• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
to start off merlin has a over 2x AP and dura advantage (although with the powers these two have that doesnt really matter much.), the things that really have me leaning twoards merlin are her: magic negation, BFR, time manip, TK and teleportation. the problem is the word devils: regen, type 6 immortality, and the fact that he only has to speak to use his power.

He can create matter so she can't neg that. He also has demon magic which is highly resistant to magic or can even absorb it

I got to vote Merlin here.

While the Word Devil is a terrfying force, Merlin has just shown so much more versatilty and genuine ingenuity than the Word Devil that it'd be hard to argue that he can even touch with speed equalized.

Most of his magic that directly affects people will be ineffecitve while most that relies on creating and throwing shit at Merlin will just be blocked or cancled. Even without infinity, Merlin just has so much more to work with that she can do the Word Devil like he does the rest of the cast in Black Clover.

His only real saving grace is that he's one of the weirdest demons that Merlin has ever lied eyes on and that his magical ablity is something that's never be seen by her. This gives him his only real chance of battling and winning against her, but I consider it too slim to actual say this battle is anywhere close in his favor.

Merlin mid-difficulty.

Sooo...

0/Devil's will possibly be upgraded

1/Any reason why it would be ineffective to his word magic? And the devil is not less versatile than Merlin

2/Again, she can only neg magic. Devil's attacks are either matter or magic from the overworld which has shown shown to be highly resistant if not immune to Magic based attacks.

Perfect Cube and Teleportation allows merlin to either outmaneuver or block his physical constructs, and the reason I say most of his magic that relies on directly affecting users is ineffecitve is because; teleporting merlin in front of him to directly attack is just countered by teleporting away once more, Vacuum wall suffers much the same, bind can be teleported out of or absolute cancled and all the other magic he word devil uses relies on creating things and then having them strike his opponent. This is also where perfect cube and teleportation come in, since one can just stop all the attacks while the other gets her out of them. The resaon I say merlin is more versatile is mainly because we've seen her use a lot larger array of attacks and techniques then we have with the word Devil. Not only that but she can very specfically get around a lot of his defenses with Transparency and Untraceable.

Ah Gou said:
Also Merlin is a higher tier than island once she casts infinity, on top of having perfect cube that he can't break
Zagred has power nullification with Iron Spear, so Perfect Cube is not going to do much. And attack potency and durability are virtually insignificant in this battle.

Duedate8898 said:
Perfect Cube and Teleportation allows merlin to either outmaneuver or block his physical constructs, and the reason I say most of his magic that relies on directly affecting users is ineffecitve is because; teleporting merlin in front of him to directly attack is just countered by teleporting away once more, Vacuum wall suffers much the same, bind can be teleported out of or absolute cancled and all the other magic he word devil uses relies on creating things and then having them strike his opponent. This is also where perfect cube and teleportation come in, since one can just stop all the attacks while the other gets her out of them. The resaon I say merlin is more versatile is mainly because we've seen her use a lot larger array of attacks and techniques then we have with the word Devil. Not only that but she can very specfically get around a lot of his defenses with Transparency and Untraceable.
What I said above: Zagred negates magic, and thus, negates Perfect Cube. Teleportation does not do much, since Zagred can also do the same thing. Also, no, Zagred does not rely entirely on creation magic, that is false, and we saw in the battle. If Zagred uses a paralysis spell, which is well within the confines of his magic, then he can do some serious damage afterwards.

Y'all are downplaying Zagred (kotodama devil) way too much and wanking Merlin. And it seems to me as though you all don't actually know too much about Zagred's battle tactics, because

- saying his only way of hurting opponents is using creation magic is false. See pages 9 and 10 of https://ww5.readblackclover.com/chapter/black-clover-chapter-202/

- You all don't seem to acknowledge that Zagred also has power nullification, and in more than one way. He says "Vanish", and your spell vanishes. Simple as that. It works much like Absolute Cancel, but better. See page 4 of https://ww5.readblackclover.com/chapter/black-clover-chapter-197/ so, Perfect Cube isn't going to protect Merlin from anything at all.

- Zagred can copy your magic via speech. So, basically anything that is magic that Merlin does, Zagred can copy.

- Hence, teleportation doesn't win her the battle because he can simply return via kotodama magic. BFR is not a winning condition for Merlin.

- Merlin has TK, so does Zagred, in the very same chapter link I gave above, it shows Zagred performing telekinesis.

- Merlin cannot use time stop because it is well-known that this this spell requires 10 minutes of preparation. We know this because 1) It's literally stated on her profile, like, cmon guys, 2) she said his during the final battle vs Chandler, Zeldris, and other demon whose name I forgot.

- Infinity does not make her spells unbeatable. The only thing Infinity does is make the last forever provided they are not countered.

- BFR is not 100% spammable, since she has actively stated that she has a lag of 10 seconds on it. See page 5 of https://w1.readnanatsutaizai.net/manga/nanatsu-no-taizai-chapter-135/. He can come back within that time and and attack while the 10 seconds pass by. As such, this is further evidence that BFR is not a battle ending condition for either of them.

So with that in mind, I have to strongly disagree with Merlin having more versatility, given that Zagred can do anything she can do. Transparency and Untraceable are not going to do much either.

Merlin doesn't win this battle. This is Incon at best.

Bob8999 said:
to start off merlin has a over 2x AP and dura advantage (although with the powers these two have that doesnt really matter much.), the things that really have me leaning twoards merlin are her: magic negation, BFR, time manip, TK and teleportation. the problem is the word devils: regen, type 6 immortality, and the fact that he only has to speak to use his power.
She doesn't have the AP or durability advantage, she only reaches Small Country Level with Infinity, but she is otherwise Island Level, whereas Zagred is consistently Small Country Level.

Also, funnily enough, Zagred also has magic negation, BFR, TK, and teleportation.

MrDrProfessorPatricio said:
Merlin can win by BFR (spammable) with a thought and one of her leading moves but she also sometimes starts with her ray
No, that is false, she has a 10 second lag between uses of teleportation.

Vanish hard counters the ray.

Milly Rocking Bandit said:
Merlin BFRs with a thought.
That's not a winning condition, since he can always return to the battlefield via kotodama magic. There isn't anything he can't do with kotodama magic other than affect forbidden or demonic magic and cast death wishes.

@MindControl, there's no point of continuing this thread because they're no longer in the same tier

1997KD said:
It's still magic, and he didn't have resistant to powernull
He doesn't need to have reistance to power nullification, since he himself also has power nullification. And as Kotodama allows him to even copy other people's magics or outright overrule it, he can counter Magic Seal.

Back