• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why do Flowey and other Undertale top tiers have immeasurable speeds?

I've finally gotten around to playing Undertale for myself, and Flowey's immeasurable speeds come from loading and switching between save files. At the same time, however, the save files in this wiki are referred to as timelines, so it's essentially like travelling back and forth between alternate universes. How does that qualify for immeasurable speeds?

Also, if it isn't timelines and actually periods of time, wouldn't it be some form of 'time loops' rather than immeasurable speeds, considering that Flowey saves points of time and replays them?

Flowey, Asriel and the like have the ability to move beyond SAVE files, i.e. beyond the timelines themselves with seemingly no adverse effects. This indicates he is beyond space-time and, if the time catagory is left unknown in the s = d/t then speed cannot be measured, ergo, immesurable

Define 'beyond' save files, because I have no clue how moving beyond timelines would equal immeasurable speeds.

From what I know, that would at best qualify for infinite speed.

So. Save files = timelines as I'm pretty sure you are aware.

Flowey is able to exist outside of save files, undefined by them. Existing outside of timelines means that a character is able to exist beyond linear time, i.e. they are not constrained by the time stream. The fact that Flowey can move in an area undefined by linear time means that in the s = d/t equation, t is undefined. As time does not exist in the area where he is, there is no value that can be placed on t that would be correct. Ergo, the s portion of that equation cannot be measured, as there is no possible number to divide the distance by. Cannot be measured = immesurable.

Infinite speed on the other hand, is movement when the t part of the equation = 0. This is because any number / 0 = infinity. And, a value that has no possible number =/= 0, as 0 is still a number. Flowey could not be proven to move at such a speed that time stands still, as he is in an area with no timelines, where time doesn't exist. Time cannot stand still, as it quite literally isn't there.

If all it takes to get immeasurable is to move outside of Timelines (Not above them) then every Xenoverse character would be immeasurable in speed right now.

Guys, relax:

The "current" reasons as of why they have immeasurable speed, is that Flowy can constantly change to new timelines, this would transcend causality itself to move between them

... Obviously, this is wrong and never stated in the game, and "Loading" a timeline is just hax, or a form of Dimensional Travel, not actually immeasurable speed.

They were supposed to get downgraded to infinite speed (via them being able to live without space or time) in the last Undertale CTR.

Back