• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
So Witcherverse has some scaling issues between games and the books, for example Vilgefortz scaling to Geralt's game feats though he didn't appear in games (he's mentioned though) and all the games are made on Andrzej Sapkowski's licence and here's his opinio about this. I believe we should connect game and book scaling because obviously book feats aren't calcable in any way (the games are literally just spin-off's of books and everything that happened in books happened also in the game). What do you guys think?

Bobsican's options:

1: Adjust all scaling to a sort-of composite (Aka, give priority to books being canon to the games), then add notes/keys as needed: 4 people agree

2: Separate each profile in 2 (games, books), then develop separate pages depending on the case (Aka, give priority to the books): 0 people agree

I think that they should scale. Its also fairly consistent as Vilgefortz turned Regis to mush using a fire attack. Even if we ignore the dura of game Regis, turning a human (which Regis normally is like) into mush is still a 9-A feat last I checked. Also, Ermion (as Mousesack) features in the books and it is noted that druids can manipulate the weather which is in the same ball park as the game mages' tier 7 feats.

Yeah I agree it should stay as it is, also because of sheer fact that book feats aren't calcable and books are entirely connected to games.

I mean, the idea was that the games don't scale to the books from the start, so you can remove anything where that happens if need be.

Dargoo Faust said:
I mean, the idea was that the games don't scale to the books from the start, so you can remove anything where that happens if need be.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Dargoo Faust said:
We're going to have to remove at least one profile entirely then, because this came up due to Vilgefortz being scaled to game statistics even though he never even appears in the games.

If someone has read the books and knows enough about them to make pages based on the material, then by that point we could just alter his statistics so that they're scaled to book showings instead of the games. But right now, the profile is basically just assuming that novel Vilgefortz belongs to the same canon as video game Geralt.

On a tangentially related note, I don't think book feats are impossible to calc at all if there're enough details surrounding them. We've done so in the past quite a few times.

Can't we just make notes on their profiles? Because the games are entirely spin-offs made by other guys and everything that happened in books also happened in games, and Vilgefortz, as well as all other book characters (such as for example Bonhart) also were mentioned in games.

I still think that since the games are fully related and connected to books we should just make every book character a video game version with their book abilities, and just add a note about that

>On a tangentially related note, I don't think book feats are impossible to calc at all if there're enough details surrounding them.

I don't remember Sapkowski giving so much details, but I'll maybe re-read Lady of the Lake and Time of Contempt (english names suck, really)

It isn't that book feats are not incalculable, it is that they portray Geralt weaker than the game adaption; Vilgefortz should just get scaled to game sorcerers and sorceresses. Some obvious examples:

Book Geralt had his thigh bit by a nekker, and he collapsed unconscious shortly after from blood loss; he ended up being bedridden for days even after he used potions (one of them temporarily put him in a near-death state, and he poured the other on his wound) and had magical healing from Visenna (which strained her enough that she bled from her nose). Game Geralt would be fine within the hour after drinking a Swallow potion, just like he was after he got drained by the Unseen Eldar.

Book Geralt didn't display a large variety of potions along with having no bombs or crossbows. Not to mention that the signs work differently with every game:

• Book Aard: The most used for combat, has a decent range and he can also hold it continuously a few seconds after using it; its force is compared to being hit with a mallet and walking against fierce wind (was adapted in the intro of the first game). Can use it kick up a sand cloud to block vision of bowmen, and had no effect on a Djinn.
  • Book Igni: Was seen used for utility as a burning touch and never for combat. Used to burn leather straps binding his arms, and while his hands was bound behind his back used it to burn ropes restraining Yennefer's legs (accidentally charring Yennefer's leg but she could still use it with pain), and he used it to solder a leaky cooking pot.
  • Book Quen: Creates an invisible oval shield in front of him as long as he holds the sign. It pushed aside stones thrown by a crowd, and caused a charging Bruxa in bat form to divert attack. He might have used it to block a Bruxa's scream (the narration doesn't mention the name of the sign, so it is possible he used Heliotrop) but the attack broke through and Geralt fell to one knee and almost passed out.
  • Book Heliotrop: Blocks a single attack. After being sent flying a Bruxa's scream he used it before hitting the wall to cushion the impact and still almost passed out. Used it to block Yennefer's spell and was sent flying.
  • Book Axii: Used it to hypnotize three guards to stop threatening to kill Geralt and respectfully take him to their boss. Tried to use it on Renfri but she laughed it off and said that it doesn't affect her (might be because of her will power, or because the rumors that she is magically cursed are true). Never used in combat, and mostly used it to calm Roach. Geralt has a sign called Somne that causes sleep.
Book Geralt would get murdered if he fought mages head on, but Game Geralt can challenge top-tier mages to a fight and win.

Keeping the page scaled from the games seems arbitrary, and I don't think the fact that it's harder to evaluate feats in a book is relevant if we strive for accuracy. In term of power levels, Geralt from the books is vastly different (as seen above) and we shouldn't assume stats for a character that doesn't appear in the games, even if he exists in this canon too.

I mean, there's a solid argument to say the books are canon to the games but not vice versa, although I'd need some kind of direct confirmation from the devs to take a definitive stance on that.

Yes, I'm not saying the games hold any influence on the books.

I'm saying the events that took place in the books likely took place off-screen in the games.

So basically one thing is canon to another, but not the other way around.

Okay, as it seems here A is canon to B, but B is not canon to A, what is left to do is simple, depending on what is wanted:

1: Adjust all scaling to a sort-of composite (Aka, give priority to books being canon to the games), then add notes/keys as needed.

2: Separate each profile in 2 (games, books), then develop separate pages depending on the case (Aka, give priority to the books).

If you ask me, option 1 seems better overal.

I am for a composite between the games and books - which is essentially what the Witcher profiles are right now. I don't see the point behind a book key, since only Geralt would be affected, and this would end up making his powers/abilities section convoluted.

Convoluted? Just add tabbers, that makes organizing a lot of stuff more easy to do in the long run.

After all, they can be applied to Powers and Abilities sections too.

Just creating a separate profile is an option too.

Though, Game Geralt profile already has many book abilities. Like his Low-Mid regen that was only shown in the books.

As option 1 gives priority of the books being canon to the games, Geralt's page may need to be renamed to just "Geralt of Rivia" as it only covering the games would no longer be relevant (It already covers the books in a way, so just organizing a bit the stuff could do it), especially if the books variation is going to be in the same profile.

It depends on if the book variation is going to be in the same profile, in which case the "Video Games" part would get misleading.

If it's going to be in another profile, yeah, just making another profile is needed.

Then a note on the verse page regarding the whole thing about how the canon is treated here.

IMO Note is better than making two profiles. Video Games Geralt is kinda composite. Nobody is going to use Book Geralt in a match anyway.

You would be surprised.

Anyways, profiles aren't meant for matches but for indexing, as you should know if you didn't already, look at Barney the Dinosaur.

The note would still remove the need of the "Video Games" part on the name as it would be redundant.

Back