as it's still a published work.

I will say that Channel Awesome and Cinemassacre do qualify as notable publishers similar to Roosterteeth, and it is for those reasons that they're fine. There's also the fact that AVGN has both a feature film, and a game series; which are back up stuff to note about being a published work; but not saying those details alone are requirements. It's just the point is the three different wikis are designed for the three main categories of works.

Yo can we not get off topic again, thread was more for saying what files specifically were and were not allowed as opposed to arguing over standards like we did the past several threads

Seems like Nostalgia Critic accepted, so on to the next one: Anthony Padilla

I disagree with allowing Smosh files myself. They don't have some sort of unified continuity to my knowledge, and the files attempt to tie together a bunch of skits and assume that any of these things are just constant capabilities.

I heard their Food Fight series have continuity as well as their movies. Only those should be used if that's the case.

I'm not really much of a fan of keeping Smosh outside of Food Fight.

Food fight is consistent and acknowledged across the series. They also have acknowledged their own deaths and bring up they just come back from death.

Sorry, I know this is a staff only thread now, but I just find it funny how, because Roachman never put The Beard, The Sweeping Ma, or Resident Enis on his thread list (Which I told him when I made them), they're not here either.

I have, however, already talked to Sir Oven about why they should stay.

So is the conclusion to go with food fight only, or is there opposition to this?

Food battle is where most their feats come from. With the acception of a few other videos which did acknowledge Food battle. And the movie. It would just remove a couple of abilities like Anthony getting laser vision from an older video.

Let's go in order and not jump to tobuscus. The Nameless One (CalebCity) is next. Idk this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back