• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Woody Woodpecker: Media and canonicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

Previously I had proposed that Woody from the original cartoon and the 2018 web series be the same character in this crt, which I achieved. But now I want to expand on this, connecting the entire original series with the 2018 web series.

Arguments

Firstly, we have Woody's connection, in which in an episode of the 2018 web series he returns to his original form, which is represented by the first design he had in the original cartoon.

Another moment in which we have a direct connection with the events of the original cartoon is when the web series directly mentions the events of the original cartoon and its episodes [they comment on the episodes The Screwball (1943) and Red Riding Hoodlum (1957)].

Another event is about Woody and the other characters in the cartoon being actors in their own cartoon in a metafictional style. In the 2018 web series, they are shown acting in an episode of the cartoon within the Walter Lantz studios (the studio that made the original Woody Woodpecker cartoon), which connects with the original cartoon in which Woody is also shown as an actor.

So because Woody is the same character, as well as the metafictional thing about them acting in their own cartoon on Walter Lantz, as well as the direct connections that the two series have, I think it's reasonable to assume that the characters presented in the original cartoon that appeared in the 2018 web series they are the same characters.

For example, Woody has two twin nephews who are Splinter and Knothead. And if it is accepted that the Woody of both series is the same Woody, I think it is simpler to assume (Ockham's Razor) that the nephews are also the same, than for some reason Woody to have two other twin nephews with the exact same same name.

Possible Counter Argument

- "But the characters in the two series have different designs and personalities, as well as different story contexts"

Well, I don't see a problem with that, it's simple to answer.

Besides the argument of them acting in their own cartoon, the design is really just a visual change that can be easily changed when for example Woody changes his design to the original form of the original cartoon.

Furthermore, in the cartoon itself, both Woody and other characters like Buzz, changed their designs and even personalities several times as the years passed, and they are all considered the same character. As well as in the original cartoon itself there were episodes in which they were in very different contexts, such as the Old West or the Pirate Era, and the two are considered the same characters. So with the direct connections that the two cartoons have, as well as considering that these character changes are something normal within the verse, I don't see a problem that the same characters that appeared in both series are the same characters.

The New Woody Woodpecker Show and the Movies

So far these two media have not been shown to have any direct connection or any type of connection with the original cartoon or the 2018 web series, so they will be considered separate continuities until new arguments are shown. So if you have an argument, you can speak up.

HQs and Games

Due to the large volume of these two media, there is still a lot to look for. So the question of their canonicity for series and cartoons will be asked in a future crt and not now.

So even if the comics and games have some connection with any cartoon in the franchise, they will not be discussed in this crt. They will be left for a future crt.

Conclusion

The verse page will have the following:
This section will talk about the canonicity of the different media in the Woody Woodpecker franchise and the connections between them:
  • It is currently accepted that the cartoon "The Woody Woodpecker and Friends" and "Woody Woodpecker (2018 web series)" are canonical to each other due to the direct connections that the two series he has. As a result, the incarnations of the same character that appeared in both series are considered the exact same character.
  • In relation to the cartoon "The New Woody Woodpecker Show" and the Woody Woodpecker Films, they are considered different continuities that, in addition to having no connection with each other, also have no connection with the original cartoon or the 2018 web series.

Votes

Agree: (3;0) @Theglassman12, @DarkDragonMedeus, @LordGriffin1000

Neutral:

Disagree:

Last edited:
Looks fine to me
Looks alright to me.
I think Thread Mods votes always counted from what I can remember.

Also, I'm fine with the connections and agree with the update.
Time has passed and we have enough votes.

I added the canonicity section to the verse page, in the same way I added it in the OP.

So I think this can be closed. What will also be posted will be a photo of the 2018 version of some characters on their respective pages, but the main one is already gone, and the crt doesn't need to be left open because of that.

Thanks for everyone's time. The crt can now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back