• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Updating Pokemon Statistics

I'm slightly iffy on considering Rhyhorn an "average" first stage Pokèmon, as almost all of its Pokèdex entries mention how incredibly strong and durable it is. If any first stage could do what it does I doubt it would be considered noteworthy by the Pokèdex

I had the same concern actually, but I was unsure because the profiles are meant to represent a Pokémon at its maximum potential, making so that some first stages (Wishiwashi, Magikarp, Dreepy and some bugs are notably weak) should be superior to the average Ryhorn.

But tier 8 should be somewhat granted anyway, and I remember some statements from the pokedex that might support it, I'll dig more.

I dunno, that feels slightly arbitrary.
A bit, I guess this issue goes in the list together with giving something to the second stages.

And this is also why a find problematic using anime feats like Piplus whirlpool, because we would get High 7-C first stages, and saiying "It's an outlier for the first stages but it's good for the second ones" is even more arbitrary. (and the anime has a lot of scaling problems, on top of that).

Honestly I think finding any sort of consistency in anything Pokèmon is virtually impossible, but I can agree with that

I suppose that's fair enough.

Dugtrio is also capable of creating earthquakes in it's Pokedex entries, which is noted on it's profile. These earthquakes are stated to be "Huge" in Multiple entries, perhaps this should be discussed?

I do also agree that Pokemon's scaling seems kinda arbitrary in some cases, like the case with Dawn's Piplup.

ngl diglett earthquakes could potentially support magnitude as it is learned by geodudes who are comparable.

Also did you just say 6-C? Wouldn't that at least scale to final stages as a blastoise could easily tank a full power magnitude?

I'd try to stay at least the most consistent possible, looking at more sources (with the games as the primary one) and find a reasonable middle way.

Not knowing the exact type of earthquake they generate, I'd put it in the list of city level-ish statements you can find scattered in third stage Pokémon dex entries (including mountain busting, destroying cities and stuff like that), as a support to Dragonair's feat, which seems to be the only clear-cut feat we have.

And some Pokémn would be exceptions, as I said, because some are notably weak, while others notably strong (semi-legendaries like Pupitar and its high 7-C feat, which was once the 7-A justification and those Pokémon were considered a step above others in their same stage).

ngl diglett earthquakes could potentially support magnitude as it is learned by geodudes who are comparable.

Also did you just say 6-C? Wouldn't that at least scale to final stages as a blastoise could easily tank a full power magnitude?
Even first stages (and babies) can tank a full power magnitude, it's not an OHKO on every Pokémon below the third stage of evolution, it would be incredible inconstent and still arbitrary.
Also, tanking an earthquake isn't actually something you can do, as the force you are struck with isn't the total amount necessary to generate said quake (if it's not something like Whitebeard focusing his quake energy into punches).

The problem is that even first stages can learn powerful moves, and they themselves aren't really reliable.
I mean, you could pull off a high tier from rain dance, and 7-A is getting axed in the first place because using defog as reason doesn't make sense.

I mean, Rain Dance is a dance that summons the rain, right? Logically it wouldn't scale to AP even if it was consistent.

But yeah move scaling seems wack unless it's signature moves

Gigatlith is stated to be able to nuke a mountain tho:

Compressing the energy from its internal core lets it fire off an attack capable of blowing away a mountain.

I'd give a reminder that destroying the average mountain isn't 7-A. It makes no sense, but it be like that

Destroying a mountain actually doesn't alway make you 7-A, as it can result in high 7-C or 7-B depending on the context, the type of mountain and so on.
Iirc there must be reasons (visuals or words) to prove that the mountain is large than the average one.

That makes sense, keeping to the 7-B that we currently have would mean an Earthquake around Magnitude 7-8 equivalent, which would definitely fall under a huge Earthquake.

The only thing I'm thinking about is that 60km distance we're given. This could drastically change the results, assuming a Magnitude 7 Earthquake on the surface would keep the results at roughly 7-B, but going up to Mag 8 brings it all back up to Mountain level.

If someone writes up a list of who needs changing to what. I can go through all the necessary profiles and change them.

I suppose that's fair enough.

Dugtrio is also capable of creating earthquakes in it's Pokedex entries, which is noted on it's profile. These earthquakes are stated to be "Huge" in Multiple entries, perhaps this should be discussed?

I do also agree that Pokemon's scaling seems kinda arbitrary in some cases, like the case with Dawn's Piplup.
I also noticed that the dex talks about triggering an earthquake. According to that, wouldn't the earthquake be a consequence of them digging at that depth, rather than them actively causing the quake through sheer power?

@Colonel_Krukov Thank you, but currently we are far from over.

@Waka It matters, opinions are always welcomed.

According to that, wouldn't the earthquake be a consequence of them digging at that depth, rather than them actively causing the quake through sheer power?
That's pretty much an headcanon, considering that Earth Type mons speciality is to cause Earthquakes with sheer power.

Not really, words are important (especially when we use statements) and the reason why Ryhorn's feat is currently considered 8-B instead of 8-C or even 9-A is because the dex talks about shattering and not toppling or such.

And the dex says that it triggers earthquakes while digging, which can perfectly be a chain reaction of them causing mess underground.

Furthermore, same is for Gyarados destroying cities, it doesn't give a timeframe, thus making it possibly not even tier 7. (other dex entries have these "issues")

Also moves like earthquake are rarely portrayed as being comparable to real world earthquakes in the anime/manga

Not really, words are important (especially when we use statements) and the reason why Ryhorn's feat is currently considered 8-B instead of 8-C or even 9-A is because the dex talks about shattering and not toppling or such.

And the dex says that it triggers earthquakes while digging, which can perfectly be a chain reaction of them causing mess underground.
Shoot, read that now lol.

Well, we got Ampharos who can emit light so strong that is visible from space tho.

EDIT: Machamp moving Mountains and having "Megaton-level punches" too.

I have to put that one feat under a bit of doubt considering Ampharos are used for lighthouses- if their lights were that strong, they'd blind everyone both at land and sea

How strong would it be? And would it be good for scaling, or does it have the same issues as electricity and such? (I remember than even Electivire having enough energy to power a city of a year was around 7-B, but that can't be use for scaling to others).

The next is a joke: They should be 3-A after Lanturn being visible from 5 km underwater (I don't know if the calc is correct, but it's one of the most oversued jokes when talking about Pokémon power levels).

I met someone who not only legit believed in it, but considered it a 2-B feat a bit ago. Truly mindblowing experience.

welp to be honest i cannot really do anything besides this one last thing. Mega Copperajah destroys mountains. It is either a very small feat if we assume british mountains but a copper orange and green coloured elephant pokemon in britain seems like it was brought from india. Galar doesn't have many notable mountains and not enough landscape to reform. Meanwhile india has the himalayas and lots of landscape. It would theoretically make sense to use a larger mountain but then again only galar has dynamax pokemon...i think.

welp to be honest i cannot really do anything besides this one last thing. Mega Copperajah destroys mountains. It is either a very small feat if we assume british mountains but a copper orange and green coloured elephant pokemon in britain seems like it was brought from india. Galar doesn't have many notable mountains and not enough landscape to reform. Meanwhile india has the himalayas and lots of landscape. It would theoretically make sense to use a larger mountain but then again only galar has dynamax pokemon...i think.
I mean, it's in the Galarian dex, which likely means it was written by a Galarian. I think english mountains are safer to use

Back