• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Undertale Player Low 1-C Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our forum.
This one I am typing on for example, this is what I am seeing as your quoted post

[ QUOTE="Antvasima, post: 5177822, member: 17"]
Do you mean our wiki or forum
You can solve this problem and switch back and forth between source code and visual mode editing by first clicking the following symbol (the one furthest to the right) when you respond to a discussion thread:

And then click on this symbol:

[ ]

You can solve this problem and switch back and forth between source code and visual mode editing by first clicking the following symbol (the one furthest to the right) when you respond to a discussion thread:

And then click on this symbol:

[ ]
So, what we do now?

Well, if all of the staff and knowledgeable members here disagree with Ultima, he seems to be outvoted in this particular case.

Well, if all of the staff and knowledgeable members here disagree with Ultima, he seems to be outvoted in this particular case.
So, we end this or...? Because it seems quite redundant and seems to be circular. Not to mention the change was already applied to the profile.

I personally do not mind.

Would you be willing to let this argument end here, Ultima?

Ultima will reply shortly. Please don't close the thread. I really don't feel like this discussion is over just because some people are agreeing with the OP. It's pretty clear there is still some disagreement here.

Would you be willing to let this argument end here, Ultima?
I wouldn't really, no. As far as the rules are concerned, I have up to two weeks to respond to this thread. Obviously, I am not going to wait 14 days to answer (Weekend started for me, so, today is it), but given that, I, as of now, see no reason for this, especially given I haven't even addressed everything I want to, as of yet (Like the potential questions Pain said they have regarding my arguments, but that's just an example)

Last edited:
Why are we in such a rush to get this thread closed? Besides Ultima still having stuff to address, I wanna throw in my own two cents as well, especially since I was called here by Ant earlier.

Regardless, arguing from Ultima's perspective, the Player seeing the world of Undertale, an infinite 4-D structure (4-D because multiple timelines, infinite because we default spacetime to being infinite) that is very real from the perspective of characters inside of it, as nothing more than a game represented by data in our 3-D world (as mainly indicated by the Dirty Hacker ending which the OP acknowledges and uses, and which is accepted on our profiles as well), is indeed a R-F difference. The OP brings up DDLC as a counterexample, but the issue is that DDLC has explicit statements of Monika's simulated world being just as real as "our world," while Undertale makes no such references. The same goes for something like DC Comics, where we know for a fact that fictional stories in one universe are real events in other, equally real universes, which again, isn't explicitly mentioned anywhere in UT. Ultimately, this would come down to whether or not we should default to an ontological difference in lack of explicit evidence of the R-F difference being something like the two cases I mentioned.

But that's all just me looking at it the way Ultima does. I wanna make my own thoughts heard. While I think that Strym's premise is poorly formulated and doesn't adequately address why the Player being Low 1-C might be wrong, I do have some counterarguments against the rating myself. I'll go into them later as I need time to formulate a good response, but the crux of my argument against Low 1-C doesn't come from Chara affecting the Player or data not being infinitely lesser than us; rather, it comes from A) how Flowey is able to see the world as a mere game despite not transcending it at all, and B) the Annoying Dog, who I am certain is the creator that Sans refers to in the Dirty Hacker ending, not holding an ontological difference over the game either. I'll post them when I'm ready, and I of course welcome any corrections to what I will say, but for now I will leave it at that.

Okay. Never mind about closing this thread then. Feel free to continue trying to figure out the most accurate tiering here.

To start, I'm certain that the way Ultima sees our written standards on this is not accurate and that they in term do a pretty sloppy work dealing with this matter, justifying Ultima to a degree.

There are many ways to interpret things in this kind of topics, I'm very sure that our standards followed how Reality-Fiction gaps were traditionally portrayed (how people on internet saw them 10 to 20 years ago) as a basis to interpret similar feats, which is a mistake as it used comicbook characters or other characters with immensely well-established worldbuilding mechanics that do deserve being Tier 1. So, as said before there are many ways to interpret different situations in this topics, and to apply math & dimensional tiering/a Reality-Fiction difference to "anything seen as fiction" is not correct because there are many way to see a reality as fiction;
  • there might be a Reality-Fiction difference,
  • the fiction may simply be its own reality/ies like alt. universes just as real as the so-called "Reality",
  • or the fiction may simply be its own reality/ies like alt. universes around as real as the so-called "Reality", minus some number of aspects that make them lesser (Smaller size, or even size while existing inside tiny objects, being easily manipulable, etc.) w/o there being a Reality-Fiction difference.
It depends on context and fictional works have a little bit of everything, as such, one cannot say that "seeing anything as fiction from reeality will always yield a Reality-Fiction difference" because that would look at all the cases where that didn't happen & claim that they don't apply for the reasons that make them impossible to apply, not becuase of their lack of worldbuilding to make their fiction being infinitely inferior to its reality. So no sh*t a case as vague as Undertale gets claimed to have a Reality-Fiction difference, it doesn't have clear evidence against that being the case, and some may take that as granting a Reality-Fiction difference, which is wrong.

Once again, this things are being claimed because that's how they're traditionally worked with rather than making the most logical sense.

To start, I'm certain that the way Ultima sees our written standards on this is not accurate and that they in term do a pretty sloppy work dealing with this matter, justifying Ultima to a degree.

Once again, this things are being claimed because that's how they're traditionally worked with rather than making the most logical sense.
I'll just point out one thing. Ultima did tell you to make a CRT to change the tiering system if you felt that it was inaccurate yet you never did and continue to impose your ideas that go against the current established tiering system. So, when are you actually going to make a CRT to change the flaw that you believe exists there instead of pointing out a flaw in the tiering system without doing anything more than that?

Last edited:
I am aware Ultima said that, and I argued right after it that the way Ultima sees our standards is not correct. There is no such thing as "impose your ideas" from my part, that would be Ultima in this case, hence those other profiles aren't Tier 1 and hence he never replied in any meaningful way when I brought up how the Reality Equalization page wouldn't allow the Player to be Tier 1. You are free to reply to the logic behind my last comment in the other thread here, and elaborate why you believe that I'm wrong there. It's simple; if I don't necessarily think our standards to be wrong, which I already expressed, then I don't obligatorily have to go and change them first, so you can't grab into that.

You are free to reply to the logic behind my last comment in the other thread here, and elaborate why you believe that I'm wrong there. It's simple; if I don't necessarily think our standards to be wrong, which I already expressed, then I don't obligatorily have to go and change them first, so you can't grab into that.
Throwing in my two cents here.

That from the Tiering System, now on the Tiering System FQA, again, "literal fiction" =/= any form of "fiction" portrayed in a verse, on the basis that not all forms of fiction in verses fit our criteria. "Literal fiction" most likely is a poorly worded way to say "the forms of fiction that fit our criteria for Reality-Fiction Transcendence, unlike the forms of fiction that do not".

You stated this. What you seem to be arguing is that Ultima's interpretation of the FAQ page is wrong and a result of poor wording on the FAQ page's part. But... he wrote the page? I'd say his interpretation holds a solid bit of ground over yours, considering he was the one who penned the words in the first place.

You can argue that he didn't get the point across clearly, but if he clarifies what he meant when writing down the FAQ, then you can't just say "well it most likely means this instead" when the literal author of the page (and thus the one who conveys it's meaning) says otherwise.

So, you are the one who has to contest the meaning of the page. Not Ultima.

There is no such thing as "impose your ideas" from my part, that would be Ultima in this case, hence those other profiles aren't Tier 1 and hence he never replied in any meaningful way when I brought up how the Reality Equalization page wouldn't allow the Player to be Tier 1
Your previous argument on the last thread is actually not really legible to me due to your sentence structure (no offense) but it seems to be saying that viewing something as fiction doesn't = a r>f difference all the time.

Which is alright, but in this scenario...

The world of Undertale is an infinite 4-D construct (via time being infinite by default), and the argument that the opposition besides Derp is proposing is that it's simply literal electrons/data.
This would be viewing an infinite 4-D construct as a finite 3-D object, thus indicating qualitative superiority, thus allowing it for tier 1.
The Reality Equalization page allows this because it treats Undertale as the "baseline reality". Which means it would be tier 2, and not tier 10. Being qualitatively superior to it is tier 1.

This is what is accepted, and also what is currently intended by the AUTHOR OF THE FAQ so you need to contest that logic. Ultima doesn't need to contest any standards because the standards he wrote do not agree with you.

Well, if Eficiente wants to modify our standards in a logical manner, he should probably send a private message with his suggestions to DontTalkDT and myself.

You stated this. What you seem to be arguing is that Ultima's interpretation of the FAQ page is wrong and a result of poor wording on the FAQ page's part. But... he wrote the page? I'd say his interpretation holds a solid bit of ground over yours, considering he was the one who penned the words in the first place.

You can argue that he didn't get the point across clearly, but if he clarifies what he meant when writing down the FAQ, then you can't just say "well it most likely means this instead" when the literal author of the page (and thus the one who conveys it's meaning) says otherwise.

So, you are the one who has to contest the meaning of the page. Not Ultima.
This is what is accepted, and also what is currently intended by the AUTHOR OF THE FAQ so you need to contest that logic.Ultima doesn't need to contest any standards because the standards he wrote do not agree with you.
The fact that he wrote the page doesn't exist in a vacuum, this is a very important page that affects the whole wiki and its content was evaluated and agreed on by many notable users to stay as it is. If the interpretation those users had on that bit isn't necessarily the same as the interpretation Ultima gives here then it doesn't mattar how he made the page, his interpretation would be incorrect. I concluded that, therefore I expressed that, which is something that can happen regardless of him being the one who made the page. I'm sure Ultima intended the same uses & mechanics for that wording the same day he first proposed it as he does now.
The world of Undertale is an infinite 4-D construct (via time being infinite by default), and the argument that the opposition besides Derp is proposing is that it's simply literal electrons/data.
This would be viewing an infinite 4-D construct as a finite 3-D object, thus indicating qualitative superiority, thus allowing it for tier 1.
  • The player is protrayed as some unknown, mysterious entity with unclear control over Frisk and time powers, with the player's obsession manifesting as a (self-proclaimed) demon that is a character in the game. It's not called the player in-game, it's portrayed simply as the function they saw them do, being an anomaly in the space-time continuum (Deltarune further backs this by portraying them as an esoteric being, and paranormal in a sense that doesn't require them at all to be Low 1-C). Undertale doesn't portray it as the anomaly living in an infinitely more complex world where the world of UT is simply electrons/data, it simply has it that the anomaly has strange powers and resources in a way similar to how a player would when playing a game, because that's part of their point. Also, the player can move on with their life in the pacifist end, that consecutive time for them being consecutive time the cast spends enjoying their happy ending, the player may even erase the game right after the pacifist end, as it is perfectly reasonable to do due to a Reset being bad for the beings it would be healthy for the anomaly to empathize with. Did you catch 2 issues with the last sentence? The "Low 1-C Player that exists outside Undertale" is reasonably erasing UT and society keeps moving on in Undertale. The (good version of the) Low 1-C real Player that is qualitatively superior to the fictional UT cares for Frisk and the monsters of the game emotionally on a real level to them, being morally called out for doing what should be normal & not bad for them, because if they abuse their powers this affects negatively real lives. The characters in UT are real to the anomaly, they are simply not real to us in reality.
  • If the infinite 4-D construct that is UT was a finite 3-D object, why would a being outside it be even larger still (1st take) rather than there really being an infinite 4-D construct in a finite 3-D object, with everything around it being just as 3-D (2nd take)? The math checks out in the 1st take and the player would be Low 1-C, but I don't find this to be the most logical. I don't see our rules as binding us to use the 1st take, so it's a manner of logic, and I see the 2nd take as taking the least amount of speculation, just like in other cases with better context I would agree that seeing an infinite 4-D construct as a finite 3-D object would be Low 1-C, and just like I would easily see how a big space inside a small space would only apply to itself, and not be telling to the size of everything else in the outside.
The Reality Equalization page allows this because it treats Undertale as the "baseline reality". Which means it would be tier 2, and not tier 10. Being qualitatively superior to it is tier 1.
Quoting myself from the upgrade thread, in which I believe I was sufficiently legible: "Even if the "player" had a transcendence like this over Undertale, why would the player be Low 1-C and Undertale as a whole Low 2-C rather than the player being just some regular human in stats and Undertale a fictional game? What makes Undertale real when the argument is that it portrays itself as a game/fiction? Reality Equalization could be used to validate calc's for the Undertale characters, but it wouldn't need to be used on the player to give them a Low 1-C stat."

"The world outside the baseline world would not have applied the same generosity the baseline world would to get for match-ups and their calcs validated. Sword Art Online, The Matrix and Yume Nikki are the examples the page gives and all have their real worlds with characters there with regular stats, not Low 1-C, because why would the "equalization" of reality reach there. Nothing would make natural and intuitive for the anomaly to be Low 1-C."

That is to say, let's say the premise of the upgrade is correct, ok, the player would not be Low 1-C as he would be as real as we are, whereas Undertale would be less real; Yes, Reality Equalization makes it so all Undertale profiles for monsters & humans and the calcs remain the same, there is no issue there, but the player would have regular human stats, they would not be Low 1-C. Similar to those other verses that use Reality Equalization.

Ultima's last reply to it was: "Not particularly familiar with our treatment of those three cases. I could hazard a guess that they either fall under the above clause in the Reality Equalization page, or that the "real" and "fake" worlds are equally prominent, story-wise, in a way that makes it impossible to treat one as transcendent over the other (I know this is the case in Matrix and Yume Nikki, at least, with the aforementioned tidbit in our article for RE applying especially to the former), but I'd be speaking out of turn here.

Since he seems to have written the Reality Equalization page to begin with, I suppose we could ask Saikou about it?"

But then that never happened on the thread, the thread was applied dismissing that issue and my discussion with Ultima.

Thank you for helping out, Eficiente.

So what do you think that we should do here, and why, in summary?

The fact that he wrote the page doesn't exist in a vacuum, this is a very important page that affects the whole wiki and its content was evaluated and agreed on by many notable users to stay as it is. If the interpretation those users had on that bit isn't necessarily the same as the interpretation Ultima gives here then it doesn't mattar how he made the page, his interpretation would be incorrect. I concluded that, therefore I expressed that, which is something that can happen regardless of him being the one who made the page. I'm sure Ultima intended the same uses & mechanics for that wording the same day he first proposed it as he does now.
I didn't know you can invoke Death of the Author on wiki policy pages to support your own point.

As far as I can tell, no notable changes have been made to that section of the page since Ultima wrote it, and he wrote these words on purpose to convey the information he speaks in this thread. Thus, it was accepted under his interpretation by multiple other staff members. You can't just invalidate the interpretation that was used when making the page to suit your own interpretation.

YOU are the one that has to change the standards to fit your interpretation, the page is already under Ultima's interpretation. Just disagreeing with the wording of the standards or the standards in general doesn't mean that they automatically correct to you.

The player is protrayed as some unknown, mysterious entity with unclear control over Frisk and time powers, with the player's obsession manifesting as a (self-proclaimed) demon that is a character in the game. It's not called the player in-game, it's portrayed simply as the function they saw them do, being an anomaly in the space-time continuum (Deltarune further backs this by portraying them as an esoteric being, and paranormal in a sense that doesn't require them at all to be Low 1-C).
This doesn't contradict anything, really. I think the argument for the Player is that it requires basic sense of storytelling to realize that the Player is a stand-in for you. But this is a lesser counterargument as there are far worse things wrong with your post than this.

Also, the player can move on with their life in the pacifist end, that consecutive time for them being consecutive time the cast spends enjoying their happy ending, the player may even erase the game right after the pacifist end, as it is perfectly reasonable to do due to a Reset being bad for the beings it would be healthy for the anomaly to empathize with. Did you catch 2 issues with the last sentence? The "Low 1-C Player that exists outside Undertale" is reasonably erasing UT and society keeps moving on in Undertale. The (good version of the) Low 1-C real Player that is qualitatively superior to the fictional UT cares for Frisk and the monsters of the game
The Player being able to move on with their life has no bearing on their ontology. The Player having an emotional attachment to UT characters has no bearing on their ontology. The UT world being able to exist without the Player has no bearing on their ontology.

You need actual points my dude. Nothing about this goes against a higher state of existence. You have a life outside of a book, you can have an attachment to characters in a book, and the book can exist without you.

If the infinite 4-D construct that is UT was a finite 3-D object, why would a being outside it be even larger still (1st take) rather than there really being an infinite 4-D construct in a finite 3-D object, with everything around it being just as 3-D (2nd take)? The math checks out in the 1st take and the player would be Low 1-C, but I don't find this to be the most logical. I don't see our rules as binding us to use the 1st take, so it's a manner of logic, and I see the 2nd take as taking the least amount of speculation, just like in other cases with better context I would agree that seeing an infinite 4-D construct as a finite 3-D object would be Low 1-C, and just like I would easily see how a big space inside a small space would only apply to itself, and not be telling to the size of everything else in the outside.
????????

A 4-D object cannot be "inside" a 3-D object without said 3-D object just being a representation for a higher layer of existence. Assuming that's what you're arguing, I can hardly tell.

Quoting myself from the upgrade thread, in which I believe I was sufficiently legible: "Even if the "player" had a transcendence like this over Undertale, why would the player be Low 1-C and Undertale as a whole Low 2-C rather than the player being just some regular human in stats and Undertale a fictional game? What makes Undertale real when the argument is that it portrays itself as a game/fiction? Reality Equalization could be used to validate calc's for the Undertale characters, but it wouldn't need to be used on the player to give them a Low 1-C stat."

"The world outside the baseline world would not have applied the same generosity the baseline world would to get for match-ups and their calcs validated. Sword Art Online, The Matrix and Yume Nikki are the examples the page gives and all have their real worlds with characters there with regular stats, not Low 1-C, because why would the "equalization" of reality reach there. Nothing would make natural and intuitive for the anomaly to be Low 1-C."

That is to say, let's say the premise of the upgrade is correct, ok, the player would not be Low 1-C as he would be as real as we are, whereas Undertale would be less real; Yes, Reality Equalization makes it so all Undertale profiles for monsters & humans and the calcs remain the same, there is no issue there, but the player would have regular human stats, they would not be Low 1-C. Similar to those other verses that use Reality Equalization.

Ultima's last reply to it was: "Not particularly familiar with our treatment of those three cases. I could hazard a guess that they either fall under the above clause in the Reality Equalization page, or that the "real" and "fake" worlds are equally prominent, story-wise, in a way that makes it impossible to treat one as transcendent over the other (I know this is the case in Matrix and Yume Nikki, at least, with the aforementioned tidbit in our article for RE applying especially to the former), but I'd be speaking out of turn here.

Since he seems to have written the Reality Equalization page to begin with, I suppose we could ask Saikou about it?"

But then that never happened on the thread, the thread was applied dismissing that issue and my discussion with Ultima.
Lucky for you, I did ask Saikou about it. Let me quote him.

"anyway the difference is that those verses very clearly establish the real world as being made out of regular humans
they aren't treated as being transcendent being with control over the virtual world
tiering them as if that was the case is silly

but UT's player is seen and treated exclusively from the perspective of the in-game characters
We don't even really knows what the player is like from their perspective, just that the characters sees this entity as this weird thing beyond the scope of the game"

"We never see anything written or shown from the player's perspective
It makes no sense to tier it that way

It's like making DC Writer Tier 10-B or some shit
the Writer's role as the top god of DC is a lot more important and central to it
than as some dude in the real world"

Note that Saikou doesn't agree with tier 1 UT, so no bias here. Just asking him in the theoretical.

To rephrase it, it's a matter of perspective. The Player is treated as a being that exists outside of the game, not a normal human. In SAO, the real world is established to be made out of normal people without any form of transcendence or control. Thus, they get tiered as such.

The Player is treated as a mysterious figure outside of the game, thus we would tier it as such and not 10-B.

Well, I personally wouldn't mind a bit stricter standards to prevent greatly exaggerated tiers based on unreliable premises, but it is probably best if you talk with DontTalk in private about the issue.

I didn't know you can invoke Death of the Author on wiki policy pages to support your own point.

As far as I can tell, no notable changes have been made to that section of the page since Ultima wrote it, and he wrote these words on purpose to convey the information he speaks in this thread. Thus, it was accepted under his interpretation by multiple other staff members. You can't just invalidate the interpretation that was used when making the page to suit your own interpretation.

YOU are the one that has to change the standards to fit your interpretation, the page is already under Ultima's interpretation. Just disagreeing with the wording of the standards or the standards in general doesn't mean that they automatically correct to you.
Your view of the matter is wrong, and apparently oppressive. Anyone can "invoke Death of the Author on wiki policy pages" just like anyone can "invoke Death of the Author" in anything serious (like law on the word "Alter" to mean "change its functionality" but not destruction, to give a random example I like). They simply need to believe to be correct and have their reasons for it. I have that, regardless of how you disagree with my reasons. In any context like this the interpretation of the person who wrote the rules in question doesn't matter, because it had to be reviewed & agreed on by more people who would also be authority. You cannot claim that just because Ultima's interpretation is X, all of those other people's interpretation is X too rather than Z because you don't know that. You cannot claim that accepting that standard had to mean accepting that same interpretation of that standard because that is dogmatic, as such in this context it doesn't matter how he explains what that interpretation is.

I hope that was clear enough, and I don't like those misleading confrontational edges you give to this; the "to support your own point" and "You can't just invalidate the interpretation that was used when making the page to suit your own interpretation." are quite the way to word it, this is far more common than that. It doesn't need to be said, but I'm not doing anything villainous, I believe what I say, so of course I'm gonna support it, disagreeing with someone's take on a rule would mean invalidate their interpretation of it, interpreting a more logical take can be said to be "the take of the person who brought it up", but it was always there to begin with.
This doesn't contradict anything, really. I think the argument for the Player is that it requires basic sense of storytelling to realize that the Player is a stand-in for you. But this is a lesser counterargument as there are far worse things wrong with your post than this.

The Player being able to move on with their life has no bearing on their ontology. The Player having an emotional attachment to UT characters has no bearing on their ontology. The UT world being able to exist without the Player has no bearing on their ontology.

You need actual points my dude. Nothing about this goes against a higher state of existence. You have a life outside of a book, you can have an attachment to characters in a book, and the book can exist without you.
I take all the things the player has going for as too many oxymorons for a Low 1-C being, all the reasons that would make them reach that level and see UT as fiction (which are intuitive, and not stated in an objective way) don't care about about all the reasons that would make it intuitive for them to not see UT as fiction in the way a Low 1-C should. I know other Low 1-C characters can have those points I said and still be Low 1-C, but I take that that's due to their better context to be at that level, and not because those points wouldn't matter on their own. Nor do I take the things the player has going for as good enough on their own anyway.
????????

A 4-D object cannot be "inside" a 3-D object without said 3-D object just being a representation for a higher layer of existence. Assuming that's what you're arguing, I can hardly tell.
That can happen just like a Low 1-C being can exist, it's fiction.
Lucky for you, I did ask Saikou about it. Let me quote him.

"anyway the difference is that those verses very clearly establish the real world as being made out of regular humans
they aren't treated as being transcendent being with control over the virtual world
tiering them as if that was the case is silly

but UT's player is seen and treated exclusively from the perspective of the in-game characters
We don't even really knows what the player is like from their perspective, just that the characters sees this entity as this weird thing beyond the scope of the game"

"We never see anything written or shown from the player's perspective
It makes no sense to tier it that way

It's like making DC Writer Tier 10-B or some shit
the Writer's role as the top god of DC is a lot more important and central to it
than as some dude in the real world"

Note that Saikou doesn't agree with tier 1 UT, so no bias here. Just asking him in the theoretical.

To rephrase it, it's a matter of perspective. The Player is treated as a being that exists outside of the game, not a normal human. In SAO, the real world is established to be made out of normal people without any form of transcendence or control. Thus, they get tiered as such.

The Player is treated as a mysterious figure outside of the game, thus we would tier it as such and not 10-B.
That settles it then, but that still means that if the player was Low 1-C (which I still disagree with), their profile would need to state that it uses Reality Equalization for it, given the Reality Equalization page's rules.

That can happen just like a Low 1-C being can exist, it's fiction.
Maybe in a weird sci-fi verse that happens, but we wouldn't default to that. We tend to default to basic physics (which would imply qualitative superiority) over a weird esoteric concept like that.

We would default to seeing an infinite 4-D object as 3-D to it being qualitative superiority, not that it's a literal universe shoved inside a 3-Dimensional electron. That is logically impossible. You need to prove fiction defies the impossible, otherwise we should default to what's possible.
I take all the things the player has going for as too many oxymorons for a Low 1-C being, all the reasons that would make them reach that level and see UT as fiction (which are intuitive, and not stated in an objective way) don't care about about all the reasons that would make it intuitive for them to not see UT as fiction in the way a Low 1-C should. I know other Low 1-C characters can have those points I said and still be Low 1-C, but I take that that's due to their better context to be at that level, and not because those points wouldn't matter on their own. Nor do I take the things the player has going for as good enough on their own anyway.
They aren't oxymorons though? What? None of the concepts that you brought up are contradictory to the Player being on a higher level of existence to Undertale. You need to prove a contradiction before claiming there is one.

Your view of the matter is wrong, and apparently oppressive. Anyone can "invoke Death of the Author on wiki policy pages" just like anyone can "invoke Death of the Author" in anything serious (like law on the word "Alter" to mean "change its functionality" but not destruction, to give a random example I like). They simply need to believe to be correct and have their reasons for it. I have that, regardless of how you disagree with my reasons. In any context like this the interpretation of the person who wrote the rules in question doesn't matter, because it had to be reviewed & agreed on by more people who would also be authority. You cannot claim that just because Ultima's interpretation is X, all of those other people's interpretation is X too rather than Z because you don't know that. You cannot claim that accepting that standard had to mean accepting that same interpretation of that standard because that is dogmatic, as such in this context it doesn't matter how he explains what that interpretation is.
And I can claim that other people who accepted the page agreed with Ultima's interpretation since he was the one who wrote them down and applied it to the wiki. If he didn't get other people to accept the policy then the page wouldn't be accepted in the first place. Staff members wouldn't apply changes that they didn't agree upon. That's the literal entire point of the wiki.

The process goes:
-> User brings up their interpretation of feat/statement/policy
-> Other users agree or disagree with the policy. The interpretation is changed to fit upon said claims and counterarguments until a commonly agreed one comes up.
-> The interpretation is applied and treated as official.

Do you think it was added without any agreement on his interpretation? If Ultima had that amount of power, he would be doing a lot more changes than just this R>F nonsense.

So you either need to prove that
A. Ultima's accepted interpretation was not actually accepted.
B. Your interpretation is better and thus should supersede the currently accepted interpretation.

It is not up to HIM to change the system that he already agrees with and that he got other people to agree to too. It is up to YOU to point out the flaws in this interpretation and change the page accordingly. You are one person, you have to get other people to agree with you in order to do a sufficient change in the interpretation that the original user wrote down.

I hope that was clear enough, and I don't like those misleading confrontational edges you give to this; the "to support your own point" and "You can't just invalidate the interpretation that was used when making the page to suit your own interpretation." are quite the way to word it, this is far more common than that. It doesn't need to be said, but I'm not doing anything villainous, I believe what I say, so of course I'm gonna support it, disagreeing with someone's take on a rule would mean invalidate their interpretation of it, interpreting a more logical take can be said to be "the take of the person who brought it up", but it was always there to begin with.
I'm not saying you're specifically doing anything malicious, but you simply can't disregard Ultima's interpretation in favor of your own without altering the page to support your own interpretation.

So, by all means, do that. Make a thread and alter the FAQ, I'm not holding that against you.

However, you need to be the one to make that change, not Ultima. When the author of the page says that the statement is supposed to mean X, and you say this:

That from the Tiering System, now on the Tiering System FQA, again, "literal fiction" =/= any form of "fiction" portrayed in a verse, on the basis that not all forms of fiction in verses fit our criteria. "Literal fiction" most likely is a poorly worded way to say "the forms of fiction that fit our criteria for Reality-Fiction Transcendence, unlike the forms of fiction that do not".
This is you putting your interpretation on the page which differs from what is already agreed upon (since you straight up said that it probably meant something else and worded it badly). Ultima says that it wasn't worded badly and that's what he intended,
So, change it so it agrees with you, don't just assume it agrees with you automatically (when it doesn't).

Last edited:
Well, I can reply to that, and I will if I have to, but I'm pretty sure that keep this bit up would be more of the same, and since I'm sure that I was clear enough on what I said I would like to see what more people make out of this.

Admittedly I have juggled with my thoughts on what the player's current tiering is, I do not believe the player is low 1-C at the moment, although not by the points brought up by the OP, but because of the ambiguity of the player's nature. The player entity that represents the player shouldn't be assumed to translate to the literal player behind the screen, and given how we lack extra evidence for what the player entity is, we cant entirely be sure what its nature is, and whatnot.

My opinion on this can be swayed however, so I am actually going to stay neutral leaning towards agree for now, I will keep a close eye on this.
Wanted to expand on what I meant here.

I very much agree with the fact of viewing a 4-D structure as nothing more than fiction is a R/F difference, admittedly I didn't think that was much of a problem in the first place. My problems with the tier come from the fact that I don't think there is enough info on the entity to come to the conclusion that there's a R/F Difference here. If I remember correctly, all we know of the player entity's nature is that it is presumably some entity in the space-time continuum (although I feel the player being the anomaly sans is referring to is also rather arguable), and the entity being unaffected by chara's destruction of the game world can be seen as it existing outside of said game world. I don't think this alone is enough for such a rating, correct me if im wrong but an entity being outside of a 4D construct wouldn't have to mean that the being is ontologically superior to the 4D construct, and the 'anomaly in the space-time continuum' line I don't think really brings much to the table for the R/F interpretation either. My vote remains pretty much the same though of course, but I hope my current thoughts and suspicions on the topic have been made more clear.

Last edited:

I very much agree with the fact of viewing a 4-D structure as nothing more than fiction is a R/F difference, admittedly I didn't think that was much of a problem in the first place. My problems with the tier come from the fact that I don't think there is enough info on the entity to come to the conclusion that there's a R/F Difference here. If I remember correctly, all we know of the player entity's nature is that it is presumably some entity in the space-time continuum (although I feel the player being the anomaly sans is referring to is also rather arguable), and the entity being unaffected by chara's destruction of the game world can be seen as it existing outside of said game world. I don't think this alone is enough for such a rating, correct me if im wrong but an entity being outside of a 4D construct wouldn't have to mean that the being is ontologically superior to the 4D construct, and the 'anomaly in the space-time continuum' line I don't think really brings much to the table for the R/F interpretation either. My vote remains pretty much the same though of course, but I hope my current thoughts and suspicions on the topic have been made more clear.
I agree with this atm

So what are the conclusions here so far?
I personally wouldn't mind a bit stricter standards to prevent greatly exaggerated tiers based on unreliable premises, but it is probably best if you talk with DontTalk in private about the issue.
Also, @Eficiente .

Last edited:

TFW HDE will die as well

My brother in website, you can't apply something that hasn't been finished as far as kita is concerned, oui?
It was accepted, and only Ultima disagrees up to now. So no, it'll only be reverted once is totally rejected from the previous staff who has agreed before.

Which is unlikely as probably even its HDE will be removed but eh.

It was accepted, and only Ultima disagrees up to now. So no, it'll only be reverted once is totally rejected from the previous staff who has agreed before.

Which is unlikely as probably even its HDE will be removed but eh.
...Have they been asked twice? We don't think only a single response from each staff 3 WEEKS ago is considered plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back