• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Saltborn vs the Terrarian

I love Terraria a lot; and I feel like that may make me bias, so I found a game I love just as much that also has an incredibly similar feat to fight against the Terrarian. Speed equalized and salvation ending of Salt and Sanctuary (because that's when the Saltborn technically is the most similar). 6-C versions of both characters. Win by death, ko, or Bfr. The fight takes place in the Nameless God's boss room.

318AD35C-6F25-41EB-857E-5172E407E55C
440C0593-D015-4239-9FEE-9D358CE6872F

• That one dick head who saved a lawyer's soul from eternal torture, just so he could have the lawyer tax his citizens: 2
  • One extremely salty person:
  • Inconclusive:
Code:
Battle music: Nameless God theme

How can Terrarian deal with flask of defilement? It negs resistance and also makes opponents take added damage on top of that, except for holy and poison damage. I also don't see how Terrarian gets past resurrection, though I've only played Salt and Sanctuary recently so I may be forgetting an item.

Wokistan said:
How can Terrarian deal with flask of defilement? It negs resistance and also makes opponents take added damage on top of that, except for holy and poison damage. I also don't see how Terrarian gets past resurrection, though I've only played Salt and Sanctuary recently so I may be forgetting an item.
The Terrarian has his own form of durability ignoring in the form of Lightning Auora staff; also the Terrarian could just fly out of the way (and ko is allowed).

The lightning staff seems like it'd serve more to control the arena than anything else, since it just kinda spawns a circle that enemies have to walk into, but isn't that event normally done late game? I'm not entirely sure if he'd have access to it. Idk if there's a specific timeframe on resurrection, so I'll just disregard that for now. That being said, even if lightning aura is allowed in midgame, the flask seems like it would be harder to dodge than the aura all things considered, and from there there's a couple of AOE spells and homing dark magic that also covers a large area, so for now I'd give it to Saltborn for more feasible dura negation.

Also, doesn't the staff not do negation anymore due to people killing dungeon guardians and stuff with it? Or was that a DG/rage skeletron specific thing?

^ I've played both game a lot and durability negation isn't going to be the reason either win here. I don't want to pick sides (that's the whole reason i made the thread, but a flask being thrown at someone is not going to be the reason someone wins)

It would make any attack one shot, and without the dominion ending or later game Terrarian neither seems to have any dominating ability other than that. If one can negate dura and the other doesn't, they should end up winning due to doing far more damage. Flasks of defilement are broken as hell ingame lol

The Terrarian can negate durability and the Terrarian could teleport, fly, or dig to get out of the way of the flask. I would allow almost any other reason to why he wins, but throwing something at someone who has the mobility advantage isn't going to work.

Equal speed, and saltborn has dealt with enemies that can teleport and fly before. Carsejaw, Witch of the lake, Nameless god himself, axe ghosts, etc. Is there a set criteria for what items are allowed for Terrarian in each tier? Such a thing seems like it should probably be clarified for the purposes of vs debating considering the type of game Terraria is.

Sorry for not responding earlier (I went to dinner and wasn't in the mood after). But there is so many reasons why the flask won't hit the Terrarian. Not only has he used flask based weapons before, be he could: A) grab the flask, B) shoot it, C), run past it, D) fly out of the way, E) build a wall, or F) Dig under it. So no the flask isn't going to give him the win (any other reason would be fine, but throwing a flask at someone who has an entire move set based off throwing things isn't going to be hit by a random flask).

I just going to take this time to write all the advantages and disadvantages I've found for these 2. -Saltborn's advantages

• Apparently has a better way to ingore durability (I don't know how magically summoning something where ever you want would be less effective than throwing a flask, but I've barely used the lightning aura staff and my computers broken so I can't use it right now).
  • More skilled (can use a equally wide variety of weapons, but with more proficiency)
  • More experience (fought through an entire island of trained soldiers with better weaponary and experience than Terraria's enemies (has experience with people who can fly and teleportation)
  • More mobility in melee combat
  • Just as ruthless
  • Just as versatility
  • Better Magic
Disadvantages

• Less mobile over all
  • Slower fire rate
  • Can't fly
  • Can't teleport
  • Less range with most weapons
  • Worst range weapon
-Terrarian's advantages

• Could evade the Saltborn's durability negation by doing anything, but standing still.
  • Better range weapons
  • Just as ruthless
  • Just as versatility
  • better armor
  • Can fly
  • Can teleport
  • More mobility over all
  • Can regenerate with potions
Disadvantages

• Less mobile in melee combat
  • Less skilled
  • Less experienced
  • inferior magic

Lightning aura just spawns on your body and doesn't move, so at the range at which it would hit a flask just thrown into the ground probably wouldn't exactly be dodgable either. Is there a way of fighting considered "in character," for Terrarian? Because if he does something like abusing range and using a gun or something, that leaves like 1 spell of saltborn that can even hit him and would give Terrarian an advantage. SBA starting range, or something specific?

Wokistan said:
Lightning aura just spawns on your body and doesn't move, so at the range at which it would hit a flask just thrown into the ground probably wouldn't exactly be dodgable either.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCVQ1mQH84Y The lightning aura spawning on you is a complete lie. And the Terrarian could teleport or fly out of the way. Also the starting range depends on where this fight takes place; would the nameless gods boss room be a fair location or is Terraria's hell better?

Must have been misremembering how it worked then. I feel like if Terrarian can abuse range it should win through that, since even the bosses in S&S that go offscreen come back eventually minus witch of the lake 10/10 fair boss and I don't think Saltborn can really catch someone actively trying to kite. Maybe a more cramped space would lead to a less cheesy win, but its your choice if you want to change that.

Yeah I change it to just the Nameless Gods room, since it's decent sized, but not enough to kit. I don't want this to turn into who throws random durability ignoring item first match (but it possibly would). Last time I checked both like to use the best option available to them in fights (ie the Terrarian pretty much has to kit the WoF and EoC, but can kill the EoW in pretty much anyway he wants, which makes throwing their durability ignoring hax likely to happen).

Kiting and dura ignore probably are the best options, so if the first one is out of the pic its probably just who hits first with dura ignore, and Terrarians seems to outrange saltborn. You can actually get hit with the flasks ingame from an enemy then theoretically tank a hit from nameless god or something, but that's probably more along the lines of game mechanics. If resurrection isn't fast enough, I'd say terrarian via incap.

I thought this fight would have been like a long battle of epic proportions when making this thread, but both there personalities and weapons lead this to being who throws a durability ignoring item first (which sucks for me (good thing I have an other thread, and the Link thread was atleast somewhat epic enough)).

I mean, generally in fights once someone gets the upper hand there aren't realistically going to be comebacks and stuff very often, if they're smart to capitalize on their advantage. That includes real life. Basically just described fights with hax users with your complaint about both just going for an ability that makes it rather anticlimactic lol

Back