• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Web Novels

Celestial_Pegasus

VS Battles
Administrator
So been thinking this for a while, we don't have a web novel category on here, there are numerous characters who would fit under it. A lot of light novels were originally web novels, just as it sounds, web novels are novels published on the web.

How exactly do we even treat this media? Is it even allowed? Really don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, don't we also already have a sort of web novel series on here being the SCP Foundatio, if i am not mistaken, that series is published online.

What would classify under this category exactly? I mean like, other than The Foundation.

I think that's reasonable.

However, considering the only thing that differs between Light Novel and Web Novel, is the publishing medium, would it be better to use a category named "Light / Web Novels" instead for ease of categorizing?

Light novels and web novels are usually the same except, web novels are online while light novels are licensed by a company and sold.

However light novels can sometimes change things, so sometimes characters can have differing power levels as well, from the web novels.

There also plenty of web novels that stand by themselves and have no light novels, sometimes get adapted straight to manga's.

Ok, so what would God of High School, Tower of God, and The Gamer be classified as?

Well, as long as the web novels are reasonably notable, I suppose that we can probably feature them. However, our wiki navigation bar can only feature a maximum of 10 links in each folder, so we cannot add a web novel category to it as well.

@Sir Ovens Those are basically korean manga published online, web novels are novels posted online, so it's just words, those have pictures.

I think we have them covered with manhwa, which is korean manga and manhua, chinese manga, we have those two categories already i think.

Ah, ok. I think this should be alright then. Though, if we exclude Wattpad (For obvious reasons) are there really a lot of western web novels out there?

Thinking about it, we should probably have a broader category to cover not only online novels but online manga as well, the only difference between the 2 is one is only words and the other has drawings, they both however are published online, and usually aren't licensed or sold or anything like that, so perhaps a online series category in general, would be appropriate.

@Sir Ovens Western probably not, but there are a lot of Japanese web novels though, seen a lot of chinese ones as well, currently reading one.

I am fine with a web novel category but I don't think we have a category for webcomics do we? Though web novels/webcomics can be notable works they generally fall under the amateur classification.

VenomElite said:
I am fine with a web novel category but I don't think we have a category for webcomics do we? Though web novels/webcomics can be notable works they generally fall under the amateur classification.
Some webtoons are classified on the manga category, which is generally wrong

A web comic and a web novel category makes alot of sense Especially since one of the most famous web comics has one of the more detailed pages on the wiki (Homestuck)

Although I may be biased since my novel is going to wattpad when it is done.

Shouldn't we just group those under the "internet" category? We are going to end up with many "Web(Something)" category if we start to use Webnovel and Webcomic.

Like for example, a Webnovel would get both the "Light Novel" and "Internet" category. Imo it would probably be more efficient.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Shouldn't we just group those under the "internet" category? We are going to end up with many "Web(Something)" category if we start to use Webnovel and Webcomic.

Like for example, a Webnovel would get both the "Light Novel" and "Internet" category. Imo it would probably be more efficient.

That could work.

Oh, we do, we should then just explain on the internet category that it also includes web novels, webcomics, webtoons etc etc.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Well we already have one, but it's only used for the SCP Foundation and RWBY rn.

Sorry if this is off topic but it's something I've been wondering for awhile. Would Netflix series also get the "Internet" category? They are streamed via the internet after all.

Series like Worm and webcomics should get the category as well.

Well, the problem is that these types of categories are only supposed to index verse pages, but I could remove all character profiles from the Internet category via a script, if you wish.

Also, I think that Netflix, and similar video serial services, should still go under "TV Series" for the sake of convenience, and since they are watched via a television or a computer.

We could have an Internet category for the verse page, and an Internet characters category for characters.

Yea Tv series already covers netflix, don't need to put it under Internet.

How many series/characters from Web Novels exist here on the Wiki?

If the number of characters from actual Web Novels is insignificant compared to the number of characters in other categories (movies, games, LN), we do not need to create a category for this right now until more character profiles are produced.

Well fairly new at this admin position, so don't know how to do it. Basically the internet category needs to be changed to internet characters category, and rwby and red vs blue need to taken off the current internet category which will become the internet characters category, and be added to a new Internet category.

Then series like SCP need to be added to the Internet category and it's characters to the Internet Characters category, don't know how to perform mass edits to do all that.

Wait a little. I will try to add the "Internet Characters" category to the character profiles in the current "Internet" category, and then remove said "Internet" category from them.

Ok, we should also probably add an explanation on the Internet category, that it is for series primarly featured on the internet, regardless of the medium they are in, so it includes Web Novels, Web Comics, Web Toons etc.

Yes. I agree.

However, I seem to have encountered a problem. For some reason, I have received the following error when attempting to add the "Internet Characters" category:

"Failed to add Category to [...]: badtoken"

It has not happened to me before.

Hmm will just have to do it the ordinary way i guess and add the Internet Characters category to characters, it will be created that way, and then you can just switch the characters in the Internet Category to the Internet Characters category.

Hmm, just tried adding Internet Characters as a category, but it doesn't get added

Edit: Works now

Prom has already taken care of it and moved all the character pages that were already on the internet category to the the internet characters category and verses to the internet category. Now all we need to do is add the other ones like The God of Highschool and Noblesse and their character profiles to the relevant categories.

Okay. That was very nice of her. I wonder why it didn't work when I used the script.

You know how we have media in the front page ant with the types of media there are?

If so, I think it would be best to probably have an internet category out there as well.

Back