• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fllflourine

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
Special thanks to Saikou for helping me with this.

Conceptual Gods and Yukari
From Curiosities in Lotus Asia Chapter 15. Rinnosuke describes what a "name" is:
"In the beginning, nothing in this world had a name. It was a world in which all things were mixed together in chaos. However, the gods in those ancient times gave a name to every last thing, and so the orderly world we see today was born. When naming something, a new border is created that makes it recognizable as one thing. You could say that the power to name is the creation to produce the object from nothingness, clearly the same power as a god's. And because of the strength of this power, the things themselves remember their names. And that's why I can see those names in them."

"When his name changed to Takemikazuchi, he changed from a god of sorcery (as implied by the 'pot' character) to a god of swordsmanship (implied by the 'thunder' character). By changing its name, a god changes its nature"

"Not having a name means that this animal wasn't distincted from others; it just blended in with the world. You couldn't say it was stone, bone, soil or animal; it just was. It was something close to a god's original form."

An object's name defines what it is. It defines its characteristics. An object without a "name" can still exist, but it doesn't exist as anything sensible. It just is. The world before names existed was pure chaos with no distinction between each others, while giving names to things made them fully separate entities from each others. This implies that by giving a "name" to something, you create the concept of said thing.

This has two implications for Gods and possibly one for Yukari. As stated above, Gods were the first one to name everything. Thus, they have limited Conceptual Manipulation in the form of creating concepts. This is specifically stated to be a power of the gods. Secondly, it is also mentioned that gods existed before they started to name things, and most of them existed as nameless things without identity. As they precede concepts and can exist without it (in fact a lot of them do not even have concepts even to this day), this means that they shall gain resistance against Conceptual Manipulation.

For Yukari, the "border" mentioned by Rinnosuke is very similar to the Borders being able to be manipulated by Yukari. This would imply that Yukari can mess with the border of the things defined by their concepts, implying conceptual manipulation.
Low Godly Youkai (And other Youkai Shenanigans)
It is stated that not only do Youkai possess high levels of Regenerationn, that it is the point where even physical weapons of any kind are useless against them, requiring spiritual weaponry to be efficient. Additionally, it's stated that the core of a youkai, is not their physical body but their "mind".
Not only this, but most youkai don't show fear of death, since they will simply be "reborn", and if they can't, they'll turn into a phantom, further supporting the idea that physical damage is nearly useless against youkai. This would mean that, barring Rinnosuke, all youkai (Even Patchy and Alice) and half youkai (In this case, Keine and Kagerou) receive Low-Godly Regenerationn against physical attacks.

This would also apply to the beast youkai, as despite their difficulty regenerating their bodies if they're destroyed, they can still do so. Difficult =/= Impossible.

However, the only person that's shown Regenerationn even to spiritual attacks, is the vampires. They will remain Low High in terms of spiritual Regenerationn.

Low-High spiritual regen for Remi (and her sister), and Low-Godly physical for all the Youkai.

Finally, it should be noted a lack of faith or fear won't instantly kill a youkai, since it seems they'd grow weaker/hungry over time, and eventually starve, so it is not applicable in direct combat.
Mindhax Resistance and Moon Shenanigans
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be somethin' up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more mind-blowin' than that. You can almost never see the real moon, 'cause its appearance is deadly to humans. You can only see the moon's reflection. And the things that make reflections, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? So since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, all you gotta do is tear the heavens apart!"
In Bohemian Archive in Japanese Archive, Suika talks about the True Moon, and how humans are not able to look at it due to the known lunacy it emits. However, for Suika, this is not the case. Since Oni arean't that much different from other youkai (aside from strength), and other youkai (like Alice, Yukari, and Remilia) have displayed this feat before, all Youkai, including the magicians, would get resistance to mind manipulation (Literally, youkai will hold festivals on Full Moon days).

In Imperishable Night, all of the playable teams are able to gaze at the true Moon when Eirin unveiled it without going nuts. This scales to them too. Remilia, Yuyuko, and Youmu, all of whom don't seem to have it.

Additionally, those from the Lunar Capital literally live on the True Moon without any adverse effects. So all the Lunarians and such scale as well.
Protag Soul Manipulation
The TD protags, after killing enemies, are able to collect Divine Spirits (and kill spirits/phantoms) for various uses, such as Trance. This gives all of them a minor degree of soul manipulation. In DDC and LoLK, the feat can also be done, as spirits (or in this case phantoms) appear in those games too, so Sakuya and Reisen receive this ability too.
Eirin is a god
Although her IN profile says that she is a Lunarian, Eirin might actually be a god. Not only is it implied that she is Omoikane, but it is stated (such as in this interview: "My thought is that the Lunar Capital is where the highest, noblest gods live. On the other hand, Gensokyo is where the more friendly, indigenous gods live. I figured that there are factions even among gods. Eirin is one of them, which is why she isn't interacting with the other humans after she moved to Gensokyo."), that she is indeed, a deity.
Although this seems to be disputed, seeing as her IN profile states that she is Lunarian in species, but this could be a retcon (Or simply her demonym). So, I propose this be added to her powers/abilites:

Likely has: Non-Corporeal and Duplication, Immortality (Types 4 in addition to 1 and 3), Limited Conceptual Manipulation and Resistance to it.
To summarize:

• All gods will receive limited Conceptual Manipulation and Resistance to it. Yukari's limited concept manipulation will get bumped up to full blown Concept.
  • Remilia and Flandre keep Low High regen to spiritual attacks; all Youkai and Keine and Kagerou will receive Low Godly to physical attacks.
  • All youkai, and playable characters in Imperishable Night, as well as those from the Lunar Capital will receive resistance to mind manipulation.
  • The playable characters of TD, DDC, and LoLK (Reimu, Marisa, Sanae, Youmu, Sakuya, Reisen) receive Soul manipulation.
Yay: 10 (Saikou The Lewd King, SchroKatze, LuckyEmile, Promestein, Theglassman12, The real cal howard, Matthew Schroeder, KinkiestSins, Magi RobloxG, Aeyu)

Nay:

Regarding Youkai stuff:

Though it certainly is Non-Corporeality, we're not 100% sure if this would warrant Low-Godly or just stay as Non-Corporeal, but I'd rather go with Low-Godly

Conceptual Gods and Yukari: Hmm, sounds fair enough to be, and it makes sense for Yukari to be involved, so... Yay for this section

Low Godly Youkai: Haha, at first I thought you were saying the were gods!! But no, after reading, I see exactly what you mean, and it makes sense... so.... Yay for this section to

Mindhax Resistance: Hmm, the true moon thing comes from the idea of lunacy (there is a reason a lunatic sounds like "lunar") and it's the real name for the Dark Side of the Moon in Touhou... but, I feel it's more a "if seen from Earth" type thing due to the context. I might be wrong, but I don't think living on that side of the Moon, then looking at the ground counts as looking at the True Moon in that sense. As for the True Moon in imperisable Nights... are we sure it means as in the Dark Side, or as in the actual moon as opposed to the fake moon from that game? Not too sure with this one, but I'm not going to rush into a Nay.

Protag Soul Manipulation: But.... SCR = no killing, it's more getting rid of a stock. I'd go in detail, but... it might end up being no use, so I'll save everyone's time there. Being able to affect them and use them for stuff, however, could work, so... Yay, but not to the killing side.

Eirin God: Just seems plain and simple, really. Yay.

It was specifically stated that they were looking at the madness-inducing moon though.

No such things as "stocks" though, especially not for random phantoms who would die soon anyway.

I mean, they still live on the True Moon and yet suffer no adverse effects. In the past, they were also able to migrate to the True Moon to establish the Lunar Capital.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
It was specifically stated that they were looking at the madness-inducing moon though.

Ah, then good, that's acceptable.

Fllflourine said:
I mean, they still live on the True Moon and yet suffer no adverse effects. In the past, they were also able to migrate to the True Moon to establish the Lunar Capital.

I don't know, due to the context, I feel like it's only looking at it from Earth/a distance, so I don't think it's enough just to live there an have no adverse affects, but... I suppose travelling to there would require a distance, so I guess that would be fair enough.

Mindhax Reistance: Yay, due to above arguments.

Everything seems fine to me (several characters already have Resistance to Mind Manipulation for seeing the true Moon, so), though I am uncertain with the Low-Godly Regenerationn. It's certainly Non-Corporeal, but I don't know about Low-Godly. Physical damage being useless doesn't mean they can regenerate from just their spirits, just that they need to be damaged spiritually to harm, because they're spiritual beings. Non-Corporeal, not Low-Godly regen unless there's something explicit.

Junko will also have more specific Conceptual Manipulation this way, since her power returns to things to the state they were at before they had names.

Pretty sure the moon stuff sounds more like illusions rather than mind hax, but other than that, you have my full agreeement.

^ Well, its stated that the Moon drives people mad by several sources, which could only mean mindhax. The fake moons an illusion, but the true moon is the true moon.

@Prom Non-Corporeal and Low Godly is the same, except one actually has a body to regenerate. PMISS talks of their and the beast youkai's capacity for regenerating.

CoreOfimBalance(COB) said:
Absolutely iffy about this... Especially goddess Eirin and the not weak to physical attacks part for youkais.
So close without a single dissenting opinion.

SO CLOSE.

(Allright, I shall wait patiently for a counter argument and either agree with saikou, matt, prom etc or write my own lul, more likely the first one)

Upgrades already started tho, no stopping the t r a i n

Legit though a one-liner without arguments isn't going to go against 10 agreements of practically everyone else.

Nah was joking tbh ovo There's gotta be that one nay, be a rebel and all

Trying to think of any counterarguments but there's really nothing. Though I don't think everyone in IN would get the mindhax if our argument is that "they looked at the moon once". Better off using Reisen as a comparison imo.

Trying to think of any counterarguments but there's really nothing. Though I don't think everyone in IN would get the mindhax if our argument is that "they looked at the moon once". Better off using Reisen as a comparison imo.
I was baited lul.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Upgrades already started tho, no stopping the t r a i n
Legit though a one-liner without arguments isn't going to go against 10 agreements of practically everyone else.
can never stop that train ovo

Well everyone not only looked at the moon but nearly everyone pointed out the fact that they were looking at the insanity-inducing moon.

Now I got 11 pages of profiles to edit so don't distract me further ovo

^ Now enough with those cringey ovo's

Or I'll replace them all with woa's

Well, I does feel abit iffy about Eirin's God status. Implying that even God on her scale could be affected by the Elixir of Immortality (and thus, Kaguya's Eternity Manipulation) aside...There're more evident pointing her to be a Lunarian than a Shinto god, tbh.

Edit: Also, Yukari Concept upgrade is good and all, but she still doesn't control all of them, as we see it. So what the point for this upgrade again?

1. Which is why its only a possibly on her profile.

2. Yukari's boundary manipulation > The conceptual manipulation of most gods.

Yukari's boundary manipulation is more potent than the ability to give names of the gods. Plus, its actually combat applicable.

So you're saying that all the spell card she have been giving out is actually being applicable in thing outside of spellcard? Or is it that she could finally done thing outside of the spellcard she give out?

It's just already more impressive imo. It's on that high of a level to be considered equal to conceptual manip. Considering the numerous citations already imprinted and hype.

I don't get what you're trying to say here, a lot of spellcards are basically the character's power toned down for Spellcard Fighting purposes, so Yukari should be able to manipulate those boundaries in addition to others.

Please consult this blog post as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back