• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Top 10 verses with most complex/hardest to understand lore

I'd say WoD is likely rather complex giving that RPGs and table-top games tend to get their own expansive universes.

By technically, Kajiri Kamui Kagara is the most complex verse because extremely few people here can actually read it. Therefore understanding of it is limited to those people and those who parrot them, which isn't really true understanding.

I think we should differentiate between having a lot of lore, and having confusing lore. I would say something like Twin Peaks is genuinely hard to understand, where as something like Warhammer you could theoretically build a somewhat complete model if you """just""" read all the works in the series. Granted, the latter does have a lot of mysteries that are intentionally left open to interpretation, so it isn't that easy, it just isn't as complicated as something like the Elder Scrolls unless you are talking about shit like the true nature of Chaos

I agree with Iapitus. Complex =/= confusing. That's "complicated".

Confusing lore is bad. Complex lore is generally good.

I believe that with what people is looking for here is an story that is entertaining and intriguing but yet unable to be fully understood in a first read; then for a second (or more) run, makes people think "oh yeah, that has sense, that explain x, wow, guess this makes it even more interesting".

Generally don't follow that kinda of stories, as the boundary between complex and messy is thin, but a verse that made be feel something like that was Legacy of Kain, plus it has s ties voice acting.

The King of Fighters.

The lore itself isn't that hard to figure out if you know everything, but finding everything is the issue. Tons of lore is in Japan-exclusive games that only have fan translations in Spanish, not English. You need to be bilingual or have a friend who is just to get all of the information.

tfw Digimo is a category here....

I mean, tbh, the Digimon lore is not really complex or that confusing compared to other verses I've seen on this site. It just so happens that Digimon Lore is being thrown at the fans all of a sudden afters years of being basically unknown or not really thought about. Of course much of the lore is hidden in Japan only stuff that's only now being translated but I digress.

This is most complexe/hardest to understand lore, not longest book, book series, another language, official or fan translation, who can read it or not, who can aquire it or not, etc.

I think this should be like if all these series, books, games, etc could be obtined by all people in any language they want and then decide which one is the most complexe/hardest to understand. Otherwise, someone can just say a fiction from a forgotten language that only he understand resulting it in just him being able to read making it the most complexe and/or hardest to understand.

I'll do a small solid and throw Naruto a bone here for complexity. It doesn't come close to being anywhere near this list, but for a shounen, it's probably got the most complex lore of the relevant ones.

The real cal howard said:
I'll do a small solid and throw Naruto a bone here for complexity. It doesn't come close to being anywhere near this list, but for a shounen, it's probably got the most complex lore of the relevant ones.
What complex lore? I'm genuinely confused here lol.

I mean, from the Kaguya stuff to the present, with the world wars, the Madara/Hashirama stuff, and all the other behind the scenes and flashback stuff, it's probably the most complex of the shounen, even the good shounen like YYH and FMA.

That didn't really answer my question. Like what part of the lore is "complex"?

From my time reading Naruto and Boruto I personally never saw anything that really made me think about it really in terms of lore.

I mean its not nearly as complex as other stuff in the thread, but the overarching plot with each villain, hero and hidden heros makes it quite a bit more complex than most and novels keep expanding it.

Dragon Emperor is apart of Boruto and we don't even have a clear understanding what that even is. Urashiki just vanishes before explaining it as well as Toneri.

Next we got Kara. Most Boruto fans don't realize that Kashin Koji hinted at something big. Kara is bigger than just inner and Outers. KK states Kara has Elders in it who most likely have more rank than Jigen. He even said he wants to turn them to ashes.

Next we got things like Mitsuki and anything related to his sage mode is a huge mystery to the plot of Boruto.

Next Lord Jashin who still has a cult in Boruto. We still don't know what exactly is Jashin. He is supposed to be a god and we know even know where he is from. Is he an Otsutsuki? Is he an Alien?

What about the demons from the time when Hag was alive and wondering around the world. There are demon like things in the series.

Next we Polar Particles coming from space which plays a huge role in the plot for Hag and Naruto himself. Like a mysterious power/cure that comes from space. Dinosaurs/Dragons being apart of the world 3000 years ago or millions if I remember correctly.

These dragons which maybe connected to Mitsuki. Orochimaru who studied these strange beasts. I'm not even going to explain the Otsutsuki clan because they are entirely a mystery. Especially with something that was hinted in the first episodes of Boruto 2 or 3 years ago which may play a huge role for the plot at the ending arcs of the series

The series is incredibly interesting with Boruto explaining it and moving it different directions all the time. Always questions to ask.

I'd disagree as well. It depends on you think complex lore is with shonen series

What I like most about the lore of Naruto is that stuff from part 1 Naruto which is forgotten about is brought back up in Boruto.

The lore around the sage roads and everyone who has a contract with them. We only got introduced to a couple of them. Think there were only 5 peolle who were contracted to them. We know 4 or 3 of them already but the 5th may have been revealed in Boruto.

Most peolle don't understand Naruto's lore because they don't read any of the light novels at all.

One novel I recommend is Sasuke Jinraiden which explains what happened with Itachi's eyes. Other stuff in it but I don't want to spoil it.

With how contradictory Naruto's lore can get, I'd say One Piece beats it in terms of the sheer volume of backstory and lore within it's world.

Tbh there isn't too much stuff in Naruto that's is contradicted. Retcons might happen but they fix things instead of messing stuff up

ChocomilkAlex said:
With how contradictory Naruto's lore can get, I'd say One Piece beats it in terms of the sheer volume of backstory and lore within it's world.
I mean it wasnt meant to be a competition lol.

Seventy has not replied or edited anything since the creation of the thread.

He likely doesn't care or is too busy.

Kwonto96 said:
Gundam have different stories, each of which are fairly good standalone stories. Even the arguably "bad" ones like Gundam Seed and Gundam Age.

And they are easy to understand compared to more complex super robot franchises.

Like Valvrave the Liberator, Buddy Complex, Darling in the Franxx, Cross Ange (ditto)

Ah does Demonbane count as a super robot verse?

Evangelion is also a complex mecha verse, probably the most complex i know. Yeah, Demonbane counts as a robot verse, i think.

Back