• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Policy regarding Web Novels and Light Novels verses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck03

An ending is not the end
He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Combining Two Versions of Novels in a Verse

Introduction​

In the creative world of storytelling, authors often embark on their journey by first writing a web novel, which serves as the original story concept. As these web novels gain significant attention from the public, authors may decide to transition them into light novels, where they can incorporate illustrations, enhance text clarity, and introduce new features. However, when a verse has two versions of novels (or even three if we consider visual novels), questions arise regarding the best approach to handle these variations. This policy aims to establish standards and guidelines for combining or separating such versions and addresses potential distinctions that may arise.

Premise​

The main premise of this policy revolves around determining the appropriate course of action when a verse has multiple novel versions. The key considerations include whether to combine or separate these versions and how to address any significant distinctions they may possess. The policy recognizes that while certain differences are acceptable, there should be a consistent flow and alignment between the two versions, ensuring the main plot remains intact without introducing a completely different narrative context.

The location of the draft will be readily accessible within the Editing Rules page. Specifically, a dedicated section titled "Web Novel and Light Novel" under "Inclusion of Verses" will be established for this purpose.

Draft​

• The decision to combine two versions of a novel into a single verse will depend on the level of coherence and consistency between them and will be evaluated in a case-by-case basis. While subplots and minor variations may be permissible, the core narrative and its progression should not deviate significantly.

• There should be no major differences in the contextual aspects between the two versions. This includes verse settings, established laws, key background information, verse mechanics, power system, terminology, cosmology and universal energy systems. Any disparities that could create confusion or disrupt the overall understanding of the story should be addressed and resolved.

• If there are significant translation differences between the two versions, careful consideration should be given to whether they can be reconciled without compromising the integrity of the story. If the translation differences result in substantial alterations to the narrative or characterizations, it may be advisable to keep the versions separate.

• When merging two versions of a novel, it is crucial to maintain consistency in style, tone, and artistic intent. Therefore, to ensure the harmonious fusion of the two versions, it is imperative that a single author has written both versions to ensure an accurate storyline.
Side Note. Staff Only Thread.

So it's basically Mixing them is allowed as long as they are at least 99% identical ?
Yes, most of the time the profiles are even separated into different versions even if they do not differ much only in cleanups and small additions...

And by small additions I mean added details that have not previously been in the Web version but do not directly affect the actual scaling of the verse i.e. a side story about something not relevant in feats would not be taken as a change in the storyline or the likes.

I thought we basically already did this, but I guess it wasn't written anywhere.

Series like Slime were separated because the entire narrative and characters changed between versions, however with Re Zero while there are differences here and there, the narrative nor characters change, so currently both versions are combined, and if something is different we take the light novel as the definitive version.

Thank you to all staff members who are helping out with evaluations. 🙏

Since this thread is so short and recent, I'm going to open it back up instead of creating a new thread.

I take issue with part of this new policy, specifically this bullet point:
If there are significant translation differences between the two versions, careful consideration should be given to whether they can be reconciled without compromising the integrity of the story. If the translation differences result in substantial alterations to the narrative or characterizations, it may be advisable to keep the versions separate.
This seems, frankly, ludicrous. If the original texts have no notable differences, but one of the translations is so bad that it introduces a lot of changes, the bad translation should just be ignored, not given its own pages.

Why were the standards written that way? And if there's no good reason behind that choice, could I delete that, or rewrite it to be something about not creating pages for versions with flawed translations?

Last edited:
Got permission from @Agnaa to post one comment since I created the entire draft and @Antvasima and @Mr._Bambu are aware of it.
This seems, frankly, ludicrous. If the original texts have no notable differences, but one of the translations is so bad that it introduces a lot of changes, the bad translation should just be ignored, not given its own pages.
What does “original texts” here refer?

If you meant to say original text from light novel and from web novel, then it is the case if it has any notable differences in terms of narrative. I don't think it is ludicrous, we need to draw a line when we do separate those two versions or to combine them which is the entire premise of the draft.

Your instance is a bit of tangential if I may say, since we won't take a decision to whether we separate the versions based on bad translations, so I don't think we need to worry about it.

Edit: @Agnaa and I discussed it in private and I concluded. Since I am the only one who made the draft; he can remove it. My entire intention is covered in other bullet points. So this one seems redundant.

Last edited:
Original texts refers to the original language versions of the web novel and the light novel.

Since that bullet point explicitly refers to differences coming about in the translation, which isn't done by the original author, but by a third party (in the vast majority of cases).

If the translation results in notable differences, which aren't present in the non-translated material, then we shouldn't make profiles based on those translation errors.

EDIT: Since Dread gave me permission to edit that bullet point out, I've done so, and re-locked the thread. If anyone wants to contend that, contact me anywhere, or re-open the thread if you can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back