• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Top 10 verses with most complex/hardest to understand lore

I support FNAF as complicated.

I at least know the general direction of the Doctor Who verse if I read every single material.

...It really isn't though. I can follow the plot of Rick and Morty fine. Way more easily than Metal Gear at any rate.

I would say Horizon In The Middle of Nowhere is within the top 3.

The lore and backstory is so convoluted that its almost impossible for most readers to actually grasp it all.

To give you an idea of how bad it is, the first light novel alone is actually longer then the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy books put together.

And that's just with the very first volume! If you add together the other books from the authors verses (which some are directly or even indirectly connected), then it pretty much holds the top spot for the most confusing, complex and paradoxical franchise in anime.

It also doesn't technically fit into any actual genre role for a light novel/anime series.

Just try and read the first volume and actually manage to make sense of it.

Drakengard Nier? Btw, i don't think scp counts, because the problem with SCP is the lack of a canon for everything, not the size, complexity, etc.

Alright, I'll make a case for SCP.

Let's start with the close to 5000 individual SCP articles. Some easy to digest like 173. Others have format screws and confusing storytelling methods you only pick up after getting familiar with the site.

There's also the terminology like Pataphysics, Narratives, Noosphere, Memetics, etc.

There are also the different departments dealing with different areas of study, like the memetics department which deals with mind altering and informational anomalies, the Pataphysics department which deals with narrative anomalies and anomalies that deal with the Foundation being fictional, the ethics committee who polices the Foundation and makes sure what they are doing is humane, the O5 Council who make all the big decisions of the Foundation, etc.

The dozens of Mobile Task Forces also have lore and their own material you can read up on. Both recurring and one off.

We haven't even touched the areas outside the Foundation. There are tons of groups of interest with their own lore, terminology, and mechanics. Church of the Broken God, Scarkism, S.A.P.P.H.I.R.E., Church of the Second Hytoth, Gamers Against Weed, just to name a few. Each GoI has their own agendas and you get to see their stories through both the eyes of the Foundation, and thier own.

Just to cement how complex SCP as a verse is, I'll just drop you this small part of it. It's a 4 part epic written by one user that incorporates many different SCPs that you need to have background knowledge on to enhance your reading experience.

Pretty sure Elder Scrolls surpasses SCP in complexity. They have their own language after all.

Yeah it's hard to define complexity when it comes to lore. Like some verses are more complex in their content (History, languages etc) others have complex cosmologies and idea's (Unique physics/Cosmology)

Wokistan said:
Lovecraft's own stuff isn't that bad, though it is numerous. Throwing in things other people wrote however...
Considering how FanofRPGs recently expanded canon to include six authors which means that the infinite multiverse hierarchy shown in Kull, the Valusian Tales, other Great Old Ones and the Gates are now part of the Mythos proper I think it should make the list (at least take the 8th or 9th spot).

Elder Scrolls (too many information to digest), Kingdom Hearts (very confusing lore if you read the secret reports), Metal Gear (not that complex compare to wheel of time and elder scroll but it still up there), Wheel of Time (over 1,000 characters and many plots revolving, too much information to digest)

First place is probably a tie between TES, SCP, maybe ErGenverse, and who else? 2nd is Twin Peaks, SMT and Doctor Who.

TES is undoubtedly the most complex on the wiki. Especially cosmology and metaphysics wise let alone actually lore on characters. I don't know if it has the most lore though.

Planck69 said:
Wokistan said:
Lovecraft's own stuff isn't that bad, though it is numerous. Throwing in things other people wrote however...
Considering how FanofRPGs recently expanded canon to include six authors which means that the infinite multiverse hierarchy shown in Kull, the Valusian Tales, other Great Old Ones and the Gates are now part of the Mythos proper I think it should make the list (at least take the 8th or 9th spot).
When is that revision taking place?

Verses with complex cosmologies and idea's should automatically trump any verse with lots of content.

Considering Elderscrolls has both I think it's probably safe to put it as number 1 for now.

Given that Real Life is verse here, the vast majority of which is unknown, it's clearly no. 1.

Masada lore isn't complex.

And the fact that no one has said Wh40k, Star Wars, or Tolkien irritates me. While not difficult to understand, they are certainly some of the lore-depth verses out there.

Sera EX said:
And the fact that no one has said Wh40k, Star Wars, or Tolkien irritates me. While not difficult to understand, they are certainly some of the lore-depth verses out there.
We have tho

Yeah like if you're more experienced with cosmology stuff. It's likely that if you just got on a Warhammer Blog and read it you'd understand it first read. With TES it's much different, like to fully understand it you'd need a lot of outside reading. Then TES has a long history in-verse though not as long as Warhammer.

I would like to put Marvel and DC, but because of the either self-contradicting or self-rebooting nature, is sort of hard to put as "complex" instead of unnecesarly complicated.

Neither are unnecessarily complicated. Both Marvel and DC (especially the latter) have complicated continuity and cosmology (hence worldbuiling). Not lore. Lore is just the backstory or background of a verse (the word literally comes from the word "folklore" after all). Their lore is complex yet simple to understand.

For example, I was going to say Kingdom Hearts, but KH has relatively simple lore, but exceedingly complicated chronology.

Back