• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tier for shaking a courthouse or building

I see this in a lot of cartoons and other series. Where someone quakes the building they are in. From average size to even larger scale like a courthouse. This feat as well specifically.

When Phoenix Shakes the courthouse with enough force it breaks a stand. And is a common thing to do in the anime of shaking the courthouse. However this is the best of their quake feats. (The rest just violently shake the area. And it does shake the entire building shown with Von Karma who shook it enough it showed an outside view of the courtroom shaking as well)

Seriously? That high? That's immensely impressive. And very consistent for the verse pulling off the feat.

Would this require a calc to upgrade verses who can pull this off?

I just know that a legitimate and noticeable earthquake is supposed to be at that level. I can't guarantee if it's applicable here.

Ahh. I see. Makes sense. I'll speak with some other experts in the verse and see what they think and Maybe try and find out how to do an earthquake calc. Thanks

Well. I tried the math myself with the earthquake calculator. And here's what I got. I did two ends. One for Phoenix specifically cause his was no doubt the strongest Quake. And done at the end of the season. Which is likely why it's much stronger quake. Shown here

Phoenix downright shakes the building so hard the stand explodes

And one for the witnesses and prosecutors who tend to shake the building to smaller degrees. They still heavily shake it at times. Just to a less degree than Phoenix who indirectly destroyed something via his quake. This one is more consistent as well as very heavily consistent across games and anime.

here

April May does it at 1:50 to 2:05 more than once

Wendy Oldbag does it at 3:53

And Manfred does it at 9:25

A couple of examples from the first season of the anime.

So, How much force does it take to shake the courthouse? Let's take a look.

I will be using the Earthquake Calculations page and The "Alternative Method to determine Richter Magnitude" to determine the force it takes for Phoenix and others to cause shakes degrees of shaking

Ok so. First. We are doing this twice. And two version on each one. Once for the regular shaking that most everyone does, where it causes notable shaking. But doesn't cause damage to the surrounding area. And the two closes magnitudes it would take for these two. And then the second one will be for Phoenixs who has the most intense shake that it broke a stand. And the two closes magnitudes it would take for these two.

Everyone's average shake

Let's do this step by step.

1. Mercalli Intensity to Magnitude at distance The first step is the figure out the (Richter) Magnitude the earthquake corresponds to at the distance from the epicenter (origin) it is felt at. To do that we look at Table 1 above and pick the appropiate Intensity. Then we use that intensity to pick the appropiate "Magnitude at distance" from the table below.

Ok. So it causes heavy shaking. Enough to notice it's an earthquake. But without the issue to causing damage. This best fits under

Magnitude 3 - 4

Or

Mercalli Intensity III - IV

2. Magnitude at distance to Magnitude at origin To do this knowing how far away from the origin we measured the Magnitude at distance is necessary. We call that distance r (unit should be km). To figure out how much the actual magnitude of the earthquake is we differentiate between 3 cases. We go with the first case which is

1. r < 60km: In this case the formula is (Magnitude at distance) + 0.0238*r = Richter Magnitude of Earthquake

Now. The Courthouse has said to have At the very least 9 identical courtrooms. One courtroom which has been measured before at about 40.6 feet. So we multiple that by 9 and get 365.4 feet or 0.11137392 Kilometers

Magnitude 3 end

(Magnitude at distance) + 0.0238*r = Richter Magnitude of Earthquake.

3 + 0.0238*0.11137392 = 3.0026506993 Richter magnitude

Final step. This isn't a meteor impact or natural earthquake which leaves

Others: Used for any artificially created earthquakes or earthquakes that aren't the former two. The formula is 101.5*(Richter Magnitude)+4.8 = Energy in Joules

And we get

2013613197.38007 joules of force or 0.4812651045363455782 tons of TNT. Building. That's actually really nice.

Magnitude 4 end

4 + 0.0238*0.11137392 = 4.0026506993 Richter magnitude

Others: Used for any artificially created earthquakes or earthquakes that aren't the former two. The formula is 101.5*(Richter Magnitude)+4.8 = Energy in Joules

And we get

63676040302.9523 joules of force or 15.21893888693888641 tons of TNT. City Block. That's a Strong Lawyer.

Phoenix Wrights Shake

Let's do this step by step.

1. Mercalli Intensity to Magnitude at distance The first step is the figure out the (Richter) Magnitude the earthquake corresponds to at the distance from the epicenter (origin) it is felt at. To do that we look at Table 1 above and pick the appropiate Intensity. Then we use that intensity to pick the appropiate "Magnitude at distance" from the table below.

This one is a heavily felt earthquake that caused damage to a solid stand close to the epicenter. This is likely a

magnitude - 4-5 - Via the violent shaking. And stand being shattered despite being a distance away

Mercalli - IV-V

2. Magnitude at distance to Magnitude at origin To do this knowing how far away from the origin we measured the Magnitude at distance is necessary. We call that distance r (unit should be km). To figure out how much the actual magnitude of the earthquake is we differentiate between 3 cases. We go with the first case which is

1. r < 60km: In this case the formula is (Magnitude at distance) + 0.0238*r = Richter Magnitude of Earthquake

Now. The Courthouse has said to have At the very least 9 identical courtrooms. One courtroom which has been measured before at about 40.6 feet. So we multiple that by 9 and get 365.4 feet or 0.11137392 Kilometers

Magnitude 4 end

4 + 0.0238*0.11137392 = 4.0026506993 Richter magnitude

And we get

63676040302.9523 joules of force or 15.21893888693888641 tons of TNT. City Block Damn. That's high.

Magnitude 5 end

5 + 0.0238*0.11137392 = 5.0026506993 Richter magnitude

And we get

2013613197380.07 joules of force or 481.2651045363456319 Tons of TNT. Multi-Cityblock

Jesus.

Final tally

Everyone shakes Lower end: 2013613197.38007 Joules. Building

Everyone shakes higher end: 63676040302.9523 Joules. City Block

Phoenix shakes lower end: 63676040302.9523 Joules. City Block

Phoenix shakes higher end: 2013613197380.07 joules of force or 481.2651045363456319 Tons of TNT. Multi-Cityblock

This is where I landed when doing the quake calculation. This is my first attempt at these calculations. So if I made an oppsie. That's probably why. But I think I did it right. I followed step by step to my best ability

Back