• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Yet another Medaka Box CRT (*sigh*)

Eh. The series itself is brilliant in terms of multifaceted intelligent analysis of psychology, plot conveniences, narrative structures, and cramming hundreds of concepts and ideas into a very limited space. I am still digesting some of it and discovering new angles years after finishing.

That said, it isn't particularly enjoyable as a regular story, which is part of the intended point.

Let's agree to disagree. To me it's overrated garbage that might have worked better as **** with writing that is from abysmall to terrible

Well, I discovered layers upon layers of subtext in a manner that I have not encountered anywhere else, with the possible exception of Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comicbooks. I think that it was extremely innovative and intelligent, but it was more a nonstop analysis than an actual story.

Again, to each their own.

Monogatari is far superior in terms of writing and characters. MB felt almost preachy and as unsubtle as Fairy Tail's friendship speeches

Well, I saw it more as a clinical dissection once you start to explore all of the symbolism, but to each his own.

Antvasima

Eh. The series itself is brilliant in terms of multifaceted intelligent analysis of psychology

For example? I'm really interested because I didn't see MB as a ground for psychological analysis.

I perceived it as analysing what different common fictional archetypes truly represented, such as Kumagawa's "last boss"-style self-loathing nihilism equivalent to being a pretty pathetic kind of person in the real world, and having another psychological counterpoint in Najimi, who was the suppressed overachieving god-complex ideal that was impossible for him to live up to, and as such made him feel that everything was pointless, so he had to allegorically tear her face off (expose her/remove her personal dignity) and embrace a deranged version of far left extremism to compensate, but he did not have enough self-awareness to realise that.

They are not so much different characters as different aspects of the same person.

Thank you for the compliment.

Can you give a TLDR reminder of what we still need to do here?

Anyway, part of the reason for why I am still fascinated by Medaka Box is a very strange case of synchronicity.

A few years earlier I had processed a lot of social trends that I had noticed into a story that I wrote, and then along came Medaka Box, which processed much the same subjects, but in a way that almost read like a specifically tailored counter-argument that said:

"No, you dumbass. You misunderstood or distorted everything. Here is how things really work."

It was one of the strangest experiences that I can remember.

I think what we need is just a bit more input. Everyone seems to agree with points 3 to 11, but the only staff member who actually gave their opinion is you, so I'm not sure if we can add everything already. I personally think it should be fine since everything is pretty self-explanatory but I'm not the one who gets to decide.

People seem to disagree with point 2, although it's probably the kind of thing that should be decided by the staff (since banning something is more about rules than revisions), and I doubt any othe rstaff member is interested, so I won't insist.

About point 1 we could just wait and hope that someone calculates the feats I posted, but if none does in a few weeks or months putting everyone as Unknown would be the best option imho (and it's not like it would affect anything, since the characters are hax fighters anyway).

Well, I am personally fine with points 3 to 11, and think that point 2 seems to make sense. You can apply them if you wish.

Regarding point 1, you can ask the calc group members, Kaltias and ShieldsPlus for help with calculating the feats via their message walls. You can tell them that I would appreciate the help.

Antvasima said:
Well, I am personally fine with points 3 to 11, and think that point 2 seems to make sense. You can apply them if you wish.
Regarding point 1, you can ask the calc group members, Kaltias and ShieldsPlus for help with calculating the feats via their message walls. You can tell them that I would appreciate the help.
Very well. The characters that need revisions are:

• Medaka Kurokami
  • Kamome Tsurubami
  • Namanie Nienami
  • Joutou Kotobuki
  • Kakegae Yuzuriha
  • Zenkichi Hitoyoshi
  • Iihiko Shishime
  • Kuudou Hinokage

If you're fine with it I also think we should give Medaka " Resistance to Empathic Manipulation (Can use Ice Fire to keep her head cool to prevent suffering from mental damage) and hot and cold temperatures (By controlling her own body temperature via Ice Fire)" since Naze has this already and Medaka copied Ice Fire too.

Okay. I suppose that seems to make sense.

I will unlock the profiles. Tell me here when you are done.

I believe I'm done. I also created a page for Oudo Miyakonojou and scaled him to the current stats for other characters, so we should remember to change his tier as well if the revision gives different results. I think you can close the profiles now.

test

alright, so i just did a bunch of edits that didn't go through because of something about a data center. will i need to redo those or will they go through in time?

I locked the pages, but we still need better feat calculations. Have you politely asked the calc group via their message walls?

@Ant: I asked most of them few weeks ago and told them that you are the one who suggested doing so.

@Iapitus: Thanks for the help, I've been wanting to make it for a while. I considered giving him a second key for Koga's skills, but I decided not to since he only used them for a short time (and iirc the only difference would be Regenerationn and higher AP). You're free to add it though.

Did you link to the images for the feats? You could try the calc group members that you have not asked yet in any case.

I linked them this thread telling them that they can find the feats here, and I posted them in the calc request group.

Personally, I expected this thread to last one to two weeks at most but it's been a month and the first point is still unresolved. It may be hypocrital from me, since I'm the one who made this thread, but I'm starting to lose my will to keep bumping and asking people around when nobody seems to care. We already performed most of the revisions and I'm satisfied with that. Since the physical tier is probably not that important (most characters are hax fighters), if it isn't too much trouble, I would rather just wait until someone decides to give it a look or someone else brings it up.

I checked in the first post. This feat should probably be fairly easy to calculate, but you should preferably find scans (rather han a Youtube video) for the other one, as that will make it easier to scale.

After that is done, I can ask some calc group members for help.

This is the chapter, the feat happens at the end (last 4 pages), but unfortunately I don't think there's anything to calculate.

About the other feat, here you can also find a scan showing the full size of the building he destroyed, if it helps. The problem is that this feat only scales to Iihiko and possibly Medaka so, unless the other feat is somehow usable, everyone else would be downgraded to Unknown anyway.

We can calculate what it would take to move the portion of the school. We have seen the maps of it, and know where the fight took place, but this also mean we can calculate it. She says she is moving several wings of the school as well

Okay. I will ask some calc group members for help.

I have added several powers to Oudo's powers, such as the ones from the Unknown Shiranui arc and those that he got from Koga. I am going to add a picture of him from the shiraui arc, and maybe another picture of him instead of just the one from the medaka wiki

Unfortunately this is the closest thing I could find to a map, and it comes from the anime. I tried looking for scans showing the size of the building (which should be the one below the tower), but as expected it's different every time.

@ArbitraryNumbers & Spino

Thank you for helping out.

iirc in Medaka's fight with that one cloning Style User, you get a pretty big shot of the hospital in the back ground when she is showing off all her clones. maybe that can be pixal scaled

Kami95 said:
Unfortunately this is the closest thing I could find to a map, and it comes from the anime. I tried looking for scans showing the size of the building (which should be the one below the tower), but as expected it's different every time.
We could find a panel or screenshot of a character walking on the school paths, use those to figure out the path's widths, and then pixelscale it to the big picture, maybe

The hospital can possibly be scaled from the pic I posted earlier, although I'm not sure if it's possible.

I have no idea about the school. The problem is that we know it has at least 5 floors, but the length is vastly differenteverytime it's shown. I posted the anime feat hoping that it was fine to use it since the manga version is unclear, but if it's not the case I don't think there's anything that can be done about it.

Maybe an average size would be appropriate.

Back