• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Potential additions to Geralt of Rivia

An interesting excerpt from The Last Wish:
His eyes lit up with an ominous glow, a hoarse roar tore through his clenched teeth. The striga backed away, pushed by the power of concentrated hatred, anger and violence which emanated from the attacking man and struck her in waves, penetrating her mind and body. Terrified and pained by feelings unknown to her she let out a thin, shaking squeak, turned on the spot and ran off in a desperate, crazy escape down the dark tangle of the palace's corridor.
Geralt stood quivering in the middle of the hall. Alone. It had taken a long time, he thought, before this dance on the edge of an abyss, this mad, macabre ballet of fight, had achieved the desired effect, allowed him to physically become one with his opponent, to reach the underlayers of concentrated will which permeated the striga. The evil, twisted will from which the striga was born. The witcher shivered at the memory of taking on that evil to redirect it, as if in a mirror, against the monster. Never before had he come across such a concentration of hatred and murderous frenzy, not even from basilisks, who enjoyed a ferocious reputation for it.
And here's Geralt's recollection of the fight from Curse of Crows for more info:
witcher2.jpg

Not sure how to categorize this. Limited Emotion Manipulation? Limited Fear Manipulation?

An excerpt from Time of Contempt:
‘A single horse,’ the Witcher interrupted, picking his sword up from the bench. ‘A single, real horse. The rest are the spectres of the Hunt... Damn, it can’t be ... in the summer?’

[...]

Behind the horse came something vague, an irregular cloud, a whirl, a phantom, woven from the gloom and glow. Something that caused panicky fear and a revolting, gut-wrenching dread.
Seeing as Geralt has no issues facing the specters of the Hunt in the first Witcher game, could this count as Resistance to Fear Manipulation?

Last edited:
From reading a few sources, this seems to be a type of sign used by witchers which utilizes Telempathy (Magic that manipulates emotions). It redirects emotions such as hatred and rage back at the opponent. This weirdly enough only is ever mentioned in this instance and that comic you've posted but it also seems to be very specific in use as the opponent needs to be somewhat bloodlusted for this to work. Only a few witchers from the school of the wolf seems to be able to utilize this sign so it is probably only applicable to Geralt and Vesemir, and possibly Eskel.

Still, this is very much Emotion Manipulation and Limited Fear Manipulation.

The second one I don't have any strong opinions upon.

From reading a few sources, this seems to be a type of sign used by witchers which utilizes Telempathy (Magic that manipulates emotions). It redirects emotions such as hatred and rage back at the opponent. This weirdly enough only is ever mentioned in this instance and that comic you've posted but it also seems to be very specific in use as the opponent needs to be somewhat bloodlusted for this to work. Only a few witchers from the school of the wolf seems to be able to utilize this sign so it is probably only applicable to Geralt and Vesemir, and possibly Eskel.

Still, this is very much Emotion Manipulation and Limited Fear Manipulation.
I have no recollection of this ability being classified as a Sign. And I find it difficult to believe that Sapkowski forgot to specify that (or name a separate Sign) in his very first Witcher work.

Indeed, this appears to be applicable only against a bloodlusted enemy and only when Geralt is given enough time to synchronize, so to speak, with his opponent. Thus Limited Emotion and/or Fear Manipulation should be fine, me thinks.

Question: is there a way to bring more Witcher debaters to this thread? It's been a while since I posted, but if I remember correctly, tagging others was not allowed.

I have no recollection of this ability being classified as a Sign. And I find it difficult to believe that Sapkowski forgot to specify that (or name a separate Sign) in his very first Witcher work.

Indeed, this appears to be applicable only against a bloodlusted enemy and only when Geralt is given enough time to synchronize, so to speak, with his opponent. Thus Limited Emotion and/or Fear Manipulation should be fine, me thinks.

You're correct actually, only the fandom wiki for reason states this as being a type sign despite not really being mentioned as such. It might boil down on how witchers really only know how to cast signs and not any more complicated spells.

And it is pretty much fine to add to the page as it a really defining yet obscure power that has a very niche but very effective ability.

Question: is there a way to bring more Witcher debaters to this thread? It's been a while since I posted, but if I remember correctly, tagging others was not allowed.

Out of luck as far as I am concerned. Many supporters have left or aren't interested in the verse page anymore, even I am not that active anymore.

You're correct actually, only the fandom wiki for reason states this as being a type sign despite not really being mentioned as such. It might boil down on how witchers really only know how to cast signs and not any more complicated spells.

And it is pretty much fine to add to the page as it a really defining yet obscure power that has a very niche but very effective ability.
Potentially more goodies:
witcherfc4p4.jpg

Geralt claims that he"'d recognize a weaker mirage".

Furthermore, in the talking Roach quest, he claims that an umbrae is completely invisible, "even to witchers", which suggests he would be able to see through some forms of invisibility.

Could this qualify as Limited Resistance to Perception Manipulation?

Potentially more goodies:
witcherfc4p4.jpg

Geralt claims that he"'d recognize a weaker mirage".

Furthermore, in the talking Roach quest, he claims that an umbrae is completely invisible, "even to witchers", which suggests he would be able to see through some forms of invisibility.

Could this qualify as Limited Resistance to Perception Manipulation?

I made a sandbox for a Verse-specific Powers and Abilities page for witchers (I haven't finished it but I'm already busy with the ASOIAF pages, I can let you finish it if you want).

Back