• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

We need to talk about Universal Energy Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellbeast

He/Him

Introduction​

Just a few weeks ago I came to an epiphany; our universal energy systems really suck. Like we currently don't have a page based on the concept or even solid guidelines for how to explain what that even means. To help explain, universal energy systems are the idea of figuring out whether certain power sources like magic or chi are able to prove whether the use of those powers can be scaled to physical statistics. It used to be a pretty universal assumption but then we had the concept of Environmental Destruction which put this assumption into question. Currently that correlation needs to be proven, this is well and good but there's one problem. There's no solid rules, guidelines or even suggestions for how to determine whether powers are applicable to physicals beyond just characters amping their physical capabilities, such as making them stronger, faster or even empowering mundane weapons. All of this is seemingly our only rule for it and I had to find that by digging up information on our official forums rather then just reading a page.

It's absolutely insane this massive concept that affects whole verses doesn't have any real guides to help us vet which instances really fit or not; it'd be like if there was no page for laser dodging or environmental destruction or literally any other major concept we play with on the Wiki . So I wanted to take a swing at fixing this problem

Fixing it up​

For the last month I've been writing up a rough draft for a page and some additional rules we could adopt to help make our jobs easier on figuring out whether powers are universally applicable. This includes a rough and probably terrible summary of the concept and some new guidelines for us to use. The link to that Google Doc can be found here for your convenience. This is not intended as a totally finalized list; I am more then willing to take suggestions on adding or removing factors or how they should be worded before we can go forward. I'm also looking to see if we can find any good examples of power systems that qualify or don't qualify as universal since that could help quite a bit.

I agree with some premises as well as a case by case scenario in mind, but disagree with certain practices and think some parts are too inflexible. Such as the part about "External sources" as there are cases where they can be used to scale to physicals such as the Force from Star Wars actually being an example of an external source rather than an internal source. Not everything has to be internal; some examples are a combination of internal and external.

But I need to go to sleep soon, and shouldn't stay up too late on a work night.

I agree with some premises as well as a case by case scenario in mind, but disagree with certain practices and think some parts are too inflexible. Such as the part about "External sources" as there are cases where they can be used to scale to physicals such as the Force from Star Wars actually being an example of an external source rather than an internal source. Not everything has to be internal; some examples are a combination of internal and external.
In fairness the Force would likely kinda fit since you have Midichlorians but yeah that's a fair cop; that comment was more in reference to the use of external totems for magical power such as the various totemic artefacts the Arrowverse uses. I'd note it is fairly case by case though, even if certain criteria aren't met that doesn't nullify you entirely. You can meet the other criteria and still be considered universal.
A character who gets it from an external source but meets the criteria about being universe wide, being powerless when removed from that source and abilities being relative would still qualify under these guidelines.

You don't need to fit every single one to qualify, same with our Laser guidelines or our rules about lighting timing feats.
But I need to go to sleep soon, and shouldn't stay up too late on a work night.
Fair enough; night

Last edited:
Anything I don't directly comment on I don't have anything to say about.
  • Users need to have the capacity to use their powers to directly channel their power through physical objects in a way that quantifiably enhances them such as:
    • Empowering and enhancing weapons

I hard disagree with this, part, but not so much about the enhancing your physical punches with it. But I see no reason why you NEED to have Empowerment to prove a universal energy system.

Feeling the power radiate throughout their body

Weirdly specific, no real reason for this to be a criteria, which by definition is a requirement.

Direct correlation needs to be established between the universal system and outright power or potential power (Midichlorians)

What exactly did you mean by this? That someone doing something with their "power" needs to be confirmed to connect to the universal power system? Doesn't that defeat the point of having a universal power system?

• A removal of said power source needs to be represented as a dramatic loss in power for the user (even to the point of being no stronger than a normal human)
  • Needs to explicitly be a common source of power within the verse
    • Not necessarily a main one but it needs to serve as a powersource for several characters

Fine with these.

• The powersource being a massive underpinning of the universe itself would certainly be an argument for it applying
    • E.G, the Force “binding the Universe” together and being directly tied to all life in the setting.

...eh. This is a bit weird and definitely shouldn't be a downside if it's not stated/shown somehow, but should be a plus if it is.

• Needs to be an internal source of energy within the character
    • Simply put; the loss of internal energy needs to be reflected by a severe lack of internal power.
  • Care needs to be taken in showing that abilities are mostly relative to each other in order to reliably qualify

Why internal? I think this is a weirdly specific and not very relevant thing to make a requirement.

Eh on the 2nd part, because in universal power systems, you should still be able to funnel more power into bigger attacks (i.e., Kamehameha, giant Rasengans, just any big concentrated energy blast or the like).

• Certain attacks being overwhelmingly stronger than others
    • Higher feats only being represented in environmental effects would simply make the instance Environmental Destruction

I feel like this makes "ultimate attacks" a counter-point to universal energy systems. I think that's extremely wrong, if someone in a universal energy system can use a lot of that energy in a single attack to make it more powerful than their general output, then that shouldn't be proof against a universal energy system.

Also, isn't this note just basically saying creation feats aren't applicable overall, or something like earthquake feats? I don't see how that's better than how we currently have it, not inherently scaling but if there's reason that it should be able to scale (i.e., being casually done therefore in a UES they should be able to do something else of the same tier relatively easily) then it should scale.

Attacks being "outliers" for a character's physical statistics can be used as evidence against it qualifying

This is... ok. As long as it's not used to disqualify a featless character's feats, for example, if a featless villain fights an unquantifiably stronger version of someone who, in a weaker state, did a tier 8 feat, if the villain then performs a tier 6 feat, it should scale.

• Characters losing their energy source and still being capable of replicating the same feats
  • Power sources being limited to only or two characters could imply it’s simply a an individual quirk, rather then anything larger

What if they lose the energy and perform, though still superhuman feats, but nowhere near their previous capabilities? Like, if a character lost all their power and were tier 5 previously, but showcase tier 8 feats afterwards, would that still be against the energy system qualifying?

Okay with the 2nd thing.

So far so good. The guidelines seem sound, but I share the same issues as DDM and Axxtentacle on the "external energy sources" part.

As for creation-based feats, DontTalk already stressed enough here that you don't need an X-tiered destruction feat for your similarly-tiered Creation feat to scale to your physicals with a universal energy source at play, and that it's sufficient to proof that your creation spells don't use more of your power than your attack spells. Of course, if it's an outlier with a one-time instance never before mentioned again, it's an outlier, plain and simple.

• Users need to have the capacity to use their powers to directly channel their power through physical objects in a way that quantifiably enhances them such as:

I hard disagree with this, part, but not so much about the enhancing your physical punches with it. But I see no reason why you NEED to have Empowerment to prove a universal energy system.
Currently this is treated as an existing requirement and since it's already so widely used on the Wiki I felt it a decent choice to roll that into the proposed stuff. The empowerment would just be an extension of the idea you can amp your physical strikes (Can remove it though if needed)
What exactly did you mean by this? That someone doing something with their "power" needs to be confirmed to connect to the universal power system? Doesn't that defeat the point of having a universal power system?
The reason I bring this up is it implies gaining that mystical energy is able to radiate out into the rest of their body ala Deathstroke with the Godkiller or Kratos feeling that way in the God of War novels after getting new powers. It's definitely specific but it helps to show that it's a wider bodily enhancement and not just separate from physicals
  • The powersource being a massive underpinning of the universe itself would certainly be an argument for it applying
    • E.G, the Force “binding the Universe” together and being directly tied to all life in the setting.

...eh. This is a bit weird and definitely shouldn't be a downside if it's not stated/shown somehow, but should be a plus if it is.
This is my point; it's not a downside but it's a W if included (I'm tempted to just make this a sub type of the common source of power point)
    • Simply put; the loss of internal energy needs to be reflected by a severe lack of internal power.
  • Care needs to be taken in showing that abilities are mostly relative to each other in order to reliably qualify

Why internal? I think this is a weirdly specific and not very relevant thing to make a requirement.
Again this is more to counter cases where powers are derived solely from artefacts
Eh on the 2nd part, because in universal power systems, you should still be able to funnel more power into bigger attacks (i.e., Kamehameha, giant Rasengans, just any big concentrated energy blast or the like).
Yeah that kinda makes sense, now you mention it
    • Higher feats only being represented in environmental effects would simply make the instance Environmental Destruction

I feel like this makes "ultimate attacks" a counter-point to universal energy systems. I think that's extremely wrong, if someone in a universal energy system can use a lot of that energy in a single attack to make it more powerful than their general output, then that shouldn't be proof against a universal energy system.
Hmm fair point
Also, isn't this note just basically saying creation feats aren't applicable overall, or something like earthquake feats? I don't see how that's better than how we currently have it, not inherently scaling but if there's reason that it should be able to scale (i.e., being casually done therefore in a UES they should be able to do something else of the same tier relatively easily) then it should scale.
This is more saying if there isn't a universal energy system they'd just be Environmental Destruction if that makes sense
This is... ok. As long as it's not used to disqualify a featless character's feats, for example, if a featless villain fights an unquantifiably stronger version of someone who, in a weaker state, did a tier 8 feat, if the villain then performs a tier 6 feat, it should scale.
Agreed
  • Characters losing their energy source and still being capable of replicating the same feats
  • Power sources being limited to only or two characters could imply it’s simply a an individual quirk, rather then anything larger

What if they lose the energy and perform, though still superhuman feats, but nowhere near their previous capabilities? Like, if a character lost all their power and were tier 5 previously, but showcase tier 8 feats afterwards, would that still be against the energy system qualifying?
No because they had a huge loss in personal power and can't replicate the same feats, the point is more if someone has Tier 7 feats, loses access to say magic and yet can still do pretty outright Tier 7 stuff; hence my use of "the same feats"
Okay with the 2nd thing.
Cheers
So far so good. The guidelines seem sound, but I share the same issues as DDM and Axxtentacle on the "external energy sources" part.
Yeah I might need to reword that section
As for creation-based feats, DontTalk already stressed enough here that you don't need an X-tiered destruction feat for your similarly-tiered Creation feat to scale to your physicals with a universal energy source at play, and that it's sufficient to proof that your creation spells don't use more of your power than your attack spells. Of course, if it's an outlier with a one-time instance never before mentioned again, it's an outlier, plain and simple.
Yeah my point was more if it doesn't fit a universal energy system it'd just be ED

Agree with this, if anything, it'd be the other way around, universal energy sources would automatically grant you Empowerment by default, and not that you'd need to have Empowerment prior to prove that the Universal energy system works

The powersource being a massive underpinning of the universe itself would certainly be an argument for it applying

Yeah, I agree with this, it necessarily doesn't need to be internal, just ask the Force.

Not sure how Earthquake feats would fall under this, since those are usually done via physical attacks. We only use Total Seismic Energy for real earthquakes, while fictional earthquakes generated by punches and kicks use radiated waves. But for the most part, I agree, also if Character B tanks said Ultimate Attack from Character A with minor-to-no injuries and then the two immediately proceed to beat the living crap out of each other and matching each other blow-for-blow, they should definitely both scale to the Ultimate Attack's yield.

Okay with the 2nd thing.
Completely fine with this. For example, if a god-tier has a universal energy source and casually breathes or muscle-flexes a universe into existence despite it being the only feat the god-tier has, but the feat plays a major plot point in the story and nothing below the god-tiers can even hope to scale to it, it should not necessarily be assumed as an outlier. Like for example, Mundus in DMC flexing a universe (Of course he has more feats than that and the god-tiers in general have more universe-splitting and fusing feats than that, this was just an example) into existence or any of the DOOM stuff.

Last edited:
I like the proposal overall, and I do believe it's necessary to have guidelines for something that affects so many verses; however, I do share many of the concerns brought forth by DDM and Axxtentacle. Especially the bits about external energy sources, "ultimate attacks", and ED feats.

Agree with this, if anything, it'd be the other way around, universal energy sources would automatically grant you Empowerment by default, and not that you'd need to have Empowerment prior to prove that the Universal energy system works

Yeah, I agree with this, it necessarily doesn't need to be internal, just ask the Force.
I mean the Force has Midichlorians outright correlating to power and potential so it still fits criteria
Not sure how Earthquake feats would fall under this, since those are usually done via physical attacks. We only use Total Seismic Energy for real earthquakes, while fictional earthquakes generated by punches and kicks use radiated waves. But for the most part, I agree, also if Character B tanks said Ultimate Attack from Character A with minor-to-no injuries and then the two immediately proceed to beat the living crap out of each other and matching each other blow-for-blow, they should definitely both scale to the Ultimate Attack's yield.
If it's physical then it'd be a striking feat; you'd need to prove criteria if it's just weird magically based earthquakes or a power you have rather then just stats
Completely fine with this. For example, if a god-tier has a universal energy source and casually breathes or muscle-flexes a universe into existence despite it being the only feat the god-tier has, but the feat plays a major plot point in the story and nothing below the god-tiers can even hope to scale to it, it should not necessarily be assumed as an outlier.
Yeah surely it'd only be an outlier if it's being used to scale to everyone else
I like the proposal overall, and I do believe it's necessary to have guidelines for something that affects so many verses; however, I do share many of the concerns brought forth by DDM and Axxtentacle. Especially the bits about external energy sources, "ultimate attacks", and ED feats.
Hmm in that case I could remove those two requirements?

Hmm in that case I could remove those two requirements?
Perhaps just reworded.
You mentioned that a few of these were put in place to counter feats powered through magical artifacts and the like (or whatever other external source that clearly doesn't correlate to physicals), so you should definitely make that distinction more clear to avoid confusion or the guidelines being too inflexible.

Perhaps just reworded.
You mentioned that a few of these were put in place to counter feats powered through magical artifacts and the like (or whatever other external source that clearly doesn't correlate to physicals), so you should definitely make that distinction more clear to avoid confusion or the guidelines being too inflexible.
Yeah makes sense; I can put that into place tomorrow after work

haha I'm in danger
basically he was gonna make sure heat and cold scaled to AP even better without universal energy sources so calm down XD

Heck, even Dargoo agreed and conceded to the fact that heat and cold would be AP even without universal energy source, just that the temperature stuff would scale as separate AP and dura if universal energy source didn't exist.

Except, some people have a problem with the cold aspect.

basically he was gonna make sure heat and cold scaled to AP even better without universal energy sources so calm down XD
Oh I thought you meant he disagreed with this thread lmao
Heck, even Dargoo agreed that heat and cold would be AP even without universal energy source, just that the temperature stuff would scale as separate AP and dura if universal energy source didn't exist.
I mean wouldn't they be AP but as a higher?

Oh I thought you meant he disagreed with this thread lmao

I mean wouldn't they be AP but as a higher?
Universal energy source= Heat/Cold or temperature-based AP scale to you all-around, to your physicals as well

No Universal Energy Source= Heat/Cold or temperature-based AP is still AP, but they'd be made a separate statistic, much like Environmental Destruction

Heat portion no one has qualms with anymore. It's the Ice feats and cloud feats some people have problems with that DT, I, DDM and the rest of the staff are either too burnt out on to keep debating anymore or have simply left the wiki.

As for the Heat/Cold AP being higher, you'd actually have to get calcs for said feats to see if they're higher than physicals LMAO

This looks great, we really should have a page explaining the rules for Universal Energy Systems

I agree with pretty much everything of what's said in the proposal

Also I will forever support heating and cooling feats scaling to AP and being able to be scaled to physicals with a Universal Energy System

Cheers
Also feel free to let me know which verses would fit easily by these guides (I assume DMC would and the DCEU's Old Gods MIGHT)

Cheers
Also feel free to let me know which verses would fit easily by these guides (I assume DMC would and the DCEU's Old Gods MIGHT)
DMC, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Bleach and Fairy Tail come to mind honestly.

GoW prolly as well but I'll let the GoW experts decide that.

Also DOOM via Hell Energy or whatever it was called.

DMC, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Bleach and Fairy Tail come to mind honestly.
These sound good; I'll add Bleach, DB and One Piece
AC might need it's own thread based off the Universal Lattices and I can't recall the DMC thread. No idea about Fairy Tail but hey

Doom and other verses might need to prove they can fit in their own threads too but idk
We're currently going through that on another thread but I think the Gods and Titans of Greece fit well enough. No too sure about the magic of the Nine Realms but that could change come Ragnarok

Also which of you got the Anonymous Nyan Cat badge on my Doc?

These sound good; I'll add Bleach, DB and One Piece
AC might need it's own thread based off the Universal Lattices and I can't recall the DMC thread.
DMC stuff got accepted on multiple CRT threads including the Low 2-C Mundus thread.

But I mean would it fit under the proposed new guides?
zH81urdh.jpg

But I mean would it fit under the proposed new guides?
Most definitely. It already fits 4 criteria-

• Empowering and enhancing weapons (Look no further to Dante amplifying his pistols to one-hit-kill peeps that can fuse universe by merely existing)
    • Empowering the user’s own physical capabilities, such as their physical strikes (Devil Trigger, Sin Devil Trigger)
    • Power described as “radiating throughout” the user’s body could certainly imply this (Dante's transformations, Dante getting enraged at basically anything which causes him to develop an intense fear-inducing aura that people can see from great distances, Royal Guard attacks which are basically his pent-up rage from blocking attacks, etc.)
  • Users need to explicitly draw from singular sources for their myriad of abilities (Demonic energy)
  • A removal of said power source needs to be represented as a dramatic loss in power for the user (even to the point of being no stronger than a normal human) (both Mundus and the Beastheads could drain Dante's power to the point where he could barely even move, there's also Gilver's Demon Nexus that does the same thing, Beryl's bullets being forged specifically to absorb and destroy Demonic power to the point where the demon ******* dies as shown in the above scan)
  • Needs to explicitly be a common source of power within the verse (As common as it gets, Demonic energy is basically the be-all, end-all of every single demon in the verse, without it, they go kaput, Beryl's scan is good-enough evidence)
We have a blog for it: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Cyberblader9/Demonic_Energy_in_DMC

Last edited:

God of War should have enough evidence to suggest that it possess a Universal Energy System in similar ways to Devil May Cry.
Not sure about Assassin's Creed, since when it had any Universal Energy System?

For other verses who should had an Universal Energy System there is:
Saint Seiya with Cosmo.
Sailor Moon with Crystals/Magic.
Toriko with Appetite Energy.
Hunter x Hunter with Nen.
Fist of the North Star with Chi.
Yu Yu Hakusho with Spirit Energy.
And so many other Anime/Manga series that i'm not interested to mention.

And actually doesn't Marvel and DC possess multiple Universal Energy System? Or like multiple Energy Systems that many characters (but not all) had access?
Shouldn't we count them as well? Like the Emotional Spectrum for the Lanterns, the Power Cosmic for Heralds, the Speed Force for Speedsters, Quantum Field for characters like Captain Atom.

Last edited:
Well that certainly helps me out thanks
Most definitely. It already fits 3 criteria-

• Empowering the user’s own physical capabilities, such as their physical strikes
    • Power described as “radiating throughout” the user’s body could certainly imply this
  • A removal of said power source needs to be represented as a dramatic loss in power for the user (even to the point of being no stronger than a normal human)
  • Needs to explicitly be a common source of power within the verse
Huh works; so that'd wotrk (what's the core power source called?)

Not sure about Assassin's Creed, since when it had any Universal Energy System?
Since at least AC Valhalla, where a system called the Wireless Energy Lattice was introduced, basically it provides all the power and capabilities to the classical Isu's Pieces of Eden and all of their other technology. That's at least two conditions (Drawing power from a singular energy source and a common source of power, IIRC even the metal used to forge the Isu tech was stated to be capable of harnessing its own energy and is now an important aspect of AC Lore, as much as you wanna argue how the RPG games ruined it).

The Pieces of Eden also have a tendency to amplify its wielders permanently, cases being the Staves of Eden and the Sword of Eden (Specificalle Jeanne's sword and Deimos's Sword of Damokles). So that's another condition I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back